By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Davis

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Removing rust from hand tools
13/10/2019 17:11:51

The link was about oxalic acid, I googled it hand found it was dangerous stuff. I cant open the link either, so I suggest you google it as well!

Ron

Thread: fitting rubber tyres to ferm band saw
06/10/2019 17:11:14

Good suggestion, carpet tape is amazingly strong and almost another tool in my kit

Ron

Thread: SIP 01489 band saw
03/10/2019 15:24:25

Try Googling SIP, you should be able to download a manual

Ron

17/09/2019 19:26:33

Er, no! Try this link first Link

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 17/09/2019 19:27:03

Thread: Club challenge
07/09/2019 18:06:05

You have given me some ideas there Sam. They look great.

Ron

Thread: Eucalyptus Gunnii -of any woodworking use?
03/09/2019 20:21:03

Eucaliptus has reputation for cracking and splitting, the only piece I had the sap wood shrunk so much you could see daylight, looking along the grain

Ron

Thread: Great high chair for my buddy
27/08/2019 19:22:09

I have made a few chirs in the past and they are all till standing. Try Amazon for Jack Hill Country Chair Making, several desgns in there you can adapt to your needs

Ron

Thread: Want to start woodworking
23/07/2019 19:55:35

Well done, wait to see what you need, we all have a shed full of tools we rarely use,

22/07/2019 16:37:52

Both look good, but I think the second one is expensive, a lot cheaper than a new one though. The first one ends very soon put in a bid for £25 and see how it goes. Then think about how to sharpen it!

Ron

21/07/2019 17:40:12

Aoadhan, you will be better off with either Record or Stanley, look on E Bay there are always lots on there and for my money better than anything new in your price range

Ron

12/07/2019 19:24:36

Aodhan, welcome to the forum and the world of woodworking

You have quitea list tere andit will cost a lot to buy it all at once, buy as you need the tools, and if you are like most of us, you will never stop!

Buy good tools and look after them, in particular, learn to sharpen them correctly. All your list seems to be for hand tools, remember to buy well and buy once.

A good place to get tools is EBay and I suggest you get vice frm there, 99% of wood working vices seem to be a Record, they are heavy but last a lifetime.

good luck and post some pictures when you can

Ron

Thread: Wood Stabiliser
05/07/2019 19:32:20

Sorry I cant help you with the stabiser, although I believe Cprinol does a wood hrdener.

Thanks for the scrollsaw tip, i had not thought of that

Ron

Thread: Bandsaw - Ripping down
28/04/2019 17:27:41

I use Tuffsaws and they wirk well for me. As for the uperguides, I have a Metabo 317 Precision, a clone of many other saws. and i checked the upper guides by putting a spirit level against the main frame and the casing on the opposite side. They were not true to each othe with the guides moving 2 to 3mm to the side as it was lowered.

There seems no answer to this except to readjust the guides whenever you move them up or down.

The best way to rip with a band saw is to hold the wood firmly on the fence by pushing with a pushstick in one hand and hold the wood to the fence with the other, behind the cutting edge. and gos slowly.

N matter what you will need to plane to get it trule straight

Ron

Thread: How do I reinforce a partition wall so I can connect to it.
18/04/2019 20:05:59

When you get the nuts and bolts, ask for self locking nuts, or put a secon nut on as alocking nut.

Ron

Thread: Bandsaw - Ripping down
02/04/2019 19:41:46

The upper set of guides should be as near to the wood ass possible, there is normally a knob on the side which lifts and lowers it.

All bandsaws wander a bit, use your push sticks ,(two of them!) one to push and one to hold the wood to the fence, the second one goe behind the blade.

Ron

Thread: I wanted to Sharpen a Pencil...
01/04/2019 19:35:26

Very nice, I did the same but I now have the proper tool. Put it on wheels and you can go anywhere with it!

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 01/04/2019 19:35:59

Thread: Things to know before purchasing RouterTables.
10/03/2019 17:25:19

I made mine inspired by Derek Lanes post donkeys years ago, and it works well for me.

just ask your self what you want from it and work from there. The room you have willbe a factor and the size of the router you will need. Old kitchen worktops do well for the top and you will need an insert for the router.

Post a picture when youhave done it.

Thread: Belt Sander.. Branded or non branded one?
31/12/2018 16:30:03

Good brand and good after sales service, if you are concerned about the life of the sander, get a good one!

Buy once, buy well

Ron

24/12/2018 16:07:35

I agree with Derek, wet or dry, elbow grease and patience!

There are other ways, washing soda in water and a car battery charger appears to work, though I have yet to try it.

Fortyquid seems a lot, though it depends on how much you value your tools

Ron

Thread: Record player cabinet
27/11/2018 19:28:07

Hi Al, nice work, and good to see you posting here again

Ron

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact