By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Woodie

Here is a list of all the postings Woodie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sheared Screw
09/11/2009 15:10:50
Glad you got it sorted Charlie.
John
Thread: Oak finish
05/11/2009 14:11:13
I would imagine this question has been asked countless times before, but here goes.
An church architect friend of mine has asked how to finish a new oak piece, inside the church he is currently working on, and not have the colour (yellowish) that is associated with Danish Oil and the like?  He would like to maintain the natural beauty of the oak whilst giving it protective coating.
Help and advise would be most welcome.
Thanks
John
Thread: Sheared Screw
03/11/2009 21:05:53
Suggest using a piece of tube with internal dia slightly bigger than the screw.  File a few teeth on the end and slowly "drill" until enough of the screw is exposed to get a pair of pliers on.  Once removed drill a larger hole and plug it with a dowel.
John
Thread: Wooden work shed
31/10/2009 17:36:11
I have just purchased, not delivered yet, a 10 x 8 wooden workshop that I will use as an annex to my main work area.  I would like to clad and insulate it before I move in.  I would welcome any suggestions as to types of insulation that I could use and how to fix it to the walls and roof?
John
Thread: Aldi 370w Bench Morticer
24/10/2009 17:07:19
Yes I have splashed out and got one, but could not find the mortising chisels though.  Have tried it out and it seems to be okay with a little modification!  I had to put an additional fence (3/4" thick) on the one supplied.  I had a problem with getting the chisel in the correct place, on narrow wood (1" wide), due to the "clamp" getting in the way!  The supplied chisel, 8mm, was a little rough, but with a little fine tuning worked ok for how long who knows.  I have bought a set of chisels (6,10,13,16mm)from an online auction house and will wait and see how they work, although I cannot use the 16mm as the capacity of the machine is 13mm this probably due to 350 watt motor.  If you are an occasional user of morticing machines then this, for the price, would fit the bill.

John
Thread: Where to start
23/10/2009 17:19:21
Welcome Danny

I think that you have the right approach "learning the basic " by signing up to a College course.  As to tools to buy, I am sure that the College will point you in the right direction.  I don't know if there are local businesses willing to "rent-a-bench".  I know that it sometimes happens in the hairdressing trade where up and coming stylists rent a chair in a salon.  It would be a good way to start with little outlay if such a place exisits, go out and find out.
Good luck and let us know how you get on

John.
Thread: To square or to square, that is the question
08/10/2009 17:58:27
Thanks for the help.
Roger B.  Have you made a jig for rounded tenons, if so could you give me clue what it looks like?
OPJ.  I hope to get a commission to make a record storage unit similar to the attached 'photo.  It will be in American white oak lightly staned and finished in Sanding sealer a lots of elbow grease in the form of wax.  The mortice and tenons will go to make up the carcass along with half joints between the horizontal and verticle dividers.  Because of the weight in the drawers I propose to use drawer runners which are fitted on the drawer bottoms so that you don't see them.  Let you know progress!!
John

Thread: What type of varnish?
06/10/2009 19:23:14
Ephriam

Not sure what colour Origeon Pine is so cannot help you.  I have gone off the use of water based varnish.  Too much de-nibbing and the comments about heat resitance put me off.
John
Thread: To square or to square, that is the question
06/10/2009 19:19:09
I am in quandry and maybe the learned folk on the Forum can enlighten me?
I have a seies (probably 40+) of mortice an tenon joints to make and propose to use  a router to form the mortice.  Now, is it better to square the morice or round the tenon?
John
Thread: Band saw
01/10/2009 08:27:29
Hi Les

I have had a Scheppach Basto 3 for about 6 years without any troubles.  The 6" throat is more than adequate for my use.  The one thing against it is the blade tensioning srew.  The plastic knob failed after a while and now I tension using a spanner on the nut.  Good dust removal and blade tracking and adjustments.
Hope this helps
John
Thread: Radial arm saws
26/09/2009 19:43:37
Bought the saw as it was in good condtion, got a book with it and follwed the setting up proceedure.  Found this site spares for all sorts of machinery.

>> Dewalt DW1251 spares <<
Regards
Woodie

Edited By sparky on 29/10/2009 11:39:40

Thread: Saw aftercare,
26/09/2009 19:25:48
I learnt something, form Bedford Saw, Bedford, about circular saw blades that I had not realised.  If a saw blades is above the work, ie Chop Saw/Radial Saw, then the tooth should a negative rake, sloping backward from the verticle, table saws have a positive rake.  Apparently it is safer to use the correct blade!!
Comments please.
Woodie.
Thread: Radial arm saws
24/09/2009 08:36:14
Thanks Mike, seems it may be a good buy.  Will look at bearings and tracking.
John
23/09/2009 16:16:50
I have been offered a Dawalt DW1251 radial arm saw and wondered if anyone knows anything about it?  Can't seem any info on web apart from spares suppliers.  Also how about an Elu?
Thanks
John
Thread: scheppach 2600ci
22/09/2009 16:09:50
Ben
I too have a problem with fuses.  I was told by knowledgeable person that the cartridge fuses fail over time because the startup current is very much on the limit of the fuse and each time the macine is started then the fuses gets weaker.  One possible reason for it being worse in the winter is that the bearings etc. are cold and therefore requires a greater current.  I have tried to get 15amp cartridge fuses without joy, they don't exist
John Woodie
Thread: clogged up sander
17/09/2009 08:54:59
Ralph

I have used a Tescos' bag scrunched up, but mind your fingers.
John
Thread: Hello everyone, I'm Lindsay!
16/09/2009 13:49:47
Well done Lindsay.  You are a very determined person and I hope you get on well. 
John
Thread: Plane sizes
15/09/2009 18:25:04
George

I think they use a sieve to pass the grit through.  Therefor an 80, 100, 120 sieve will only allow that size grit through allowing the manufactures of abrasives to standardise the grades.  Hope this helps.
John Woddie
15/09/2009 08:52:36
Hi All

I would seem that I am not as thick as I thought.  Thanks for the replies; Andy, it has made a little clearer although not too logical.
John
Thread: Hello everyone, I'm Lindsay!
15/09/2009 08:49:27
Linsay

Ged's thoughts are right.  One thought I remember from my early days "never cut towards you thumb, always towards your chum", reinforcing the point about keeping your fingers behind the blade.  Any further help I am only down the raod.
John
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact