By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kevin Higgins

Here is a list of all the postings Kevin Higgins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: All Electra Beckum HC260 E
15/01/2013 19:09:44

Hi Gareth ,

I have that machine and got the belt easily at a bearins company . Only cost about 5 euro . I'm sure they cant be difficult to get where you are .

Thread: Electra Beckum HC260
09/12/2012 14:15:44

Hi All ,

As per my previous posts , I was given an ancient Elektra Beckum HC260 planer last year . I've been working on it occasionally and am gled to say its running really well now . After plenty of elbow grease and tlc . Only thing is.... I was not given the fence with it , Id' like to get manufacturers fence for it but the cost on-line is up near £100 , not including the conversion and the shipping to me here in Ireland .

I'm hoping that some generous sort of woodworker out there has this fence thrown in the back of a shed somewhere gathering dust , I am willing to pay a reasonable fee for it and shipping ? Also , if someone had the side mortice attachment too , i'd be very grateful ...(probably pushing my luckk but if you dont ask you wont recieve !!) Heres hopin !!!

Thanks,

Kevin

Thread: clamping
22/11/2012 22:05:45

time to get out the hand plane methinks...............

Thread: Which hinges ??
18/09/2012 15:09:01

Thanks Derek ,

It makes perfect sense , I think a large DOH !!!! is needed ... Sometimes I think so much about things , the obvious answer doesn't jump out at me....It's a simple solution really.

Thanks ,

Kevin .

18/09/2012 13:05:33

Hi All ,

I'm doing some wainscot panelling in a bathroom for a client , I've to panel in a boiler and want to give a continious look throughout . I'd rather not use parliment hinges as they would be too visible , I need a discreet hinge that will allow the door (panel0 to swing out around the skirting board . I'm hoping to leave around a 2mm gap around the door and the main issue is that the skirting is that the skirting is running up to and across the panel . Any advice ?

Thread: Scheppach ts4010
04/09/2012 10:51:17

Hi All ,

I have had the Scheppach ts4010 for about ten years now ( its the one with the aluminium top ) . It's been a great saw for me and I now find I'm cutting a lot more sheet material . The sliding carriage is quite small and it difficult to cut sheets accurately without having roller stands all around . Does anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement table with the extending arm to carry full sheets ? If yes , are they expensible or would I be better off upgrading to a bigger saw ( which I cant afford ) . Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks ,

Kevin.

Thread: Elektra beckum HC260E, Vintage ?
26/01/2012 15:26:14
Hi Paul ,
I got a new drive belt fairly easily here in Ireland so I presume you will pick one up fairly easily . I'll take the number off it later for you . I've been having the same problem with mine while thicknessing too ... I have not been using it but meant to look at it when I get time , I presume the outfeed roller is set too high or maybe wear over the years . I dont see a way of adjusting it though . Maybe you will be able to solve the problem and let me know ?
Kevin H.
Thread: Scheppach Basato 1 Bandsaw , Manual ?
23/01/2012 13:59:24
Hi Guys ,
Just picked up one of these second hand and am looking for a manual if anyone has one lying around. A copy or scanned version would do great .
Thanks,
Kevin.
Thread: My new 'toy'
16/01/2012 20:36:12
Best of luck with it ............I'm so jealous

Kevin H.
Thread: equipment for spraying
09/01/2012 21:20:36
Hi Zac ,

I use a Fuji HVLP spray gun . I dont do huge amounts of spraying but I find this machine excellent . I got it off Rutlands . I once worked for a bigger company and did a lot of spraying , they had a compresser fed Kremlin gun which drew the paint direct from large containers (25L) . It was a brilliant and almost foolproof system . Excellent results all the time. Of course , they had a dedicated spray shed with extractors and heated drying room.

Regards,
Kevin.
Thread: new to forum and woodworking
07/01/2012 08:49:51
Hi Denis ,

Of course , I meant design alterations .... not mistakes .lol

Kevin

06/01/2012 22:27:02
Hello and welcome ,

We all need advice and no question is stupid when it comes to woodworking . You never stop learning with woodwork and we learn as much from mistakes than from successful projects . I wish you well and hope to see more of you on the forum .

Kevin.

Thread: Elektra beckum HC260E, Vintage ?
03/01/2012 21:28:00
Hi Nick
That would be great , I've not been using it to be honest but I have been pondering making a hood and fence . I put new blades on it but need to do some more to it , I find that the infeed and outfeed rollers are a little worn so it seems that the outfeed roller during thicknessing is a little too high ? it means that the timber bounces and gets lots of snipe . I really must get into shed and do some pottering .
Rgds,
Kevin H

Thread: Got There At Last
16/11/2011 20:06:34

Brilliant. Well done
Thread: Welcome to my Workshop!
15/11/2011 08:58:04
Nice space though , even if a bit cluttered . I am the same .. I will post some shots of my workshop soon..... once I've tidied it... . As for power tools , I have 5 routers although my vice seems to be extractors , I have 4 . I dont know why ? I just seem to buy them .. counselling needed maybe ?
Thread: chestnut
24/10/2011 13:35:18

It's horse chestnut ..
24/10/2011 10:57:40
Hi all ,

I've been given a load of chestnut offcut from a local farmer for firewood . Looking at it , I'm wonder is Chestnut any good for turning ? I dont currently turn but intend on taking it up in the future , should I just throw some up in the attic of my garage for a few years and forget about it . I also like to make mirrors and picture frames , is it stable enough for this is I turn it into planks ? any info gratefull recieved .

Slan go foill ,

Kevin.
Thread: Melamine Faced Chipboard
10/10/2011 20:51:09
Hi Carl ,

If you dont have a saw with a scoring attachment , the best you can do it get a really good triple chip blade , one with as many teeth as possible , one side will then be fine with minimal breakout on the other side . The blade needs to be new or really sharp . The chipping will increase as the blade loses edge . Freud do a good range of blades and a good supplier should be able to advise you on the best blade for your requirements . Obviously , it depends on whether you are using a bench saw or a circular saw .

Kevin.
Thread: Sheet material cutting aid
09/10/2011 22:03:48
Hi ,
great to hear they are readily available , I work alone and I might pick one up myself , nothing worse than the sheet or panel splitting at the end . As for the detective work , most of it was old style , rummaging through my old mags although .... where would we be without the internet ??? Not just for researching but for friendly banter and the passing of experiences ( good and bad), that we all can learn from . Until next time .

Slan.
09/10/2011 20:45:55

Hi again ,
I've been checking and am glad to say my mind is still working , I knew I had it in a magazine somewhere . It was in THE ROUTER mag from feb/mar 2004.... I know... how did I remember it . It was called the Wilton saw clamp and at the time was available from Spectra Tools Ltd (phone 01694 670371 ).Being from
Ireland I dont know this company but anyway.. Now ...of course , this company might not exist anymore so I googled wiltontools.com but could not find the item on their site . It retailed at £5.99 back then . I since have found it on another site GRAINGER.COM so Ive copied and pasted below for peoples info , they are out there but might not be too easy to get as we ( maybe I shouldnt generalise) are not into gadgets as much as the yanks!!!! anyway have a look below . Funnily enough , the country of origin is the U.K so surely you can get one .

WILTON Clamp, Saw

Saw Clamp, Throat Depth 2.75 Inches, Capacity 0.75 Inches, 4.25 x 3.0 x 1.5 Inches, Holds Cut Off Material Securely
Grainger Item # 6HH06
Price (ea.) $6.10
Brand WILTON
Mfr. Model # SC1
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 0.3
Usually Ships** While Stock Lasts
Catalog Page No. N/A
Country of Origin
(Country of Origin is subject to change.)
United Kingdom

Clearance Center Item
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact