By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brianhr

Here is a list of all the postings Brianhr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Benchtop thicknessers
08/11/2013 17:27:22

I had this problem with my old Woodster planer/thicknesser. The advice I received from the VERY helpful people at NMA was to drive a Torx bit into the recess and release the screw. You will, of course need replacement screws for the blade.

Brian

Thread: Flock box linings
09/07/2013 19:55:42

I use these http://www.flocking.biz/

Thread: Table top planer/thicknesser
29/12/2012 15:01:45

Decision time!

I have now bought a Kity 439. This appears to be a compromise between the low end and full floor standing as far as price is concerned. Now to find out if performance is similar.

Brian

15/12/2012 14:03:07

Many thanks for all your contributions. It seems to me that all the cheap machines are built to a price but that is the same for everything that is cheap and that is why it is cheap.

I think I will bite the bullet and get a Kity or Record Power. The cost will exceed the use I will get from it but it will at least have some secondhand value when I have to swap woodwork for knitting!

12/12/2012 19:55:38

Big Al
What is a Sheppach HMS 260? It is not a current model, does it have a successor? It is not a matter of saving up more about what I am prepared to spend. It probably won't have more than 5 hours use each month and if it will last a lifetime then probably 10 - 15 years will do!

Dave0
I have the PT85, an older model, and am fed up with the flimsy fence which needs to be removed to convert to thicknesser. The Charnwood model is easier to convert. If you want to compare these machines try Poolewood at http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Planer_Thicknessers.html

Brian

12/12/2012 16:55:39

I am looking for a table top planer/thicknesser for my tiny shed (sorry workshop). I can't afford a floor standing one and in any case there isn't room. It won't get much use. I have used a friend's Woodstar on occasions but I think there must be a better one although I do like the price. I don't like the flimsy fence which has to be removed to use the thicknesser, this can be a 5 minute job. The Charnwood machine can be changed over in a very short time.

I do need to keep the price in the region of this machine and anyone's experience of it would be appreciated. I would love to go for the Record Power or the Kity but they are out of the question.

Thread: Digital issues
09/05/2012 09:32:53

Many thanks Danny. I note that the subscription expiry date is now 31 July.

Brian

04/05/2012 15:40:25
Danny

I hope this reaches you as I cannot find a link directly to you on the contact page or anywhere else on the site.

I cannot open the latest digital issue on the web site. A week ago it was OK and currently issue 250 and earlier are also OK.
My subscription number is XXXXXXXX which according to my details expires on 30 June 2012

Many thanks

Edited By Danny Mod on 04/05/2012 15:52:50

03/05/2012 12:30:05

I cannot access the latest digital issue of Good Woodworking. Is this a web site problem?

Thread: sticky label
18/04/2012 16:04:39

Hairdryer, then white spirit.

Thread: Scheppach Basato 1 Bandsaw , Manual ?
27/01/2012 20:06:36
Contact NMA and they will email a pdf version foc.
Thread: Elm
20/01/2012 20:59:48
Have a look at this http://www.british-trees.com/treeguide/elms/nhmsys0000464701
It will tell you all you need to know about Wych Elm .

My understanding is that the elm bark beetle only affects trees over about 12ft high! There is some evidence of a resistant strain so we may get them in time (but probably not in my time).

Brian
Thread: Ironmongery Direct
20/01/2012 13:53:48
The founder of Screwfix sold out and made a bundle. He then created Toolstation and made a lot more when he sold out to Travis Perking/Wickes. Can we look forward to a new kid on the block or even better sell his expertise to Rutlands.

By the way don't be fooled by Ironmongery Direct's offer of a trade account. It's no such thing. It is just a credit account which has to be paid off at the end of the month. You might as well use your credit card.
Thread: Part Identification
31/10/2011 19:47:32
Dowel screw?
Thread: Disc sanding plate
31/10/2011 19:40:50
Two solutions I have used:

A spare plate from Axminster for one of their disc/belt sanders.
Make a disc from 12mm ply and attach it to a pulley wheel.

These were both 10inch and have worked a treat.

Brian
Thread: Joint Genie
20/01/2011 20:00:15
I can't let the rant about Joint Genie go without saying that my experience was completely the opposite. They had nothing but concern for my problem, I made no demands of them and was treated with the utmost courtesy.
I concur with all the comments concerning the use of this jig. A work of genius!
Thread: Communication!!!!!
02/04/2010 20:09:47
I was advised that if I had any problems with the web site I should contact support@getwoodworking.com.  I would not expect subscriptions department to be involved wit the web site.
02/04/2010 19:54:03
Soon after I bought my subscription to the digital version of The Woodworker I emailed Support and asked how I would know when the latest edition would be available.  Email advice, or a notice on the web site? 

As I received no reply I decided to wait, and then I waited and had a look on most days then two days ago I found the April and May editions had mysteriously appeared.   Perhaps someone could let me know when publication day is.  By the way what are the newsletters referred to in the postings?
Thread: Competition
02/03/2010 09:38:26
Question 1 in the competition
Q1: How much lighter is this drill than its predecessor?

01/03/2010 21:13:28
Is there a trick question in the Ryobi competition? 
30% more compact does not mean it is 30% lighter.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact