By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GREGORY FOWLER

Here is a list of all the postings GREGORY FOWLER has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: AxminsterAWVSL1000
11/01/2010 16:50:10
I spoke to Axdminster's technical dept and was advised that the problem was due to the very cold weather causing the aluminium split pulleys to contract onto the motor spindle.  He suggested I warm it with a hair dryer and this worked perfectly.  Fancy that!!  I suspect that your suggestion, Ron, of lubricating with PTFE might have worked thanks for that. I hadn't realised that the motor pulley and the spindle pulley were both split. Ta for the sensible response Marc it worked.
10/01/2010 16:11:11
My family bought this machine for me for Christmas and today I assembled it and had a go.  Low speed good fun.  Increasing the speed made no appreciable dofference and at the highest setting the speed died and the spindle could be stopped with minimal finger pressure.  Speed is altered by means of a split pulley attached to the spindle and the degree of split is altered with the control handle. there is no tension in the belt at the high setting and it just wobbles about.  Does anyone have experience of this machine.
Thread: Axminster variable speed lathe AWVSL1000
10/01/2010 15:57:46
Does anyone have experience of this machine which was bought for me by the familty for Christmas.  I assembled it today and had a go.  Ok at the lowest speed but increasing the speed made no difference and on its fastest setting the speed was so slow it could be stopped with minimal finger pressure.  The speed control is via a split pulley on the spindle which is opened by a lever but this does not appear to work.  Any ideas?
Thread: Axminster variable speed lathe AWVSL1000
10/01/2010 15:51:41
My family bought me a lathe for Christmas: the Axminster AWVSL100.  I have never held a turning chisel before.  I assembled the thing today and had a go.  Great fun at the lowest speed.  However trying to increase the speed made no appreciable difference and with the control at its maximum setting the spindle was almost at a stop and could be halted by minimal finger pressure.  This was with no workpiece in place.  The speed control is done with a split pulley wheel on the spindle which widens as you increase the speed but in fact it just makes the belt flap about.  Does anyone have experience of this machine.  I can't get hold of Axminsters technical department until tomorrow.
Thread: dbkeighley website
07/01/2010 13:10:36
Roger and George thanks for responding.  I phoned DB Keighley who have been having a problem with their website.  A very helpful man is now looking for a spare part for my Kity613.  Fingers crossed.
06/01/2010 10:57:55
thanks ron and george but this site does not receive my emails   try it and see if you can actually get through.  I cannot see what I am doing wrong.
05/01/2010 20:17:23
It still won't work for me even after recheckiing the spelling.  My yahoo mailer-daemon says they could not find a website dbkeighley.co.uk.   Perhaps its the weather.
Thanks for responding Ron.
05/01/2010 18:26:52
I am still struggling to find a spare part for a kity 613 bandsaw .  DB Keighley one of GW.com's shopping partners has some association with kity but I am unable to email them does anyone know why their page is unavailable?
Thread: Kity 613 bandsaw spares
10/12/2009 18:42:56
thanks for the suggestions Marc. Have tried these sites with no success.
Andy thanks for the info.  I did not know Kity had gone bust.  Have emailed nma so here's hoping.
greg 
10/12/2009 08:59:37
can anyone tell me where to get a spare blade guide for a Kity 613 bandsaw?
The website Kityuk is not responding.  Has something happened to them?
10/12/2009 08:57:20
Can anyone help?
I have a kity 613 bandsaw which has a broken blade guide (the one at the back).
The Kityuk website does not work and the phone number given does not receive incoming calls???
Where can I get a spare guide?
Thread: sawdust etc.
27/02/2008 17:26:00

what do you do with your sawdust and planer chips?

I have a mechanic friend who is glad of a bag to mop up oil spills but at times I have more than he needs.  I've tried burning it but it does not burn well and the slow smoking annoys the neighbours.  I suspest the local authority dump is unlikely to welcome it for free as being business waste.  Any good tips!

Thread: Problems with workshop moisture and cast iron tools
16/02/2008 19:57:00

Hi Jaden

I have had a similar problem with a gas heater causing rust on my cast iron universal and i assumed it was due to the water vapour produced by the gas.  It may be that warm air carries more moisture which then condenses on the cold metal.  You could test this out with an electric fan heater although I can't imagine a wood burner with a flue putting much water into the air of the workshop,  I leave my workshop unheated and heat up a finishing room which is insulated and where I do my glueing and varnishing etc.  I am usually fairly active in the workshop which is about 30ft by 15ft and don't notice the cold.  The finishing room is about half that size with a lower ceiling and I can afford to keep it about 55degrees fahrenheit.  An extra jumper may be the way forward. As you say there is no fun mixing oil and sawdust.

Greg 

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact