By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for George Arnold

Here is a list of all the postings George Arnold has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Was it better value?
08/09/2010 20:09:43
I have recently been looking at some old  Pratical Wood Working circa 1978 cost 50p.

It had eight projects to do plus other articles and previews,
What I liked it was produced on a monthly basis! not on this four weekly period favoured by  Good Woodworking. a clever merchantising  /marketing plan to get 13 instead of 12 subscriptions for the year!

A Dewalt band saw giving 6in cut 12in throat was a healthy £273-24 a radial saw  was £385-56.

Was it better value food for thought

George 
Thread: Incinerator at Aldis
07/09/2010 19:32:40
Richard
 I  would have thought they  would be banned by now, with all the regulation that are in place today,

George
Thread: Target Stands
07/09/2010 19:28:47
Julian

Very impressive, are you a "toxophilite" or did you just do the wood work, anyway it's right on target,

Well done George
Thread: Where can I get this?
07/09/2010 19:22:37
Richard
 You are correct , you can get a chuck that moves the jaws  individually , and also simultaneously. , the one I looked at is made in the Punjab by Jagdev Machine Tools,  but it looked as if it was more for engineering the jaws could be adjusted to hold an odd shaped component . rather than off center turning.

You learn something new every day,

Thank you Richard..

George
06/09/2010 20:25:57
Dave

I had that happen, I think I pressed the button marked ctrl instead of button to print a capital.
 If that makes sense but I am no computor wizard  George
06/09/2010 20:19:45
Richard
I think you will find that a combination chuck is what we now call a scroll chuck, that takes all the accessories, and holds in compression and  expansion, I don't think you can get a chuck that is adjustable on each jaw, as well as self centering as a scroll chuck,

I can of course be wrong, that would not be the first time. 

George
06/09/2010 19:54:20
Richard
Are you incinerating that Sparky's information is incorrect, I must agree  about it not being echo-friendly, the wood ash could be recycled on the garden as potash so long as it is only clean wood that is burnt.

Did you ever come across the Salamander heater that used old oil for the fuel? I think that was even less friendly.

George
Thread: Georges chuck shaft
06/09/2010 19:43:50
Ron
In Axminster catalogue on page 555 the very thing under the name of Carver Vice Arbor for £19-99 , but it does not have the index head that yours has got using the old shaft,

A good idea but already on the market

Sorry Ron another missed opportunity to make your fortune

George
06/09/2010 17:02:55
Welcome Richard

You don't say what chuck you have now  or what you don't like about it, if you go on WWW.axminster,co.uk you will find loads of chucks , with a wide range of jaws, I have a Multistar Titan which is a good chuck , it depends how much you wish to spend, but the choice is endless.

George
Thread: Rocking Horse #2
02/09/2010 19:38:47
Derek

The trouble with MDF there are no knot holesFor making rocking horses

George
Thread: How do you like your gravy?
02/09/2010 19:33:02
Ron
It's alright so long as it is clean and we have to eat.

Sparky
  Sad Sam is up North, Thick   curried gravy.

George
31/08/2010 12:51:44
Baz

I think it was to thick to wrestle in! it would hardly move on the plate!  cultural

Derek
 A fly would not stand a chance

Sparky
 They would not serve it in france, with or with out chips! the second time it was with cottage pie,  

George               
30/08/2010 20:18:14
Recently  I have had some terrible gravy out , I had pie and chips and the gravy was  a thick brown multi purpose liquid that could have been used to paint the garden furniture , or on a cold day used for a replacement for tarmac .   twice that happened luckily I ask for the gravy on its own the second time so I was able to avoid having it over every thing in a coagulated mess.

George. 
Thread: Rocking Horse #2
30/08/2010 19:58:51
Derek

You are galloping along, nice one, look forward to the comleted horse.

George
Thread: Comet IV
30/08/2010 19:52:03
Richard

An exceptional piece of work , both the conception and the executation, a one off.

George
Thread: Interception
30/08/2010 19:47:53
Richard
 I must agree with all the other comments .

George
Thread: how to loose your fingers
19/08/2010 19:21:53
His hands look safe. but where is the mask and dust extractor cutting stone is a very messy dusty job . his footwear dosn't look up to safety regulation either. and no hard hat! or ear defenders.

George

Edited By George Arnold on 19/08/2010 19:23:10

Thread: Bury St Edmunds Club Competition
18/08/2010 16:11:10
Ron
 Been away for a few days, so a bit late with my comments, I agree with Richard  my choice is the fruit it shows off  the use of colour, but there are some nice pieces on show, congratulation  the club  looks as if it is going from strength to strength.
Richard the club I go to is 15 miles away, but I don't get there as often as I would like.

George
Thread: Georges chuck shaft
11/08/2010 16:38:17
Ron
Glad you found a use for the shaft, I actually had 3 shafts , that's another story, so I still have one to make a similar set up if I require, good idea I have welding gear so can add a box section.

George
Thread: Hollow(ish) bowl
10/08/2010 19:20:27
Derek
The shape looks alright to me, if you had made the base smaller it would completely change the shape, good effort  was it on the new lathe??

George
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact