By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ray Small

Here is a list of all the postings Ray Small has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: first visit to show
20/03/2011 23:21:30
Thanks Baz

Ray
17/03/2011 02:25:56
Anybody know the results of the turning comp? I went on Friday so didn't see the judging.

Cheers

Ray
Thread: Workshop Walls... Advice sought
20/08/2009 08:21:39
Thanks Ron... that sounds pretty cool... I'll have a look at that tonight. Good tip about setting up the yahoo e mail address first.

Ray
18/08/2009 23:58:07
Hi Matthew,
Sorry, you're not going to flog me loads of lovely hand-tools just yet

My interest is primarily wood turning so unless you have a treadle lathe to sell......

As regards the plasterboard I'm going to stick with that but have one French Cleat running around the shop at a few inches below top of wall cupboard height and another say 18 inches below it . That way I can hang as many cupboards as I wish or peg board or a solid board of say OSB in line with the natural throw of the lathe in case of unpleasant surprises

I've not come across a freecycle website... what is it?

Regards,

Ray (aka Turnpike)
10/08/2009 23:18:49
I've been designing my new workshop over several months. My original plan for the walls was chip-lap boards laid horizontally.

What with the credit crunch I'm rather wincing at the cost of this design, baring in mind that the shop will be approximately 22 ft x 12.

If the ship lap is genuinely the best solution then I will bare the cost but at the expense of what I can afford to put in the building, at least initially.

The insides will be lined with plasterboard... the sound deadening grade if I can stretch to it, with Rockwool in between.

(Rockwool I've been told is a better sound deaden er than the equivalent thickness of glass fibre with roughly the same heat insulation properties.)

I'm wondering if a skin of 9 or 12mm exterior grade shuttering ply, the the seams filled with silicon mastic, covered with a thin skin of ?6mm T&G would do.

Any comments or alternatives gratefully received.

Ray
Thread: ALLY PALLY WOODWORK EXHIBITION
15/02/2009 13:11:10
Hi Tony, Haffix glue is great stuff. Only superglue I know you can use on a broken mug handle and not get a cup of coffee in your lap when the glue lets go
Thread: Intl. Woodworking Exhibition
15/02/2009 13:04:00

No show guide this year and not even a map to consult as to which stands were where.
Please Please Please get your act together for 2010. As I posted last year on this thread the organisation for next year should start NOW.
Thread: The International Woodworking Exhibition 2009
15/02/2009 12:47:11
I think you are putting too generous a gloss on my comments George. Overall I found the whole thing a let down and nowhere near what it was like in years gone by
10/02/2009 01:06:48
Hi Ben,
Sorry I didn't get to see you at the show either on Friday or on Sunday morning (when I popped in to buy some stuff I'd run out of time to get on the first day)
I must say I was very disappointed that there were no competitions running this year. Seeing all the entries has always been a highlight of previous shows for me.
It's been said that turning was well served and I agree that the masterclasses were good. What was missing to my mind though were the boundary pushing turnings often seen in the competition entries - last years entry by Bob Chapman for example or those wonderful segmented candlesticks. The turnings on the AWGB stand and the two club stands showed very competent turning but, with a couple of exceptions very traditional rather than 'cutting edge'. What do other people think?
03/02/2009 22:05:18
Thanks for the reassurance Ben. See you there on Friday

Ray
02/02/2009 16:48:13
Just a quick query in view of the terrible weather.... is it still on.. I drive a 4x4 so I recon I can get there but I don't want a wasted journey
Thread: cherry and wallnut bowl 2
18/07/2008 01:50:00
Very nice design. Did you just lamiunate the walnut as a solid board into the cherry or did you cut a ring and laminate that?? My curious mind is itching to know.
Thread: August issue Woodworker
17/07/2008 02:02:00
Wouldn't they have to be 'explosion proof' fans? You are drawing dust into direct proximity with possible sparks in the motor... I'd be worried about a dust in the air explosion
Thread: Intl. Woodworking Exhibition
17/03/2008 02:49:00

Addendum to previous post: 

7) Advertise tickets to next years show now. Set deadlines during the year for reducing discounts on entry fees to promote early booking.

8) Feed the advance booking numbers back into advertising to potential exhibitors to encourage attendance

Ray Small

17/03/2008 00:28:00

Like everyone else I was disappointed by the size of the show and the lack of many well known exhibitors. As Baz has already said at £6,000 per stand (?? More for a large stand??) the economics of attendance just aren't there.

If the exhibition is to have any future my prescription would be:

1) Drastically lower the price per stand to exhibitors

2) Widely advertise this fact to potential exhibitors and actively seek bookings for next year's show now.

3) Publish both on line and in the magazine those companies who have already signed up and up date month by month.

4) Build a sense of expectation and excitement that this is going to be the biggest and best show we have seen for years.

5) In combination with some of your sister crafts/sewing/knitting magazine put on a parallel show so that non-woodworking partners have somewher to visit.

6) If possible get a big name international figure as a demonstrator Richard Rafan, Bin Poh, Micael Hasaluk spring to mind (but then I'm a turner) [you did well with John Jordon this year but I wasn't really aware he was coming until I got there - That Should Not Be The Case]

With some thought and application next year's show should be something to look forward too. The highlight of the woodworking year not the disappointment.

Thread: Turning Club?
19/01/2008 23:40:00

Anyone know of a turning club in  easy reach of the Bexleyheath area. It needs to meet in an evening ( but not Thursday) Saturday is usless to me as I work every one.

Many Thanks

Ray

Thread: The International Woodworking Exhibition 2008
19/01/2008 23:27:00

Hi Ben,

In the past there has been a craft show in the adjacent hall which my wife enjoyed. Is anything similar happening this year or am I going on my lonesome?

Thread: cherry and wallnut bowl 2
18/07/2008 01:50:00
Very nice design. Did you just lamiunate the walnut as a solid board into the cherry or did you cut a ring and laminate that?? My curious mind is itching to know.
Thread: August issue Woodworker
17/07/2008 02:02:00
Wouldn't they have to be 'explosion proof' fans? You are drawing dust into direct proximity with possible sparks in the motor... I'd be worried about a dust in the air explosion
Thread: Table saws
18/03/2008 09:12:00

I'm also going to be in the market for a TS sometime this year. I'm unsure as to the benefits of a sliding table bearing in mind that this means only one mitre slot and hence almost every jig etc you see designed for a TS won't work.

Ray

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact