By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Doug

Here is a list of all the postings Doug has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: cowboy biulder
14/03/2011 19:18:20
For some reason i couldn`t edit my earlier post, but it looks like Allan was posting last Friday on there, perhaps a PM from there would do the trick.

Cheers.

Baz.

Thread: Ally Pally 2011
14/03/2011 17:14:56
Thanks for the photos, the standard of work looks excellent.

Congratulations Derek a well deserved placing

From the sounds of things the show is going from strength to strength.

Cheers.

Baz.
Thread: Blue Stilton Cigar
14/03/2011 17:07:07
Nice pen Derek,

The colours in the acrylic are very subtle,

Cheers.

Baz.
Thread: Ralph's entries
14/03/2011 17:03:49
Fabulous work as usual Ralph.

Certainly deserving of more reward.

Cheers.

Baz.
Thread: big knife
14/03/2011 17:00:42
Good Job.

Could you tell us more about how you shaped the blade, do you have access to a furnace?

Cheers.

Baz.
Thread: Mushrooms
14/03/2011 16:56:44
Nice work Paul, well turned.

Cheers.

Baz
Thread: cowboy biulder
14/03/2011 16:52:37
I can`t get this sites search facility to work Gerald, but this >looks< like the bloke you are after.

Cheers.

Baz
Thread: Thread chasing practice.
11/03/2011 23:22:44
LOL.

I`m sat in the warm Bill, so i`m not going back in the shop, but i do remember the TPI printed on the chaser was 20, but what pattern i can`t remember.

>>this<< is the chaser in question.

Cheers.

Baz

11/03/2011 22:46:56
Cheers lads.

I`m not sure on the tensile strength but i can tell you the bolt is 2 1/2" long X 3/4" diameter on the threaded part. The Nut is 1 3/8" across the flats.

It wasn`t as difficult as i`d expected it to be Derek, though i have now seen 3 demonstrators describing chasing. I was lucky enough to meet Richard Findley last summer & he was very instructive. I think the critical thing is lathe speed, i did mine a 350rpm & letting the chaser do the work.

John is excellent Dennis, i would recommend you take a pen & pad & make notes, i find doing that invaluable, as i forget so much by the time i get home to the lathe.

Cheers.

Baz
Thread: Baz's Mallet
11/03/2011 22:33:38
Thanks agin Bill, i`m glad the blog is of use to you.

As for a website, It would be nice, something for next winter perhaps.

Cheers.

Baz.
Thread: Large apple
11/03/2011 22:20:01
Cheers Bill,

I do have an engineering friend who could knock me up a rest, i just need to work out what design & size i want first.

As for finding the time, if i`m in the workshop i can`t be accused of making the house look untidy, plus with the kids music & their choice of telly, i`d rather be in my workshop.

I`ve seen those used Richard, i`ve a feeling Bob Chapman uses them, i`ll keep an eye open for some.

Cheers,

baz

Edited By baz on 11/03/2011 22:20:35

Thread: corian pen
11/03/2011 22:11:51
Very nice Bill,

Corian can be a bit tricky but you`ve made to lovely pens there.

Cheers.

Baz
Thread: Thread chasing practice.
11/03/2011 22:05:12
This evening I finally got round to trying out a uni chaser i bought from John Berkeley when he did a demonstration at my local club last autumn.

I`d been hoping to try my hand at chasing before, but had been struggling to get hold of some decent Box wood, John had said this was the best native wood to chase.

I finally got hold of some box recently & here is my first attempt.

I was quite happy with the threads & for a bit of fun i cut a hex in the top of the bolt & put flats on the female piece to make the nut.

Cheers.

Baz

Edited By baz on 11/03/2011 22:07:03

10/03/2011 21:29:11
Thanks George,

I`ve not yet needed an extension bed, if any addition, i`d like the out rigger tool rest so i could use the headstock out board, though as the design of the Record incarnation of the Nova is slightly different I don`t know if their out rigger would fit.

I`ve seen stand alone tool rests, but i`ve not looked into them with any vigour.

Lovely apple by the way, & what a striking piece of olive.

Cheers Paul.

Hope you liked the blog.

Cheers,

Baz.
Thread: Baz's Mallet
10/03/2011 21:20:08
Thanks Alan,

I`d been thinking of making a website, but my computer skill didn`t stretch that far, so a blog was an easier option.

Hopefully as i progress with it I`ll learn more & be able to design it a bit better.

Cheers.

Baz.
10/03/2011 16:00:54
Hi chaps,

calyx definition.

" the whorl of sepals of a flower collectively forming the outer floral envelope or layer of the perianth enclosing and supporting the developing bud; usually green"

Basically the bit at the bottom of the flower, between the petals & where apple forms, which is green but goes brown as it dries out.

Well that`s how it was explained to me.

Cheers.

Baz.
Thread: Gilded vase
10/03/2011 14:32:19
Thanks Simon.

I on the look out now for some brown Oak to see what the gild wax would look like on un-coloured wood.

Cheers.

Baz
Thread: Get Woodworking Live 2011
10/03/2011 14:29:22
Would someone going to the show please take some photos, so we who can`t make it can get a taste of the day.

No close ups of Andy mind

Cheers.

Baz .
10/03/2011 14:24:41
Sorry to hear of your loss Simon, my sincerest condolences.

Baz
10/03/2011 14:19:45
I was asked to make another large apple, i`ve found these oversized apples popular with the good lady wife`s friends.

Made from spalted beech with blackwood stem & calyx i took a photo of this & another large apple with a standard one to give an indication of size.

As before i`ve included photos of making it on my blog >>here<<

Cheers.

Baz

Edited By baz on 10/03/2011 14:21:32

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact