By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert Hopkins

Here is a list of all the postings Robert Hopkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Planer Thicknesser recommendation
14/03/2010 19:52:21
It's worth keeping any eye on ebay, single phase planer/thicknessers with cast iron tables can be found for £150 or under, although a bit of travelling may be required. It's worth bearing in mind that the older the model, the greater the use (and abuse?) and therefore more wear on the bearings and consequently more expense.

Rob
Thread: insurance
14/03/2010 19:27:43
Insurance companies are like bookies, they tailor their prices to take into account risk, the more miles you travel, the more chances you have of being involved in an accident. Sam's problem is that he's asking for the most expensive policy which assumes that he's likely to be in Aberdeeen one day and Exeter the next, whereas in reality his day to day travel may be no more than 50 miles from home.

I'm self employed, and I use my van for my work, which is within a small geographical location, usually a maximum of 15 miles a day to my workshop and back. I've taken out a policy with The National Farmers Union, who do a restricted distance motor insurance. The vehicle is insured throughout the UK, but as long as say 80% of the travel is with the specified range, the premiums are cheaper than the 'normal' car insurance.

It's worth shopping around to see what companies offer as alternatives to the 'one size fits all' policies, and whether you qualify

Rob

Thread: Legality of disposing wood shavings & dust
18/01/2010 20:30:45
I only work with (untreated) seasoned oak, all the shavings and dust collected by my extractors go to a local stable for bedding, in return I get free manure.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact