By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Doug

Here is a list of all the postings Doug has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A quick guide to dust extraction
10/03/2008 20:22:00

Just a thought, if you can wait till i get chance to photo the dust deputy, it is so simple just a cone & a container. It would be so easy to replicate, no need for lots of baffles & holes.

Baz .

Thread: Router table 3.jpg
10/03/2008 05:48:00

Great access there Mike, & nice it folds down out of the way.

Previously you wrote about extracting from it, have you come up with any ideas, more so from underneath, thats what i`m thinking over at the minute for mine.

The fence looks well sturdy, nice job all round.

Baz .

Thread: back of shop
10/03/2008 05:32:00

I`ll take one when that big piece of beech on right is run out, but with 3 extractors you still wont be happy,there won`t be much dust, sorry.

One very clean Baz .

Thread: left front
09/03/2008 20:31:00

I just have, its Sunday got to be ready for next week!!!!!!

Baz .

Thread: Workshop 002 copy.jpg
09/03/2008 20:29:00

Mike,

It looks a well worn workshop, thats seen plenty of action,though it doesn`t seem that dusty, had you had a sneaky clean up, or had sparky been round with his magic duster before you took the photos?

Have you had this shop long or did you inherited it?

Nice to see you`ve got plenty of clutter & it`s not just me.

Baz .

Thread: Router Table Plate
09/03/2008 18:03:00

I totally agree with Derek worktop is an excellent choice, but don`t go for cheap worktop as quite often it is not flat. 40mm is usually better than 30mm, so if you have a chance of an offcut, grab it.

Baz .

Thread: left front
09/03/2008 16:22:00

Thanks derek,

Its not that clean though, look at the dust on the thicknesser, it`s just the dust doesn`t show up in the photo that well.

Cheers Baz .

Thread: back of shop
09/03/2008 16:12:00

Thanks Mike,

I have been making things in there for a couple of years now, but only the last few months i`ve got close to finishing it. Although i dont think you are ever finished, theres`s always something you would change.

As for getting stuff out i figured if it won`t fit through the patio door at the end it won`t fit through a front door.

The central heating is great though, a constant 14 degrees & the cheapest workshop i`ve ever heated, god bless combi boilers, with there pressurized heating system the rads are hot even though the shop is 11 metres from the house.

Cheers Baz .

09/03/2008 15:53:00

I think it`s just a safety & tear out problem. It all depends on what cutter you are using, but it`s always a good idea to have support, be it fence or table, as close to the cutter as possible.

If you have a 3" hole in your table but are only using a 1/4" cutter, you have 1 3/8" of unsupported  space in front of that cutter. If you are running thin stock through there is a chance of a large tear out or even the stock being dragged down into the table, with possible injury resulting.

As with all woodworking if you are carefull accidents are rare, but it`s that one in a million that bites & hurts. I have had large tear outs fly off & hit me (usually pine), that is why the face of the fence will be moveable on my new table, to minimize the space between cutter & fence.

If as you say you are new to table routing i would definetly recommend a plate, £30-00 is very cheap compared to an eye. (& yes you should wear goggles but do we always?)

Happy routing Baz  

Thread: WHY IS USA CHEAPER
09/03/2008 15:23:00
Yes please!!!!!!!!!!!
Thread: 2200 Members, only 57 galleries!!
09/03/2008 11:16:00

Mike, i`ve just added those workshop ones you asked about, hope you like them.

Baz .

Thread: Glues
08/03/2008 20:43:00

Mike, Have you tried Titebond polyurethane liquid glue, it has a 30 minute open time & needs up to 4 hours clamping time. It`s the only one i use in the workshop.

On site i tend to go for wudcare 5 minute only because time is of the essence, but in the shop the titebond gives you the luxury of time.

Baz

Thread: wadkin bxl
08/03/2008 19:15:00

Gerry,

Just going back to inverters, i`ve just got back from turners retreat open day. While i was there i was looking at the Charnwood lathes, the biggest one they had was powered by a 3 phase motor with an inverter from single phase.

So even the manufacturer thinks it`s a good way to get variable speed, whilst retaining the torque from the 3 phase motor.

Just an observation.

Best wishes Baz .

08/03/2008 09:10:00

Paul,

If you go to workshop & tools forum topic, in there my thread "router table" says a little on plates.

As for a fence, one with adjustable faces is a good idea as you can reduce the space between cutter & fence, so reducing tear out. If you are doing fine work &  make the faces removable, you can have a set cut to the same shape as the cutter you are using. This way you get no tear out at all.

A no voltage release switch with a trailing socket is a good idea, as removing the router from the table is easy.

As for mounting the router if you do use a plate, you just drill & countersink the plate with reference to the threaded holes in the base of your router, then screw the one to the other.

Baz

Thread: settle (4) inside.jpg
06/03/2008 20:50:00

I think thats what he`s saying, but don`t upset him we don`t want anymore dancing babies.

Baz  .

Thread: Another weekend of under-achievment??
06/03/2008 20:18:00

Lucky plasterer who`s got to follow that curve from floor to ceiling, done a few of them in my time, not fun, not fun at all.

Still not your prob Rob.

Baz .

Thread: settle (4) inside.jpg
06/03/2008 20:12:00

Not the first bouncer you`ve had to duck under Mike, i bet??

Baz.

Thread: Another weekend of under-achievment??
06/03/2008 19:57:00

Yes Marc, but think how much bigger your duster would have to be to clean up afterwards .

Great stairs Rob, how did you shape the stringer?

Baz

Thread: Lidded pot in african walnut 2008 (15).jpg
06/03/2008 06:02:00

Great, Thanks Garfield.

Baz  .

Thread: Designs for up to spec box sliding sash
05/03/2008 21:41:00

Not got time to watch Tommy?????

What i want to know is when is the erstwhile Mr Walsh going to do a fishing series???

Baz.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact