By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for William Bodles

Here is a list of all the postings William Bodles has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: November Competition
23/10/2008 09:40:00

Hi Mike

I'm glad my shed is not the only multipurpose facility out there! My wood working has been a bit restricted by the trailer I've been building in there recently.  When I started to weld it all together I discovered those areas of fine shavings and sawdust I'd failed to brush up.  Thankfully I spotted the rising smoke before it got going properly.

Billy

Thread: RAGE 185mm Multipurpose Circular Saw
02/10/2008 21:49:00

Hi

Apologies for being away from the forum for so long, I've been out of the country having fun!!

Continuing with the extractor theme I've coupled my RSDE 1 to a vortex extractor in the form of a bin lid (purchased from Rutlands), when placed on a steel bin I've found that it really makes a differnce when using the thicknesser or the router.  The large shavings remain in the bin and the level of dust on the paper filter is greatly reduced. The only issue is that if the tubing gets blocked the vacuum created within the bin, can and has, caused the steel bin to split along their seams.  I was astonished the first time this happened, the bin literally pulled apart, I was amazed at the suction created.

Mind you the dust is better in the can than in the lungs.

Cheers, Billy

Thread: Book made from wood
17/07/2008 20:59:00

Hi Gunnar

I have a wooden diary, A3 I think, 5mm thick wany edge oak front and back with a leather spine, It has the metal ring binder bits inside to attach the pages,  it was a birthday present from my wife. It has the makers name etc. in the back of it.  I'm not at home at the moment but when I get back I'll get the name and details.

Ah ha, his name just came to me in a flash of inspiration. Nigel Lucraft and here is his web page:

http://www.nigellucraft.co.uk/

Cheers

Billy

17/07/2008 20:47:00

Hi

I've not tried cutting anything other than wood with my sliding mitre saw version but it certainly does a good accurate job. The build quality certainly seems good, nice and solid nothing flimsy about it at all. 

I didn't know they came with different blades, Matthew, I'll have to give Ian a ring and get the low down on the different ones.  I wonder if the rage blade would fit an ordinary circular saw? Just for those rough reclaimed timber cutting moments, when the metal detector misses a buried nail.

Billy

Thread: The best woodwork I have ever seen
16/07/2008 14:23:00

Mike

Keep on trying, it will be worth it!  Don't let the undoubted increase in woodworker suicides and car boot sales of used kit associated with your sucesss, put you off....

Billy

16/07/2008 13:55:00

Hi

I have an Evolution rage sliding mitre saw and I have to say it is excellent. Accurate cutting with a smooth finish to the cut. Much much better than most other saws in the same price bracket.  The laser on mine is a bit wonky (technical jargon!) I could fix it but I never use it and to be honest I can't be bothered and really have a "Could you just do.........." list as long as my arm!

Has anyone else tried the "Rage"?

Cheers

Billy

Thread: Spalted sycamore 3.jpg
10/07/2008 13:50:00

Mike,

Your blanket box is going to look absolutely stunning, really worth the challenge.  Maybe I've missed it in the previous chat but how do you intend finishing it?

Billy

Thread: bit leaky.jpg
10/07/2008 13:42:00

Hi

Sorry about the silence I've been away for the past wee while.  I've added another picture showing the bulkheads on the inside of the kayak, these make the two compartments watertight (as long as you get the hatch seals right).  I've still not mastered the picture resizing software but I'll keep on trying.

The plans came from : http://www.clcboats.com/

I modified the plans quite a lot, but the best bit is the instruction manual that accompanies the plans. The manual is brilliant, it is more like a course in boat building and I would not buy anymore plans but use the free kayak design software on the web to design my own boat.

Happy paddling, might need the boats soon if the rain keeps up!

Billy

Thread: Help needed to strip
06/07/2008 22:27:00

Hi Malc

Following on from Mike's comments on asbestos, I recently had a family member who was buying a new house. The surveyor's report came back with "asbestos-like substances" in the text, causing no end of panic, we eventually found out it was refering to Artex.  However the "asbestos watchdog" website http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/residential/help-TexturedDecorativeCoatings.html gives very useful information on this. Including the statement that it is a common scam on the part of surveyors "A common scam if you are selling your house is for a surveyor to suggest you need to remove your TDCs; threatening you with devaluation of your property if you fail to comply." Apparently the levels are minute and are no cause for alarm.

Good luck with the bathroom, mine only has two walls at the moment (I'm changing the layout!!) however my singing is improving!

Cheers

Billy

Thread: Spinning wheel help
01/07/2008 09:05:00

Success,

I found the magazine, with the article in it. We moved house not so long ago and there are a few boxes still unpacked. The magazine was hiding, deliberately I believe, in one of them!

Thanks for your suggestions

Billy

Thread: Full face respirators
30/06/2008 15:37:00

Hi Baz

I use a full face helmet mask when I'm doing anything that produces dust! On making some Kayaks using marine ply a few years ago I developed a rash and my eyes became puffy and swollen and very itchy from the dust.  I've got extraction and a room filter but I find they are still not enough.  I believe the word is "sensitisation". 

I really like the helmet and find the full face protection very useful, from flying chips and sawdust.

Billy

Thread: ready for the varnish.jpg
30/06/2008 14:41:00

Hi

Thanks for the positive comments on the kayaks, it has given me the impetus to get out to the shed and give them a new coat of varnish for the summer!

I'll try and upload them at the 250 limit, I'll have to go away and read the how to resize you pictures pages!

You can indeed make a double or even a triple versions but they take even longer!!!

The best thing about building wooden boats is that if you scratch them or even hole them you can fix them! I don't worry about the scratches too much as a new varnish coat will sort that out in no time at all!

As for the weight, they are about the same weight, you can reduce the weight by using lighter glass cloth fewer coats of epoxy and varnish! But given that they are usually filled with camping gear and beer perhaps the boat is not the heaviest bit of it!

Cheers

Billy

Thread: bit leaky.jpg
30/06/2008 14:29:00

Hi Mike

The kayaks are indeed stitched and then glued, intially the shape is held together with thin copper wires and then you put fibreglass tape and epoxy fillets on the inside joints. Once dry you can then remove the wires! (much swearing is usual, as the wire sometimes/usually breaks off!)

The whole skin is then covered in a thin layer of Fibreglass/epoxy resin and sanded and varnished until you never want to look at another piece of sandpaper again.

I counted the time it took to build as being about 60 hours/per boat but it really was worth it, they are brilliant for Lakes/Lochs and canals. I've paddled them in the sea but only on a nice day!

The other technique is the strip built Kayak, long thin strip are formed on a router (as Warren says) so that the edges fit into one another. These boats are truely beautiful! I have plans to build one but I need to clear out the shed. at 17 feet long you need all the space you can get! 

Have a look here:

http://members.aol.com/oldspeedy/

This is the website which made me want to build the boats! The photos are excellent. The commentary, well I'll leave it up to you to decide!

Cheers

Billy

Thread: Spinning wheel help
29/06/2008 21:26:00

Hi,

I'm was wondering if anyone had a copy of an article from Good woodworking on building a spinning wheel.  I remember reading through it but am unable to find my copy or copies, I've been through my whole stash of mags and cannot find it.  I also seem to remember it being spilt over two issues! But then again, I might be imagining it.

I would be delighted if anyone could help me

Thanks

Billy

Thread: Broken side handle for drill
26/06/2008 09:04:00

Thanks Guys

I'm fortunate that my Dad came over the week to help build my patio, he also brought his welder so in a jiffy I had a new bracket for the handle!! This one is much sturdier than the original pressed aluminium one so I'll be hard pressed to break it!

Cheers

Billy

PS The boats are in need of several varnish coats! Anyone free?

19/06/2008 22:01:00

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement side handle for my 6kg SDS drill? I've been looking on the web but I'm not able to find any but that might be due to my web incompetence!

Cheers

Billy

Thread: The Woodworker subscription chisel sets
19/06/2008 11:42:00

Hi Daniel

I received the set of small tools very promptly after I subscribed. BUT I was very disappointed in the quality of the set, I know it was "free" but poor quality kit doesn't present a good image.

The square in the set definitely wasn't and the plane although flattish was so twisted and off the square that the tower in Pisa looks like a plumb job.

Mind you, fixing them up will give me something to do on a wet windy day.....bit like today!

Cheers

Billy

Thread: November Competition
23/10/2008 09:40:00

Hi Mike

I'm glad my shed is not the only multipurpose facility out there! My wood working has been a bit restricted by the trailer I've been building in there recently.  When I started to weld it all together I discovered those areas of fine shavings and sawdust I'd failed to brush up.  Thankfully I spotted the rising smoke before it got going properly.

Billy

02/10/2008 21:49:00

Hi

Apologies for being away from the forum for so long, I've been out of the country having fun!!

Continuing with the extractor theme I've coupled my RSDE 1 to a vortex extractor in the form of a bin lid (purchased from Rutlands), when placed on a steel bin I've found that it really makes a differnce when using the thicknesser or the router.  The large shavings remain in the bin and the level of dust on the paper filter is greatly reduced. The only issue is that if the tubing gets blocked the vacuum created within the bin, can and has, caused the steel bin to split along their seams.  I was astonished the first time this happened, the bin literally pulled apart, I was amazed at the suction created.

Mind you the dust is better in the can than in the lungs.

Cheers, Billy

Thread: Book made from wood
17/07/2008 20:59:00

Hi Gunnar

I have a wooden diary, A3 I think, 5mm thick wany edge oak front and back with a leather spine, It has the metal ring binder bits inside to attach the pages,  it was a birthday present from my wife. It has the makers name etc. in the back of it.  I'm not at home at the moment but when I get back I'll get the name and details.

Ah ha, his name just came to me in a flash of inspiration. Nigel Lucraft and here is his web page:

http://www.nigellucraft.co.uk/

Cheers

Billy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact