By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bunny

Here is a list of all the postings Bunny has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: back issues
24/01/2010 15:51:27
Hi Marc

you must have seen the Lee Valley online catalogue; don't you think that it 's much easier to navigate around than digital GW? Even though, like GW, it's formulated as a two-page spread?  I'm still having big probs getting the magnification level to stick where I want it to on GW -- it keeps jumping in and out. What with the click and drag issues I sometimes just give up and exit the site, which is a shame cos I know as a long-time subscriber that the content, if I can easily get to it, will be first-rate. I wonder if Lee Valley, to take them as an example, have devoted more time/staff/money to the issue than GW is able to?

am on hols from tmw so unable correspond for a while but willl check back here for sure on return.

cheers

bunny

Edited By Bunny on 24/01/2010 15:52:34

Thread: Rob Cosman
08/01/2010 16:40:13
Still think it's cold Cheddar -- Canadian, of course.  Dammit he gets to his baseline with one shove of his saw! T'aint natural.  Would love get to GW Live but am in SW France and it's a long way.  Also am holidaying in Oz  in Feb and likely return outta funds. Sure hope them fellers with corks dangling from their hats ain't still doing beastly things to us hopping critters.....

Bunny
08/01/2010 14:47:25
Enormously impressed with the Rob Cosman dovetail videos which have just viewed. The man is a phenomenon!  Just one question: can anybody tell me where you can buy those craftily camouflaged slabs of chilled Cheddar which he's using instead of wood? No pine I've ever had my hands on ever cut like that.
Bunny

Thread: back issues
08/01/2010 10:05:57
Progress of a sort, BUT: when I get a page big enough to read it's only a part of a page;
 I have to click and drag in order to navigate around the whole page, which is tiresome. Dragging in this way is like trying to read the paper magazine through a powerful lens: you can do it but it's not the quickest or easiest way to get the info. I don't want to spend time dragging, I want to spend time clicking and reading.  As digital GW is configured at the moment  I can't choose my desired level of magnification, getting whole width of page readable, and then use page up/page down buttons to zip through an article --  which is exactly what I can do with the Popular Woodworking  CDROM  (I take your point about differences between disc and web formats). On Popwood, once you've set your options it's virtually mouse-free.

I can't help thinking that these problems derive from the basic idea of presenting digital GW  as a two-page spread,  rather than a single page per screen. Which is what I said at the beginning: why present digital GW as if it had been produced by photographing the paper copy? Or am I still missing something?

Regarding the magazine itself, I love it and always have done. In fact it's because I think the content is so great that I find it a pity it isn't better served by its digital version.

John Lofts, hereinafter known as Bunny

07/01/2010 20:43:34
thanks for advice sparky but doesn't seem to work for me. Seems got technical problem which may or may not be with my laptop. front cover comes up mid-screen but can't be dragged anywhere. turning page gets double spread but still can't drag. a click produces out of focus zoom of partial page. I've fiddled and fiddled but nothing gets readable infocus fullpage image which stays as I turn pages. I can get clear focus at times (often takes several seconds to reach focus) but only of partial page.  I don't have problems of any kind with anything else I run on the machine.

(popwood) I got popular woodworking on dvd and yes I did have to pay for it but boy was it a bargain: all issues from 2004 thru 2008 on one disc. can't remember what I paid but think around 60 dllrs.  Every page crystal clear,  just click for magnification, page up, page down etc.    Simples, as the meerkats say.

(papermag) i've subscribed to GW for so long I ran out of shelf space and regretfully jettisoned back numbers which is why am so dischuffed by present probs.
28/12/2009 15:51:24
I'm finding the viewing system for back issues extremely user-unfriendly. When viewing the whole page the text is too small to read; using the zoom facility makes it out of focus. Fine control of any aspect is difficult to achieve. The page-turning audio swish is gimmicky and unnecessary. In fact the whole concept of trying to mimic the experience of handling a paper magazine is misbegotten.  Compared to, for example, the superb system used by US mag Popular Woodworking this is a non-starter. Sorry, but am not a happy bunny.
Thread: watch the birdy!
28/12/2009 15:36:16
Memo to Ben Plewes: Can you persuade Andy King to address the camera from time to time? Mostly he's looking at the benchtop.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact