By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard Hughes

Here is a list of all the postings Richard Hughes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Modification to a Stanley No.78 Rebate Plane
26/07/2012 22:39:40

Thanks Dave,

I have ordered a blade from them.

Richard

25/07/2012 23:18:33

img_0467.jpgimg_0464.jpg

25/07/2012 23:17:13

I bought this plane to finish off some rebates but was disappointed to discover that the depth fence was only adjustable up to depths of just over 1/2". I increased the depth capacity to just over 1" by drilling and tapping a hole for attaching the fence 1/2" above the existing one. This is quite easy to do but some care is needed to avoid breaking the tap when threading the blind hole. The thread size was No.2BA but I suspect that it might not be the same on all examples of this plane.

Incidentally, I am not satisfied with the blade as it does not hold an edge for long. I anyone knows where I can get a better one I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Thread: Long case Clock
25/07/2012 22:17:23

Paul, thanks for your explanation of making the gears. I like your technique for cutting the teeth. I think I could do something similar by mounting a small router on a metal working lathe.

Richard

24/07/2012 18:57:16

Really impressive work. It encourages me to have a go. Are the gears cut from a plain sheet of wood? If so, are some of the teeth not weak owing to short grain? Or do you make the gears from a laminate of veneers at with grain at right angles (i.e. a sort of plywood)? Also how long does it run without rewinding?

Richard

Thread: A Use for Plastic Plane Handles
24/07/2012 18:41:42

Thanks Richard. I received the plane as a gift so I decided to improve it. I have modified some other planes - I plan to post some details of them.

Richard

23/07/2012 22:09:10

The plane knob is in maple and the rear handle is ash. The pusher board is ash.

23/07/2012 21:29:53

img_0441.jpg

23/07/2012 21:26:03

I hate plastic plane handles so I made wooden replacements for this Stanley No.4. However, rather than throw the plastic handles away I used them for this planer pusher, which works well.

Thread: A Use for Leftover Bits of Worktop
18/06/2012 19:35:07

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. Yes, the table top and chair seats are made from offcuts of worktop left over from kitchen fitting. They seemed to good to waste and they match the rest of the kitchen.

Richard

17/06/2012 19:31:24

img_0346.jpgimg_0345.jpgI made this little breakfast table and chairs from offcuts of beech block worktop and some bits of ash leftover from making a bed frame.

Edited By Richard Hughes on 17/06/2012 19:36:32

Thread: Bandsaw with 1/8" cut
21/02/2012 21:21:14

The Inca Euro 260 bandsaw can operate with 1/8" blades. Special rollers are fitted instead of the usual guides (I think they are called the "fretsaw" attachment). I find this arrangement useful for musical instrument making. It works well but you need to take care not to push too hard or the slender blade breaks. The maximum depth of cut is 150mm.

I believe that this machine is no longer made but you might be able to find one second hand. This web site offers spare parts:

http://www.incamachines.com/products-produits

I haven't tried them but they may be worth contacting.

Thread: Hurdy Gurdy
15/01/2012 17:55:23
I have a September 1983 issue of the Woodworker containing an article and plans for making a symphonie, which is an early type of hurdy gurdy. It is rectangular box shaped so should be much easier to make than the later curved type.
Thread: home grown material
20/08/2010 17:00:14
I made a small box out of what I thought was well seasoned apple and it twisted so much that the lid wouldn't fit.  It is an attractive wood but because of this tendency to twist I would think about using it as sawn veneers rather than solid boards in future.  It needs pilot holes for screws or it is likely to split.
19/08/2010 21:31:39
I made a carver's mallet out of apple and it has given me good service.  I also found it good for making handles for carving gouges.  It is hard and close grained and turns well.  However, it moves quite a bit when drying out so any planks are liable to distort if not very well seasoned.  I believe apple was traditionally used for making the teeth of the gears in windmills and watermills.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact