By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for George Arnold

Here is a list of all the postings George Arnold has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lidded pot in african walnut 2008 (15).jpg
10/03/2008 20:42:00

Hi Mike and Richard

It makes you mad to see the good wood going to waste at these tips, thers a lot of wood to be got out of a hardwood door , or an ,old pine door, sometimes what looks like real wood is nothing but cleverly venered chip board, I often get offered furniture that people say is old and has a solid wood top but they have used chip board in the furniture industry for years,

I have done a lot of work with recycled timber, in the village where I live the water mill got destroyed by fire , Atrust was set up to restore the mill , which is now completed ,  full story of this can be seen at www.stotfoldmill.org. I saved beams after the fire these where charred on the out side but inside the timber was in good condition this was mainly pitch pine , also I saved off cuts from the timbers used to rebuild the mill, the main timbers where Scotch Pine. from this timber I have turned  bowls ,pots pens clocks etc, these I have sold at the open days at the mill to raise  money towards the money needed to rebuild the mill, when I get the hang of how to put the pictures in the gallery I'll post them. George

Thread: A quick guide to dust extraction
10/03/2008 19:49:00

Thanks OPJ

Mike I have been looking at your set up I assume the vacuum attaches to the top of the box, there seems to be a baffle that hangs down to a shelf that runs the full length of the cabinet,or is this a filter, at the right hand end of the shelf underneath that looks like a ctoth filter by the way it hangs down at an angle,then on the underside there appears to be a baffle hanging down in front of the inlet tube, what provisions in the long shelf is there for air to pass through,? do you operate this on one machine at a time ,or is it piped round the shop, have you thought of any improvements i/e a bag to collect the   residue ? sorry for all the questions perhaps it not only the dust thats thick in my work shop

Thanks George

09/03/2008 22:37:00

Thanks Mike

I had a look at your workshop pictures , I cant see much dust laying about ! it must work well. George

07/03/2008 18:16:00

Thanks  to all who answered, i'm going to fit some form of extraction, having ignored it for years, it's probaly closing the gate after the horse has bolted, but I have not given it to much thought in the past, but one or two remarks on the dust from yew and laburnam has brought it to my mind, I have  been looking at the Camvac range the spec says it filters down to 0.5 microns but it's not cheap best part of £200, I know you can't put a price on your health, Mikes idea looks interesting I wonder to what level it filters to . I suppose the type of vac you use will give the answer to that, the one I have is a Perform from Axminister, I see in their catalogue for some of the  cleaners they sell you can buy  a three stage filter, for fine dust and a quilted cloth one for MDF, I will have to contact them as I could not see it in the new catalogue, thanks agaian it will be interesting to see what other  people have to say " before the dust settles"

George 

06/03/2008 20:00:00
Hi All  
I see in Axministers catalogue Dust Collection Grounding Kit how important is this in a small dust unit?
I know dust can self ignite given the right mixture of air and dust and static electricity.
Has any body had any experience with this?
George         

Edited By sparky on 03/09/2009 17:43:28

Thread: Bandsaw advice please
28/02/2008 19:24:00

Hi AL & Derek

I had to use MFC for some units in the spare bedroom to hold the computor  and shelves for files etc, and the wife wanted them Beech faced , normally Im cutting   bowl blanks , out of greenwood, or any other timber I can get for turning.

I did upgrade the fence on my Record band saw the one they where supplying at the time I purchased  mine was rubbish, I got one from Axminister a much sturdier fence altogether, but Record band saws are much improved now, and with a 5year guarantee that can't be bad.

George

27/02/2008 19:39:00

Hi All

The Record band saw master class D V D is an excellent instruction  tool. to enable you to set the band saw up correctly, but to cut straight your blades must be sharp and in good order, as to letting of the tension I leave mine on all the time, in Stiles and Bates catalogue , I think it was the 2006 they had an article about band saws, and they had found that letting on and of the tension caused the blade to crack, I don't know what other people have found out,  The blades I use come from a local saw sharpeners they join there own up , I have found that cutting melamine coated chip board soon takes the edge of the blade, and of course if you cut a lot of discs this to  effects the blade when you wish to cut straight,

I think I'll give Dragon blades a try next time I order . as they say word of mouth is the best reccommendation

George

Thread: knock-down Bed Rail Fasteners
23/02/2008 22:20:00

Hi All Have you looked in Ironmongry Directs catalogue  they have listed knock down fittings  the contact no is 0845 450  0020 or www. IronmongersDirect .com they have a tremendous selection of ironmongery and an excellent service

Best of luck George

Thread: The london woodworking show
17/02/2008 17:05:00

I forgot one plus side I got my shoes cleaned for nothing! I resisted buying the pot of polish for £10, I watched the demo of the man putting in screws, as I must have done every year I've been but I was not tempted to buy , I have found in the past these gadgets seem to work wonderfully when demonstrated but don't perform when you get them home, I wonder if any one who purchased one how they got on with it,? the kitchin cupboard has loads of gadgets that skin this peel that, chop up food, get used once and then left in the box they came in, Per haps the old adage of once bitten twice shy  comes in to play.

George

14/02/2008 21:11:00

I must agree with a lot of the comments the show has been going down hill over the years , But I do like the chance to see  and study new products that are on the market , the write ups in magazine are good but it's not like hands on, I liked the look and feel of the Record Nova 1624-44 and am tempted to upgrade from the Axminster M950 that I have had for a number of years , it is not a cheap exercise it means changing chucks , or have the chucks and face plates bored out, I will be 79 this year and I am trying to convince myself I will get the benefit out of the purchase.

Perhaps the show should be every other year? at least I did not have to pay the full price I booked them on line and got a discount, and .  the parking is free, for how much longer ?WE took our own food and drink so I did not find out the cost at the show,but it is one of my pet gripes how a spoonful of coffee powder and a drop of hot water can cost so much, I have never been to the DM show but am thinking  of going this November.

It;s a day out with four mates once a year whether we go next year we will have to wait and see.

George

Thread: Instructors in Herts / Beds?
01/02/2008 19:56:00

Yes Rob, Bedford Saw is still very active Gary Rance and Stuart King are regular visitors, they come and judge the Christmas fun day as well as demonstrating during the year. Roy and Phil are still instructing on Saturdays, The demo for Sat  2nd Feb is Les Thorne, 9-30 to 3-30. Good luck John in your search for instruction,Bedford saw is woodturning but you might find some  one at the club who is a cabinet maker they are a mixed bunch from all trades, 

Best Wishes \George. 

Thread: pen making
28/01/2008 17:44:00
Hi John The number is 01923 467 676 J Simble and Sons Watford , you can also try Axminister 0800 371822 you can get their catalogue lots of good things for the wood turner in there George
27/01/2008 17:24:00
Hi John I make alot of pens using biro inserts I obtained the long drill from Simbles in Watford if you are near there it's lika an alladins cave, I think they are still about they used to have a stand at the Wood turning Show  at the Aly Pally. George
Thread: Instructors in Herts / Beds?
22/01/2008 21:09:00

Hi John you are requesting information on instrucion in Beds Herts area I don't know where in the two counties you live, but if you are near to Bedford come and join the Woodturning club at Bedford Saw and Tool Co Ampthill Road  Bedford M K 429JP  Tel 01234 217417 they meet every Sat from 9oclock untill 12oclock, once a month they have a top profesional  to demonstrate, there are two good turners Roy and  Phil on hand on the saturdays to help show and advise you  on turning, the shop sells all woodturning gear, at Christmas we have a fun day members are invited to enter a competion to turn an object in ten minutes, there a raffle and food laid on, it's a real good day, you'll find the members very friendly, hope you get on with the turnig okay it is a very satisfying hobby, I took it up when I retired 13 years ago and  am still learning. Best Wishes George

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact