By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Davis

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How do I reinforce a partition wall so I can connect to it.
18/04/2019 20:05:59

When you get the nuts and bolts, ask for self locking nuts, or put a secon nut on as alocking nut.

Ron

Thread: Bandsaw - Ripping down
02/04/2019 19:41:46

The upper set of guides should be as near to the wood ass possible, there is normally a knob on the side which lifts and lowers it.

All bandsaws wander a bit, use your push sticks ,(two of them!) one to push and one to hold the wood to the fence, the second one goe behind the blade.

Ron

Thread: I wanted to Sharpen a Pencil...
01/04/2019 19:35:26

Very nice, I did the same but I now have the proper tool. Put it on wheels and you can go anywhere with it!

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 01/04/2019 19:35:59

Thread: Things to know before purchasing RouterTables.
10/03/2019 17:25:19

I made mine inspired by Derek Lanes post donkeys years ago, and it works well for me.

just ask your self what you want from it and work from there. The room you have willbe a factor and the size of the router you will need. Old kitchen worktops do well for the top and you will need an insert for the router.

Post a picture when youhave done it.

Thread: Belt Sander.. Branded or non branded one?
31/12/2018 16:30:03

Good brand and good after sales service, if you are concerned about the life of the sander, get a good one!

Buy once, buy well

Ron

Thread: Removing rust from hand tools
24/12/2018 16:07:35

I agree with Derek, wet or dry, elbow grease and patience!

There are other ways, washing soda in water and a car battery charger appears to work, though I have yet to try it.

Fortyquid seems a lot, though it depends on how much you value your tools

Ron

Thread: Record player cabinet
27/11/2018 19:28:07

Hi Al, nice work, and good to see you posting here again

Ron

Thread: Show in the south
15/11/2018 17:35:57

I would love a show in the south, I was disappointed to see the Nelton show in Detling move to Newark. It seems they have them where the population is densest by that I mean more potential customers within travelling distance.

We watched the Ally Pally show diminish over time and it's demise was not unexpected. Detling seemed well supported judging by the numbers there, so we need one near a well populated area, Home Counties should do it. So why have we not got one?

Ron

Thread: Digger, Loader.
06/09/2018 19:51:04

Thanks Derek, I will remember that one if I need to do it again. The last time I did this I was asked to drill three 90mm holes in a piece of marine play and both the hole and the piece cut outwere needed. don't as whatthe job was as I only got to do paert of it.

Ron

05/09/2018 19:57:07

Hole saws are meant for cutting metal, they have too many teeth for wood, all of them cut at the same time, they clog the teeth and then you have the fun of getting it out of the saw.

The only successful job I did with mine was cutting holes in plastic buckets so i could grow tomatoes in them!

Ron

Thread: membership
29/08/2018 20:46:54

This si not the only forum to see this, most people have migrated to Facebook, and for my money the forums are easier to follow and threads tend to stay with the topic. None of the 'we had a lovely lunch out yesterday' or look at my dog running!'

As Bob Dylan sang, 'The times they are a changing'

Ron

Thread: MANUAL FOR SIP 01489 BANDSAW
22/08/2018 19:51:00

Well done Eddyglad to hear it is working again

Ron

19/08/2018 17:18:33

Hi Eddy, with mine and my friends we just took the circlip off and the pulley slides forwards, do take the blade off first though.

it sound like the bearings are rusted onhe shaft, try WD 40 or a proper penterating oil, leave to soak in for 24hours. Try again and if no joy you wil need a puller, which I suspect you will need to make.

When the WD40 has had time to soak in, try tapping it into the machine and then pulling it, you must keep it square to the shaft or you might break it.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

Ron

Thread: timber indentification
06/07/2018 20:30:24

Sapele, I reckon, not alweays easy to say for sure from a photo

Ron

Thread: This months GW
24/06/2018 19:47:53

As I subscribe to bith the Woodworker and GW I was surprised to see that I got wo copies of the new mag. I have emailed Tegan and got a very swift and helpful response.

Any body want the spare, un read an half price!

Ron

Thread: Elektra beckum HC 260 m plainer & thicknesser
03/06/2018 17:52:28

Right, never drink and turn!

Ron

02/06/2018 19:16:38

IPA, India Pale Ale?

Thread: Adjusting planer blades
25/05/2018 19:36:36

Try gluing a 2mm slip of wood to the end of tye flat piece you are using then allow the spring to push he blade to the wood,

Ron

25/05/2018 19:36:21

Try gluing a 2mm slip of wood to the end of tye flat piece you are using then allow the spring to push he blade to the wood,

Ron

Thread: This months GW
22/05/2018 19:46:08

I got the current issue of GW today amd Megan tells us it will be the last as it will merge with The Woodworker. i have read the GW since it was first published and can remember Andy King 'reviewing' the screwdriver with a tedium alloy blade, any one got one of these? along with a test of doughnuts and tea bags there were the usual articles on various aspects of wood working. I also subscribe to The Woodworker, I started with the Woodturner, and continued when it merged with the Woodworker.

I enjoy both magazines, my preference for which is best swings like a pendulum!

So am I better off now they merge, obviously I will only buy the new mag but what will it cost and will the aditional 8 pages be as informative and as wide ranging as GW?

And what of this forum, once the liveliest one going and now with very few posts

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 22/05/2018 19:47:47

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact