By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Doug

Here is a list of all the postings Doug has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Yew hollow form
26/10/2013 21:42:29

Excellent Derek, great shape on what must have been a tricky blank to turn, well done.

Cheers.

Doug.

Thread: Traditional Taboggan
21/10/2013 21:42:52

Ash whilst not being the most rot resistant timber does have other properties that make it ideal for use in making items such as a sledge indeed those same properties are the reason it was chosen to be used in the external frame work on Morris minors.

Attention does need to be given to applying adequate protection to the timber of the sledge, but for the amount of time it will be getting wet when in use, as long as it is stored in a protective environment when not in use I can`t see a problem with using Ash.

Cheers.

Doug

Thread: Doors finally painted!
20/10/2013 09:51:28

That looks a treat Al super finish that certainly matches very nicely with the other elements of the room.

Cheers.

Doug.

Thread: Laburnum pen
20/10/2013 09:47:02

Thanks Derek.

It`s quite a nice pen to use as it`s so light.

Cheers.

Doug

19/10/2013 18:55:54

Thought I`d share this as it is easy to make & idea for a cheap item on craft stalls, it`s a pen made from the nib & ink tube from a Bic disposable pen.

I made it for my son who has to come up with an idea for a school project that has to cost less than £1 to make.

​Made from Laburnum the blank was drilled from both ends as I didn`t have a long series 4mm drill bit, hence the Padauk top cap & then turned between centers

It`s finished with CA & the nib is just friction fit so can be replaced when the ink runs out

Thread: Traditional Taboggan
19/10/2013 14:02:34

Hi Mark & welcome to the forum.

That looks like an interesting project.

If you opt for the steam bending method for the runners you will need air dried timber, Ash is easily available air dried, is quite inexpensive for a hardwood & will steam bend nicely as long as you can get some straight grain timber.

As for laminating the runners, I would suggest gluing them up with either Cascamite or an epoxy resin particularly as the runners will not only be taking some hammer but will also be getting quite damp.

Good luck with the project & as Dennis said don`t forget to post photos face 4

Cheers.

Doug.

Thread: Doug's Bowl?
19/10/2013 13:43:40

Thank you Dennis.

Cheers.

Doug.

Thread: New website layout
19/10/2013 13:42:40
Posted by Steven on 17/10/2013 21:47:10:

The website appearance has been re-gigged

Will we be getting music as we browse wink 2

Only joshing Steven, thanks for keeping us up to date with the improvements & the hard work which is done behind the scenes.

Cheers.

Doug.

Thread: christmas decorations
19/10/2013 13:36:31

Great selection Dennis, the bamboo looks interesting not a wood I`ve had chance to turn yet.

Good luck with the Christmas fairs.

Cheers.

Doug.

Thread: Finally got around to these
19/10/2013 13:29:30

Don`t envy you that job mate,

I looked at some Chinese made chairs a while back, I couldn't`t believe the number of laminations they were made up from.

Cheers.

Doug.

Thread: Back to softwood
19/10/2013 13:23:37

Lovely work as usual Al.

Are the mouldings on the frames which hold the panels cut on a spindle moulder/router table or are they plant on?

Cheers.

Doug.

Thread: Inbetween job
13/10/2013 08:50:55

That`s great Derek, bet your grandaughter loves it.

My wife still has the mice her grandad made her when she was a young child, treasured memories.

Thread: Doug's Bowl?
10/10/2013 15:21:56

Thanks fellas.

Derek, it`s 10 1/2" x 1 3/4" turned from Horse Chestnut burr, all fingers present & correct face 4

Thread: What you all doing
07/10/2013 21:23:54

I still like to get to the lathe whenever time allows & even drop by here occasionally, though not as much as I should.

Updated my album tonight if anyones interested in whats been spinning in my workshop recently.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Best wishes.

Edited By Doug Barratt on 07/10/2013 21:25:50

Thread: Another quickie
15/09/2013 21:04:22
Posted by Wolfie on 14/09/2013 22:29:00:

Somehow I can't imagine you just standing about idle!

No, nor can I.

Good to see you`re busy still mate. Lovely job

Thread: Timber costs
15/09/2013 20:57:04

Hi James,

both PAR & PSE refer to planed timber.

PAR= Planed all round.

PSE = planed square edge

Thread: Oak door trimming
15/08/2013 17:24:21

I presume the door frame is the one behind the door in the first photo?

If this is the case I would consider changing the frame, it looks modern & chances are it would be easier to change that than alter what looks to be a pre-finished door.

Cheers.

Doug.

Thread: Glue for hot weather
03/08/2013 19:45:19

I`ve been using Titebond extend recently **LINK** & am happy with the results, though I do tend to leave glue up till it`s cooler in the evening or do it very first thing.

Thread: When is a "Dust Collector" not a dust collector....
01/08/2013 18:48:27

I don`t even think SIP manufacture the extractor you`ve bought as when I googled the code you gave & looked at images I saw 4 other brand names on the same extractor, Charnwood, Scheppach,Draper & Woodstar. So as Dave says they are probably covering their backs as this is a bought in rebranded product.

Edited By Doug Barratt on 01/08/2013 18:49:21

31/07/2013 18:53:24

Hi Chad, what make & model is the extractor, my extractor is only for shavings but with a fine filter fitted it works perfectly well for collecting dust.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact