By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for George Arnold

Here is a list of all the postings George Arnold has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Skittles.
21/12/2011 20:24:27

Ron
That's the trouble, i've seen it before nobody has any use for the scrap untill you show an interest in it , then they see the value of it, and the supply dries up, it's sods law.

George

Ps enjoy your prize, it's for sharing,

George

Edited By George Arnold on 21/12/2011 20:26:49

Thread: First Colouring
21/12/2011 20:17:09
Very nice Derek just enough colouring to enhance a very nice bowl, I love the smell of cherry when you turn it.

George
Thread: Greetings
19/12/2011 22:07:06
May I wish you all.including absent friends . A Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year, may all your wishes come true, and may the world find a way to end all conflicts and live in peace.
George
Thread: Skittles.
19/12/2011 21:56:49
Ron
That is an excellent show of talent, the club put on a good show, that is one of the joys of turning, you can take what others call scrap and turn it into beutiful pieces of art,
Goodshow George.
Thread: Hurdy Gurdy
06/12/2011 19:51:44
Ron
Are you looking for a job ? when your roll in the grotto is over,HO!HO!HO

George
05/12/2011 21:04:29
Danny Try puting building a hurdy gurdy in the search and a lot of information is there for you to look through.
I had a go at one several years ago but it never got finished, it is still on a shelf in the shed, I am trying to remember where I put the instructions i used.

Have a look and good luck George
Thread: Done! Finished! Hurrah! Yippee!
02/12/2011 19:41:03
Steve
Looks like you have it sorted, well done, I can't get in mine at the moment, my son is a plasterer he had to empty his lock up, and he deposited his gear in the garage which I use as a workshop,

George
Thread: burr elm bowl
02/12/2011 19:35:57
Good job Dennis , nice and chunky.

George
Thread: News Section
29/11/2011 19:55:15
I looked at the site for the Kent show, I see they charge £68 per square metre for the stands I don;t know how that comperes with London charges? and what restriction apply when setting up your own stand, i/e some of these places won't let you lift a finger you have to pay their staff.
I did not see the entry charges for visitors.

George
29/11/2011 19:40:32
Thank's Derek it seems we where looking in the wrong place, but it seems the rumours where correct , no Aly Pally for 2012, I think thats the end of road for the show,

George
Thread: The Ooops Bowl
28/11/2011 19:47:22
As Richard says most of us have been there it's how you overcome it that counts, I like the idea of Richards foot in the same material, or you could make a foot and use a contrast wood as you did Derek

George.
Thread: New Moderator
28/11/2011 19:37:45
I had the new Good Woodworking this morning, had a quick look through but could not find any notice about the show, discovererd we are to have a new editor Mark Gould,
I of course could have missed the announcement.

George
Thread: Expansion!
28/11/2011 19:26:10
Maillee
It's nice to read some good news for change, with all the talk of a double dip, and every one down sizing, hope it goes well with you for the future, good luck, you certainly deserve it with the effort you put in.

George
Thread: New Moderator
22/11/2011 19:48:24
Danny
Welcome to the site ,Sparky is a tough act to follow. I see you have already been to work
good luck.
George
Thread: Christmas Complaint
18/10/2011 12:05:18
Sunday we looked round a local garden centre , it was jam packed with christmas goodies, and, and they are like the Light Brigade ( know how to charge) We went on to a Homebase store not a cristmas article in sight, but that would not last they had cleared a large area ready to put out their display, as for HotX Buns they are available all the year round,
I will be puting uo our lights this year, if i don't fall foul of the Green Party or the Health and Safety crowd,
As the rhyme goes" Christmas comes but once a year and when it does it cost you dear"
BAR! HUMBUG! George
Thread: whats it made of?
18/10/2011 11:44:14
Furniture has had very little solid wood in it for years, the use of venered chip board is a regular material used, it is not only cheaper but is stable, As Mailee discribes many doors are made in this fashion. My daughter has a kitchen table and chairs made out of rubber wood it is cut into strips and stuck together to form solid pieces ,the table legs and chairs are all formed in this fashion , as for competing on price you have no hope mass production and low overheads of the foreign supliers, You go in to Wilkinsons and look at the price of their bowls and wooden treen. you can't buy the wood for the price , or the works for a salt or pepper grinder.
Have a look at the price of turned standard stair parts in Wickes,
With the price of furniture what gets me is the offers No payments for a year then four years interest free payment, Who lends you £400 for no interest, I reckon on a suite costing £400 they buy them in for a £100 pounds, with the mark up thats £200, this sum is paid to the retailers by the finance company, and you pay £400 for the priviledge of the so called interest free loan, by the time it is paid for it is wornout.
That's my gripe for today.
George

Thread: Christmas Complaint
13/10/2011 20:41:12
Something else to cheer you up over Christmas, DON'T have a car accident in our doctors surgery there is a notice.
IF YOU ARE SEEING THE DOCTOR TO DAY FOLLOWING A ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT( NOW CALLED A ROAD TRAFFIC COLLISION) PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NHS AND YOU WILL BE INVOICED FOR YOUR TREATMENT
Tell Santa to be careful on his journey delivering your present you have asked for
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

George, HO! HO !HO!
Thread: GW Magazine
08/09/2011 20:00:57
GW isuue 245 dropped through the door today, not had chance to read it yet.
George
Thread: Signed up!
06/08/2011 21:00:39
Whoop's I misread the post refering to the letter Ts , the sign writers had spelt it with 2 Ts not that it should have 2Ts, in the word, a senior moment, the trouble is they get closer together and last longer, ,

George
05/08/2011 20:05:05
Mailee
Are you sure about two Ts my chambers dictionary only spells it with one, and I looked in yellow pages and all Furniture stores and removal vans had only one T Put the two you have on the back doors , people have more time to read following than passing, nice van for your excellent work creates a good impression.

George
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact