By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Old timer

Here is a list of all the postings Old timer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: old plane
14/04/2017 19:37:14

Hi to you all, I have been away from the forum for some, but now I am back, I am now retired and would like to purchase a Record number 02 hand plane, if any one can help please let me know. many thanks old timer.

Thread: Full set of Practical wood working
04/12/2013 18:54:24

Hi, lads, Thank you for your good wishes after my illness ,Much to my surprise, I have received only one reply to my add to pass on the Practical woodworking magazines, from 1966 till the last one this year, I had one person that showed interest but nothing came of it, the person did not get back to me, I would have thought that a complete collection would have been something that some one would have liked, and would make a nice present for a woodworker at Christmas, if I get no more interrest in them, I shall distribute them around the local charity shops, shame....well have a nice Christmas to you all. OLD Timer.

Thread: problems on the web list
02/12/2013 16:15:05

Hi,,Thanks for the info, after having a word with Steve, and then having an other go, I am now able to access the bench banter again, they don't call me OLD timer for nothing

29/11/2013 19:44:31

I have been away from the good woodworking for some time,as I had an heart attac and pneumonia, there appear to have been some changes made, when I left click on bench banter, the name chages to a grey colour, and I am unable the open the file, this seems to do the same on other files. dose this happen to any others readers ??

Thread: Full set of Practical wood working
28/11/2013 15:45:20

Hi to you all, I have not been on the forum for some time now as I have been very ill, glad to say that I am on the mend. I have the " Practical woodworking magazine from issue one , up to the last copy this year". I would like to know if anyone would take them all off my hands, and offer me a reasonable price for them, As there are so many, you would be required to collect them. I am in Tetbury gloss. you can contact me, through the forum, contact a member.

hope you all have a Good Christmas and new year.

Thread: ZYLISS VICE ON EBAY
29/04/2013 09:13:26

Hi, every one, the Zyliss has gone and it fetched a lot of money.

25/04/2013 17:50:10

Some time back, some one was looking for a Zyliss vice, well I was looking on EBay,the other day and there is one at the moment for sale . number 360642583779, hope this helps you.

Thread: copying from one mag to another
06/01/2013 20:54:06

I recently posted an item on "Up to old tricks again" on bench banter, But I see that it has mysteriously disappeared, has any one any idea why, it has also been removed from my list of posting, .. strange. it seems that the mag can't take constructive criticism. It is not very democratic

old timer.. Happy new Year to you all.

06/01/2013 20:54:06

I recently posted an item on "Up to old tricks again" on bench banter, But I see that it has mysteriously disappeared, has any one any idea why, it has also been removed from my list of posting, .. strange. it seems that the mag can't take constructive criticism. It is not very democratic

Edited By Old timer on 06/01/2013 20:55:38

06/01/2013 20:50:43

21/09/2012 13:59:45

Hi, I have Goodwoodworking from issue one to the last one , I also have The Practical woodworking from issue one,to the latest one, I was not all pleased to find that an atical that was in GW in may 2008, has been reissued in 2012, in a sister magazine, this to me means that I have payed for the same item twice, I know that we are living in hard time, but I would prefer to see new, and not used before items in the magazines,. are the magazine running out of ideas,??

Thread: Zyliss vice
21/09/2012 13:36:06

Hi, Just incase anyone is interested in purchasing a "Zyliss vice," there are three on EBay ,two from the UK . one from the USA. I enclose the item numbers

I got mine at a Car boot , for a fiver. it comes in handy some times.

EBay item numbers

UK . 170911657995 one from USA. 271056019845

UK 110954506851

From old timer,

Thread: small chest of draws
08/06/2012 13:26:31

hi Peter Dunsmore, I have just looked at Your veneering of a small chest of drawers, I would like to know if the plans for the chest of drawers are available .

Thread: missing parts
10/06/2011 11:04:33
Hi , I have recently refurbished a Progress number one bench drill, I am missing one part , the spring that lifts the pulley cover, I would like to know if the ferm of Elliott drills is still in business, or has been taken over by another company, if so dose anyone have any information on this subject.
I see from one of the threads that a question regarding Progress drill has been asked befor but on a different subject. If Any one has a spring, perhaps they could let me know the size of it, it's overall length, and diameter, so that I may be able to source one on the nett.

Edited By Old timer on 10/06/2011 11:06:39

Thread: Lace making bobbins
21/08/2010 06:48:22
Hi Derek,
If you wish to take up  Lace  Bobbin making ,there is a very good book by" David Springett "   ( ISBN 0-9517157 47    Turning lace Bobbins,

I suggest you see if your Library has a copy for you  to have a look at  before you decide to purchase it, it is very interesting work, and you don't need a lot of timber to keep you going,  you need good eye site or a magnifying glass over your lathe, I have done some of this work and have enjoyed  doing  it,

Best of luck with your endeavors

Edited By Old timer on 21/08/2010 06:50:21

Thread: a sweet lid
29/06/2010 18:55:41
I had a little time on my hands recently, and saw a fly hovering around the sugar bowl, this is a very common glass one, The thought came across my mind , that the bowel needed a lid, so I set  about making one,

you can see more photos in my albums

Edited By Old timer on 29/06/2010 18:56:52

Edited By Old timer on 29/06/2010 18:58:03

Edited By Old timer on 29/06/2010 18:59:09

Thread: Copy Cat
14/06/2010 20:29:48
Hi Good-woodworking team,I enjoyed the article of copy turning, on page 90, you show a photo of barley spindles, I would like to see an article on how these were made, together with the tools, and or machines used in the production of the twist. I am aware of the methods of doing twist work, but only in a small way,it is very time consuming, I feel sure that some other method must be employed in mass production, EG some form of router system or jig arrangment, this is the part of the job that I would like to get more infomation on.
keep up the good work  john
Thread: Two pound bargain
07/05/2010 07:40:46
Hi Tony,
Your a man after my own heart, I like to purchase old tools and refurbish them, you were lucky to get a No  4 1/2 ,It looks to me that you have made a good job of restoring it, as regards to the handle, Axminster tools sell replacement handles, look at page 435,of the latest catalog ,or go on the web site,( item no 111073) they are rosewood so it   would  really make your plane look first class.

I have several NO 4 1/2 planes, I don't need all of them, but I would like to get my hands on a( No8 Stanley, ) if any one has one , in good condition  that they would like sell me I would be interested,contact me through message a member. ps, I would like a Stanley No 1, also a No 2, but I haven't won the lottery yet

Edited By Old timer on 07/05/2010 07:45:26

Thread: Ash logs
06/05/2010 16:50:41
Hi Smiggy,
 I had some ash loges, around 7 to 8 ins, in diameter, I split the down the pith centre and turned them green,  with the natural edge leaving a wall thickness of 10 percent, of the diameter, I then put them together with the cuttings in a plastic bag and left them under the bench to dry, after about four months I returned them, they turned out fine, the bark was still tight , a lot depends on how dry your workshop is, it pays to look at the pre turned bowels to see that they are free from moulds and so on from time to time, I also split some of the logs down to make some stool legs, I  turned them  and left them over size to allow for shrinkage and panted the ends with paraffin wax, I left them outside under cover to dry and they are still there, none of them have split at all, but they have all gone oval this will be corrected when they are turned to the finished size, hope that this is of some help to you.

Edited By Old timer on 06/05/2010 16:54:24

Thread: Cracking Antiques
19/04/2010 17:41:25
Hi Derek . You put it much better than me and in a lot less words I fully agree with you.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Triton
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact