By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for George Arnold

Here is a list of all the postings George Arnold has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Get Woodworking Live 2011
10/02/2011 19:40:44
Ron
It looks likely I will attend on the saturday after all, will be booking in advance in a day or rwo,

George

P/S hope you got the entry for the comp in,

George
Thread: steady rest
07/02/2011 20:35:32
Ian
This is a steady I made several years ago, I have got to modify it as I have changed lathes and it has a different center height, I will make it so it opens up so as I can put it on the work with out moving the work from t

he lathe, in the photo I have mounted a salt grinder to modify it to take a different mechanism  George

Edited By George Arnold on 07/02/2011 20:35:56

Thread: Myford Mystro
07/02/2011 20:22:57
Steve
It looks like a lot of lathe for the money, I see it is in your neck of the woods,well the same county. perhaps it is close enough to have a look at it? I see that no one has bid as yet, I don't know if that's a bad sign. I don't think the head swivels they are a well made lathe , what would you buy for the same money for a new lathe and all the bits with the lathe. ?

George
31/01/2011 19:33:03
I wonder what the thinking was changing it from three days to a two day show? was the site not available or was it the money to hire Aly Paly, we will find out what effect it has on attendance. it would be interesting to know.

Thank you for the list of exhibiters Claie.

George
Thread: lathes which one
30/01/2011 20:25:18
Sam
£400 limits you to a similar type of lathe to the one you are using now. if you want electronic controls they are a lot more expensive. Axminster do a small lathe with elctronic controls and that is £535 the AW1416VS but the spindle thread is different to the lathe you have now so you have to look at that when changing lathes.
Have you looked on Ebay? £500 will go further.

George
30/01/2011 20:01:12
Ron
Thank you for your kind offer, I am not sure I will be there my transport is usually available on the Sunday Also the confusion as to who will be exhibiting, I looked down the list and agree with other members it is last years I looked at one and he stated he would be there on the 12-13-14th even the information on the competition states the entries must be there by Sat 1oclock judging to take place throughout Sat and the results to be announced Sun at 3-15 oclock are you going to hang about till then to see who has won,
If all the people who normally go on a Sunday go on Saturday I think it will be over crowded. there certainly seems several points that want clarifying.

So I think I will in all probability miss this year George
29/01/2011 17:45:34
I was looking at the dates for this years show 12-13 march? only for two days this year no sunday wil spoil it for many people seems a shame all that organising for two days.

Perhaps I have miss read it, just rechecked definitly states just the two days , I could not see a competition entry in the Good Woodworking, yes I can down load one from the web site.

I think a lot of people come on a sunday. as it is the only spare day they have.

George
Thread: Magazine subscription
28/01/2011 20:04:20
The trouble with metric is I can step a yard (just) but no way can I step a meter when stepping out the garden etc , I still buy my milk in pints my beer in pints and travel miles to the gallon.

George

Thread: Black squirel wih fat balls
26/01/2011 20:18:59
Dennis Liked the video can't say that about you know who's new Avatar

George
Thread: Why do they do that
26/01/2011 20:10:06
Why do they put the competition entry on the back of an article? I know Les Thorne is slagging of his mother inlaw but it is all part of his turning article,
Yes I can photo copy the entry page as I have a copier.

This is in the copy of the Good Woodworking no237 for 10 sets of Trend Premium cutters , very nice prizes

George
Thread: Black squirel wih fat balls
25/01/2011 16:12:41
No Ron it's not what it seems.
I hung fat balls on the fence to feed the birds and they kept disappearing in one go , we kept watch and the culptit was a black squirel nicking the balls and taking them off

not the best of photos George
Thread: My first clock
25/01/2011 15:52:01
Nice one Paul
I blame the computor it often misses letters, or prints rhe next letter on the key board, I must proof read before posting.

George
Thread: Just playing with shapes
24/01/2011 20:20:44
Derek
Sound as if you are on the "write lines"

George
Thread: My first clock
24/01/2011 20:14:11
Paul ecellent first clock. my first lathe was home made, on which I did a lot of work , now I have a Nova,of course it dosn't make you a better turner only practice achieves that, but it is a lot nicer to use, a variable speed wouldd be evev better to use, as has been said before, enjoy your turning and practise.

George
PS Weeding aniversary wouldn't a Hoe be more useful. HO_HO!

Edited By George Arnold on 24/01/2011 20:16:05

Thread: Just playing with shapes
24/01/2011 19:59:54
I agree with all the comments so far. as Ron says you have won the approval of SWMBO, but there comes a time when "oh something else to dust" is the welcome.especially when we are informed that minimism is the the way forward.and we are decluttering!

George
Thread: Our Christmas Competition
22/01/2011 11:44:07
Ron
I see you plumt for a car! couldn't you get your balls to run in a straight line? I assume you made them at home and brought in the finished article. I never got to our clubs Christmas do this year, we normaly have a competition to turn something on the day in 10 minutes, whigh is far more stressful,
Glad you had a good day George
Thread: I am now live!
20/01/2011 19:21:39
Alan that is a very impressive catalogue of your abilities, hope all goes well for you and you go from strength to strength ,wishing you every success for the future.
George
Thread: Ally Pally Turnng competition
11/01/2011 20:08:57
And I just thougt it was a turning/woodwork competitionshows how naive I am, or is it the older I get the sillier I become .I did think about doing something but can't seem to get motivated  have not done much over the last year, we will have to see.

George
Thread: Cabinets in Ash and Padouk
11/01/2011 19:55:33
I can see the picture and a very good job it looks, well done Michael
George
Thread: Back in the Saddle
11/01/2011 19:52:05
Derek
That's good news, glad you are back on the hoof again. take it stead(y) hope you don't have any more hurdles to overcome, look forward to seeing the finished horse.

George
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact