By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Garfield

Here is a list of all the postings Garfield has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: small pot made fromyew
09/02/2013 08:24:07

I hate throwing out wood, I have made a couple of these, this is the only one left

07/02/2013 15:45:02

This pot is only a couple of inches across and tall, but it was a way of using up the crotch of a yew branch that otherwise would have ended up on the fire.

Thread: Third eccentric candlestick
22/05/2011 20:13:42
Thanks for all your comments. I am really enjoying getting to improve these candlesticks and trying to get more and more off centre and finer lozenges.
21/05/2011 22:49:22
It's fair to say i have a lot of yew at present, both in branch wood and larger logs. I have been selling these candlesticks at a craft fair locally, it's a good job they are selling because not much else is at present.
21/05/2011 22:21:12
My third effort to replace the previuos two that i have sold within hours of finishing them. I started turning this one and found a large shake in the log so some of the transitions are much smaller so the shake could be turned out. This candlestick stand 9" tall and 2.5" diameter and finished with friction polish.

Thank you all for your kind comments on my previous efforts.

Garfield
Thread: Second eccentric candlestick
21/05/2011 22:10:55
I sold this one today as well.
20/05/2011 22:31:01
This is my second attempt at an off centre turned candlestick in yew. It stands approx 9" tall and 2.5" in diameter. I have finished it in friction polish. I have managed to make it much more pronounced as off centre than the previous one I made, I sold the previous one today.
Thread: First attempt at eccentric turning
18/05/2011 21:24:54
This is my first attempt at off centre turning, from a piece of yew branch. It stands about 8 - 9" tall and is approx 3" across. I finished it with friction polish.
Thread: toolpost open day.
16/05/2011 21:10:53
Steve,

I agree, Peter gives 5% discount for AWGB members. I did buy a deep hollowing tool which had been reduced but i'm not sure if it was for the open day. Peter is a really helpful man so give him a call, his details are on his website.

Garfield942

Thread: Quick job
03/03/2011 15:31:05
An air compressor and sprayer will make short work of painting your work. Well done it's a nice piece of work
Thread: two part hollowing
01/03/2011 07:36:33
oddjob,

Yes it is a split to the left that i stabilised with superglue, It shows up well in the photograph but not to bad in real life.

Garfield
Thread: Padauk bowl
01/03/2011 06:15:29
Alan,
dust extraction is next on my list until then i have to make do with my trend air powered mask that i bought from Ebay. I never turn without the mask, especially as i turn a lot of yew.
Garfield

Thread: Simon Reeves' Workshop
01/03/2011 06:11:56
Simon,

Very impressive you have so much light and space, it's fantastic. I bought a 10 x 8" shed last year but have to share it half and half with woodturning kit and the garden tools. Enjoy your woodworking.

Garfield

27/02/2011 06:17:02
Derek, Yes indeed it was, any part of me not covered also looked like i'd been in the sun for too long too. It was worth it though i think.
Thread: Child's deck chair
26/02/2011 08:41:46
Great chair, along the lines of an adirondack chair. I'm pleased that it has worked out so well too, keep up the good work
25/02/2011 21:57:25
I finished this bowl yesterday, it is approximately 10" diameter and 3" deep. I finished it with shellawax ultrashine. This piece remained unbalanced throughout the turning is there was a little sapwood at the edge.

Edited By sparky on 26/02/2011 10:00:27

Thread: candle holder
22/02/2011 20:06:43
I have just made this candle holder out of a really tatty piece of apple branch. I had originally planned for it to be a lot taller but there was a really long check in the branch. It now stands 5" tall and 3.5" across. I finished this in friction polish.
Thread: Oil lamp
22/02/2011 20:02:41
This oil lamp base is made from a yew branch. The oil holder was obviously bought. The piece stands 4" tall and 2" across finished with friction polish. The selotape just keeps the wick holder in place until i sell it
Thread: Bowl made from Douglas fir
22/02/2011 19:28:04
This bowl was made from another quadrant of the Douglas fir i liberated from Glencoe. It was about 9" tall and 6" across and finished in Danish Oil. I sold this at a craft fair last year. I really like the fact that the branch stayed in situ whilst turning it and it made a great inclusion feature.
Thread: hollow form from a yew branch
22/02/2011 19:12:42
I have just finished this hollow form and i am really quite proud of it. It stands about 10" tall and is about 7" across and was hollowed through a 2" opening. I was bought a light box for Christmas and the pic was taken using it, with great results i think. The piece is finished with EEE ultra shine.

This is the other side of the hollow form from a yew branch

Edited By sparky on 22/02/2011 21:12:38

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact