By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Raymond Sanderson

Here is a list of all the postings Raymond Sanderson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lazy Kate x 2 sort of
02/08/2015 05:01:15
Posted by Steven on 01/08/2015 18:17:17:

That’ a fine solution you have come up with Ray, it can’t be easy getting hold of English Oak over your way, can it?

Thanks Steven. So far I have had no problem with an offer early this year of a large log if I wanted it, no where to store it so had to pass.

Derek I think I may have scored a few points.......... just.

01/08/2015 04:26:28

Sue required a new Lazy Kate to store nine bobbins for the new wheel.

I had made a horizontal one previously for her other wheel/s also nine bobbins its to big.

The idea in general came from cotton bobbin stands seen around just a wee bit larger.

The top and bottom are locked together with a simple pin which allows the top to rotate to allow access to lower bobbins. A brass bush was machined to give better wear and retain the top platter.

Gal rods 6mm dia epoxy in place.

All English oak as the wheel is also.

p1080393.jpg

p1080396.jpg

p1080398.jpg

Thread: Tools n such
09/07/2015 00:38:58

Thanks Derek I won't drag ALL my drill bits out these just add to the collection some I have go way back me being an apprentice and I do sharpen when required free hand still although I have a jig gadget.

Thread: What forms of woodwork
09/07/2015 00:35:01
Posted by Derek Lane on 08/07/2015 15:39:48:
Posted by Raymond Sanderson on 08/07/2015 01:13:47:

My favourite is Ornamental Turning yet to make my Rose Engine although its in the process and has been for some years.

Pen are evil things LOML started making them but she is a spinner & weave and rough hands do not blend well with fibres like silk. So I got sucked down a portal ATM I am resisting well.

I have some plans for one made out of MDF of all things.

You know you want to have a go at pens

I have better plans for Rose Engine the MDF one in UK would need to be replaced often due to moisture.

Like this one http://www.otga.org.au/GalleryEquip2_files/Rose1.jpg

Thread: Oak Bowl
09/07/2015 00:32:37
Posted by Derek Lane on 08/07/2015 15:32:10:

Thank you Ray.

What to cold for you Raylaugh. Do you not have a heater in there

Derek this morning at 8am it was 3C now at 9.30am its 8C being a Geordie by birth but softened up with 55 yrs of living down under after 16 yrs of driving snow tours here a heater just ain't gonna cut it or bring it back to 25C wink 2

Still today I hope to be out there shortly with little fan heater going to take the chill off that should be around 15C. Mind you sun is shining bright its the wind chill and shade on shed till sun comes over the roof at noon. The carpet on floor helps a tad though.

Thread: What forms of woodwork
08/07/2015 01:13:47

I am into Steel & Wood and have a number of both projects on the go often.

Wood wise is mainly turning but its dictated by room and $$$ I do have two coffee table tops one Australian Red Cedar the other camphor cut and ready to make legs and finish.

My favourite is Ornamental Turning yet to make my Rose Engine although its in the process and has been for some years.

Pen are evil things LOML started making them but she is a spinner & weave and rough hands do not blend well with fibres like silk. So I got sucked down a portal ATM I am resisting well.

Thread: Tools n such
08/07/2015 01:07:03

This will be a thread of tools bought, made and procured.

The old 4 jaw independent chuck was a freebie but had a 19mm bore thread my Jet Mini is 1" x10 so I re-drilled and taped and machined to remove a run out off the face. This will be used for Ornamental Turning and surface decoration jobs,

dscf8668.jpg

My youngest son dumped these on my desk after the company he was/is working for combined with parent co' they had major clean out.

p1080324.jpg

Thread: Free: Back copies of Good Woodworking and The Woodworker in Binders
08/07/2015 00:58:12

Darn so far away although I have a mate heading through UK right now and another heading there soon a cousin fro Petersbrough heading here 2 days time LOL.

Yes top gesture someone will soon have a great deal of reading to do.

Thread: Hot Shed
08/07/2015 00:55:06

RRF just as much as ATM I find a bloody cold shed is keeping me in doors Derek.

Hot shed in the UK yeh right what temps that 18C LOL come summer as my garage shed door faces west from 2pm I have to be wise to rising temps past 35C.

In winter shade of two palms and two trees cast shadow bringing the temp down rapidly by 2.30pm.

Mate has a little tin shed which has Opaque Laser Light roofing in mid winter its like 20C in his shed and he can work almost all day. Come summer he needs a fan on.

Thread: Oak Bowl
08/07/2015 00:50:14

I like muchley Have a few off cuts for small E/oak bowls and some candle sticks Barely twisted of course as soon as winter shows signs of spring. At 5C no way am I entering the shed.

Thread: I had a Go at Casting
24/06/2015 00:07:50

Great set up like your slab maker.

Thread: A few Pens
22/06/2015 08:27:31

Nice work Derek love the burr

Thread: Steven's Crochet Hook
22/06/2015 08:26:37

I refuse to show Sue this I know what will happen LOL.

Nice hook Steven

Thread: I had a Go at Casting
22/06/2015 08:25:31

First thoughts "what the heck is Derek doing rambling on about fishing"

They look spot on Derek great colour mix. One area I won't be getting into, no room.

Thread: Another toy
21/06/2015 07:42:00

Come on Derek your not that old great grand son indeed LOL.

Love it Christmas is closing fast could I do one in time?? Plans I am sure I have some somewhere..

What timbers Derek?

Thread: Turned Box
21/06/2015 07:39:19

Nice slideshow Derek love seeing that tool at RPM

Thread: Weather Station
21/06/2015 07:33:05

Thanks Steven & Derek.

The back of the Hygrometer and Barometer must be open to the ambient room temp so holes had to be right through. Both instruments have adjustments on the backs also.

I know some in the UK imports Aussie Burls I can't imagine the cost though.

Derek I have a cousin heading down under for a few weeks, if we catch up (he's heading further north than we are for 4 of his 6 weeks. Shoot me some details I can't promise but I'll try. I know your down south, while he's Petersbourgh way.

Thread: Display Cabinet
19/06/2015 23:49:32

That looks a very pro display case Derek

Thread: Weather Station
19/06/2015 23:46:04

Son requested a desk top weather station I had a nice piece of Mallee Burl and the instruments both bought about 5 years ago. Finished with 6 coats of DO.
Bezels are approx 2 1/2" Barometer, Hygrometer, Thermometer.

Photos are of either side.p1080235.jpg

p1080238.jpg

Edited By Raymond Sanderson on 19/06/2015 23:47:21

Thread: Clowning around
19/06/2015 23:39:37

That must have taken some time to get together looks a treat. Would put a smile on anyones face

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact