By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Drew Marsh

Here is a list of all the postings Drew Marsh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Finish suitable for ironing on?
01/04/2013 10:12:08

Hi, hope everyone is ok. Not been on here in ages.

I have made a point presser for a friend and wanted to put a finish on it, ideally a stain type.

My main worry is that it is going to be subject to a lot of heat/steam from an iron and not sure if there is one out there which would be suitable.

Definitely do not want the finish to stain the clothes either, any ideas?

Drew

Thread: Small oak kitchen table
04/01/2012 21:38:17
Really nice job Simon.

just a quick query... when you say machined... what exactly have you had to do as i am struggling to get good end joints at the moment using a table top planer/jointer. Would be helpfull to know what techniques you have used as they look perfect.

Thread: cheeky crimbo mice decs
12/12/2011 21:45:43
Whilst getting my planer up to scatch, thought I'd have a tinker and make a couple of mice for the side of the nut bowl during the festive period... keeps the wife happy even if it is for 5 minutes.

Thread: Setting a planer???
10/12/2011 22:39:01
Blades have now been set level with the out feed table and problem has been cured, however when using the thicknesser (underside of the table) the issues still persist....

27/11/2011 21:27:24
thanks all for your postings... think we could be on to a winner here, I have just been out to the workshop & put a straight edge from the outfeed table to the blade and it's set a lot higher!!!

Will let you know how I get on once thier reset.

24/11/2011 20:48:52
a picture speaks a thousand words....

Wood is touching at either end but theres is a gap in the middle.

Seems to bend the wood on when passing through the thicknesser, worse on small pieces like the ones shown above.
Planer is an awd' Luna 40. I can not find any documentation on the machine. The machine itself has had a full set of new belts and would be perfect if I could just sort the planer side of things.

Hope this helps....

24/11/2011 19:42:26
Wonder if anyone can help...

Im trying to set up my planer on a combination machine; when attempting to plane one edge I am finding that the edge arcs inwards towards the middle... can anyone offer any advice to why this may be? I'm sure the blade is set correct however I am unsure with the alignment/ height difference between the feed and exit table tops... could this be the root cause???

Any advice welcomed....
Thread: Cutting board
23/11/2011 20:19:14
Alan,

Best glue I have found ifs Titebond III, which is both water proof and food safe!! Retails around £10 and has been brill for the oak end grain boad I made.

Drew
Thread: Just in time for the winter....
23/11/2011 20:13:25

Hi Bill,

Must admit the photo isn't the best.... the roof does actually slope towards the back and the top edge is only around three sides... so hopefully it won't collect water. Cheers for the tip... I like the idea of the aluminium angle and will definitely bare it in mind if there is any evidence of the great escape taking place!

20/11/2011 19:44:22
Actually managed to finish the rabbit hutch before the cold has really had a chance to get stuck in.

Project was a replacement hutcha for a family member who was sick of buying cheap ones, which where not only flimsy but could not stand the physical factors of the british weather. Hopefully this will do the trick...

Thread: Photo to scroll saw pattern.
02/10/2011 20:16:13
After reading Robert's latest thread I Thought I'd upload a couple of pics of the scroll saw pattern I produced from a photo. I am about 70% complete on the actuall item and will try to remember to upload some pics when finished.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want me to have a go at a photo you may wish to have converted.

Edited By Drew Marsh on 02/10/2011 20:17:59

Thread: Hand sawing
24/09/2011 21:38:53
Thanks for all the advice.

Had a little bit of a trail session last night and tried a couple of the suggestions... found the wedge helps to actually be able to get the cut finished, but found it all a bit fiddley.

As I didn't have a candle to hand I used a little beeswax on the blade which I thought made a massive difference.

Thanks again...
21/09/2011 21:53:59
Hello all, thought i'd myther you all a little bit more......

Been knocking up a pair of garden gates recently but this question/ issue has been anoying me for some time now....when sawing I find my saw tends to stick/grab. Its as if the wood has all of a sudden closed together on the saw blade. Is this a sign of a bent or worn blade??? Also how can I prevent this occuring?

Drew
Thread: Tenon Saw Brand?
19/09/2011 09:55:50
Thanks Chaps,

I have looked up your reccommendations and have read reviews for above brands... Think I'm gonna go with a Robert & Lee.

Got to agree with derek as I can't really offord to lay out so much ( or to be perfectly honest... to much of a tight A*$3 )!, but on this occassion, I am getting fed up with using cheap saws that seem to go dull after a couple of uses, plus I tend to take more care over the tools that have a certain value (... which is wrong I know).

Thanks again
17/09/2011 20:00:30
hello all,

Hope your all having fun in the workshops

I want to treat myself to a new Tenon Saw, but I want a good one of good quality and will last, not like the cheap s#*te I keep purchasing. Can anyone reccomend a decent brand

Many thanks in advance.

Drew
Thread: Brush with disaster! (not for the squeemish)
09/09/2011 21:42:43
Mailee... Been there, done that... and certainly won't be doing it ever again!!!

still not got full feeling back in my thumb yet.

GAURDS ARE THERE FOR A REASON PEOPLE!!!!

Drew
Thread: What You doin
22/08/2011 22:06:32
finished item.

... looking forward to my next attempt.
18/08/2011 22:31:03
Andrew,

What a brilliant idea, ideal if space is an issue. I love the fact you've built it on castor wheels as well, I'm for ever having to move my machines round my workshop and have often thought about making them mobile. Only thing that has stopped me is that I'm concerned they would move whilst being used....I assume the wheels can be locked..?

How have you found it to be whilst the machines are is operation?

Thread: Giving it some stick
15/08/2011 23:41:57
Thanks Derek, hopefully will build up to something larger once I've mastered the basics.

Was actually quite suprised how difficult carving could be and thought I was happy with piece; however now looking at the photo again I can see a lot of areas that need to be revisited.... dawn digital cameras!!!!

Derek following completion of the rocking horse you made... (or if there are any whittlers out there) maybe you can offer some advise on how its best to define details such as the eyes and mouth or even recommend a better suited knife perhaps???

Edited By Drew Marsh on 15/08/2011 23:49:32

Thread: What You doin
13/08/2011 22:12:33
Hi Derek,

Picked up a cheap pen knife whilst on holiday in St Ives, so I have had a go at carving for the first time.

Got a couple of final tweeks to do yet and need to put a finish on it yet, so it's protected, But over all I am generally please with the results.

Any constructive criticism welcome!>>

Edited By Drew Marsh on 13/08/2011 22:14:41

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact