By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wood Smith

Here is a list of all the postings Wood Smith has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Planer Thicknesser recommendation
04/04/2010 22:28:05
I got my 60"x12" cast iron surface planer on Ebay for £50 about 4 years ago.  It had a 3 phase motor but it was one where the motor simply hung on the outside of the frame and the cutter was belt driven.  Dead easy to change the motor and starter switch helped by having an old motor lying around that was suitable.
One advantage of it being a really old, open frame, machine is that it weighs nearly half a ton and everything is adjustable and serviceable.  For chip extraction I just boxed in the cast iron frame and put a 4" pipe outlet at the bottom.

My Jet 12" thicknesser was a £99 Ebay purchase too at the same time.  It was one of a batch a seller had that were suffering minor damage.  He said a container of them fell off a boat and he was able to buy the damaged ones cheap and then replace the dented panels with original parts from the manufacturer.  I checked mine over and it was as new, except for the damaged box, and the cut was parallel.

It is worth scouring Ebay sometimes and looking at the odd and unpopular items with a view to modifying or adjusting them to suit if you are able.

Edited By Wood Smith on 04/04/2010 22:31:12

Thread: Woodstar DC12 Dust/Chip Extractor
04/04/2010 22:14:50
As posted on your other thread I have the same extractor and morticer.

When I got the extractor I set it up from flat pack and found that there are a lot if fiddly screws, nuts and bolts to get to.  I also ended up with lots of little cuts due to some sharp edges on some of the steel work.

Anyway, once it was together I gave it a try.  I found that the chips tended to get lodged in the inlet flange that is mounted on the side of the extractor frame.  Removal of the flexible hose allowed the chips to fall out but that was a pain to do during machining jobs.
In the end I removed the short hose from the fan to the flange and connected the flexible straight to the fan bypassing the frame mounted flange.
Chips still settle at the lowest point of the flexible hose but with a quick flick of the hose to get them airbourne they soon get sucked through.

The other modification I did was to change the two fixed and two swivel casters to four swivelling and locking casters.  It made it much easier to move around the workshop to each machine.

The filtration isn't wonderful for fine dust and so my workshop still collects a fine covering of the stuff so I will always wear a respirator now until I can get a fine dust filtration system fitted and build a sanding bench.

I have had no real problems with chip extraction from either my ancient 60"x12" surface planer or my Jet  12" thicknesser.
I did find that with the small bore of the thicknesser that if I was planing a lot of resinous wood or taking thick cuts I would sometimes get a 'log jam' of shavings in the bore adaptor that came with the Jet.   I will make a better one one day as the adaptor to 100mm plugs into the already small bore extraction point adding yet another restriction.  It would have been better if the adaptor went over the small bore spigot instead of inside it.
Thread: Axminster AW16BMES Bench Morticer
04/04/2010 21:54:43
I am using the same morticer and chip extractor in my workshop.

The morticer is really good.  I prefer the vice grip method for securing the work as opposed to the hold down fork type of morticer and for the money  it is excellent for this.  Also the two axis table is great.  The only snag is that it is very easy to grab the fore aft handle when reaching for the side to side handle.  I removed the lever bar on the knob to make it better to use.

I also got the optional drill chuck attachment.  For small drilling jobs it is a great addition to my workshop.  So much so that I have resigned my floor standing pillar drill to my engineering workshop for now to free up the floor space for the morticer.

One thing I found with my drill chuck attachment was that after some prolonged work the chuck shaft was binding in the brass collar due to the heat build up.  For the time being I have reamed out the bush a little to add some clearance and that seens to work well.  I may replace it with a phosper bronze bush or maybe needle rollers at some point.

Edited By Wood Smith on 04/04/2010 21:55:48

Thread: VOTE FOR WHO YOU WANT TO WIN THE UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE
19/03/2010 20:48:58
I figured this as a fun thing really.  If it was a serious design and make then the use of rough plywood, par softwood and mdf would make some of the designs very poor indeed.

I see these sorts of thing as a bit of fun, entertainment for the event visitors and a bit of publicity for the organisers, sponsors and universities/colleges involved.

I guess each entrant would probably get all the students in their university/college to vote in support of their own hence F having a huge amount of votes to start with and then others catching up later.

I was quite entertained by Burnley on the day and so that went a long way to them getting my vote.  That may have been different had I been there on a different day.

Richard, I'm sure I saw a bag press on the Warwickshire side but I didn't see how they got the ripple profile in the top.  

Woody
18/03/2010 22:43:56
I voted for 'E', the Burnley College entry.

They managed to make a set of four chairs, two tables and some mugs (of tea) all in the tea and biscuit theme and not just the half set shown in the vote.

Also I seem to recall seeing visitors invited to sit in the chairs so they were functional too.

Well done Burnley College, and all the competitors, for a great show.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact