By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Doug

Here is a list of all the postings Doug has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drum Sanders
12/03/2008 22:02:00

Brian,

If you can get 8mm or 12mm shanked drum sanders you could then use a collet extension piece.

You would also need a variable speed router as i don`t think it wise to sand at the top speed of a router, & as Richard says don`t go above 50mm dia.

I like Richard use my pillar drill with a dust extraction box. I don`t think i would want to use my router, as the dust from sanding would fall down & be sucked into the router by its motor, which i imagine would shorten its life. I know this is a problem with table mounted routers but unless you`re using mdf, the chippings are not as fine as sanding dust so less likely to end up in the motor.

Baz .

Thread: Router table
12/03/2008 21:26:00
Got chance this evening to start the fence.
http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/5556/CIMG3047.JPG

Dust port for back of fence in the clamps.

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/5556/CIMG3048.JPG

Back of fence showing slots for bolts which will hold movable front face panels.

Baz .

Thread: Sanding sealer
12/03/2008 17:32:00

I have used some spirit based sanding sealer today for the first time. I thinned it a little as Derek had advised in a different thread.

I found it dried only slightly slower than cellulose based, but i thought the smell was much better, cellulose gives me a headache & if in prolonged exposure a sick feeling. Though i accept this is a personal thing.

Baz .

Thread: Cutting rececces for butts.
12/03/2008 14:40:00

I used to use templates, but now mark round the hinge with a Stanley knife, then rout quite close to the cut, then finish with a chisel.

So much quicker, i reckon i take as long to cut the housing as i did just positioning & clamping the template to the door.

I started doing it this way  a few years ago, every hinge i bought was slightly different size, even though they were supposed to be either 3 or 4 inch. Nothing seems to be standard size anymore & as you say Mike you end up with loads of templates which you have to store & sort through every time you fit a hinge.

Baz .

Thread: My new drum table and other things.
12/03/2008 14:23:00

I think i know what you are on about Derek, it`s only happened once on one post, but when it did the writing went the full width of the page, so was obscured by the adverts & information on the left & right.

I thought it was just a problem with that post as it did it every time i opened that one, but only that one.

Ben it`s over to you.

Baz .

Thread: Linen fold panel
12/03/2008 07:45:00

Marc, i mean the spell checker that's on the tool bar above where i,m writing now.

Half the time i click on it, it comes up "no valid response from........" or something like that. 

I`m cautious about Google, i downloaded something once & it changed lots of different things on my computer, which i couldn`t get rid of. So ended up having to get someone to remove it all for me. Its put me off downloading to much stuff in case they have hidden add on`s.

Cheers Baz .

Thread: back of shop
11/03/2008 22:46:00

Derek if you remember twist & shout you must remember Syd, gone but never forgotten.

Thats it going in the workshop now just to put some floyd on.

Baz .

Thread: Linen fold panel
11/03/2008 22:39:00

Marc, what i want to know is how you find these sites?

I put a search in & it comes up with 750000 items relating to my search, but none of them about what i entered in the search engine in the first place. & why does e-bay come up when it hasn`t got what you want. I know it`s me, i hate computers & they hate me, but why.

So please keep putting in the links i for one do appreciate them.

Cheers Baz .

PS why won`t spell checker work half the time you click on it?

Thread: Workshop 001 copy.jpg
11/03/2008 22:18:00

I agree Mike, it`s just like street lights, if there aren`t any you slow down & take more care, as you realise the danger.

I think we wrap our kids up in to much cotton wool, so much so they become unaware of danger. Yes we should take precautions, but if you don`t know why you are taking the precautions you also don't understand the danger.

Baz .

Thread: table top query
11/03/2008 22:07:00

The only thing i would add to Derek`s advice is to alternate the growth rings in your beech planks, so avoiding the whole thing cupping one way or another.

If it is going to be in a damp environment a water proof pva would be advisable.

Baz .

Thread: Router Table Plate
11/03/2008 19:13:00

I did have a quick look at the site, some really good ideas Paul.

Mine is the Trend plate, & so far i`m impressed. Just got to get a fence made now, & Rons looks the bees knees.

Baz

11/03/2008 19:07:00

Mike, Syd Barrett or the later stuff, Waters, Gilmour.

Wish i could get mine into them or even some Marillion, i can but hope.

Baz .

Thread: Workshop 001 copy.jpg
11/03/2008 18:55:00

If his radial arm saw is anything like the ones i`ve used in the past they run on for 5 minutes after switching off.

Don`t think about it OPJ you`ll never get to sleep to have that nightmare .

Baz

Thread: left front
11/03/2008 18:48:00

I agree with you both, it`s all HSE, Companies are frightened to death of putting a foot wrong.

Sorry Mike my bad spelling The tops are made of wooden slats.

Derek, i hope you get many more years of enjoyment from your woodwork & it obviously a testament to your outlook that you are embracing the computer, very good luck to you. I know what my dad thinks of them & as i don`t want reporting to the moderator i`ll leave his thoughts on computers to your imagination.

Baz

Thread: Router Table Plate
11/03/2008 18:07:00

No paul,

Not sure why you would need them, what make of plate did you get?

Baz

10/03/2008 22:16:00

Paul,

I don`t think a guide bush would be deep enough to fit through a plate, but you don`t really need a guide bush as the fence is doing the job in table mode, that the bush is doing in free hand routing.

Baz .

10/03/2008 22:05:00

You don`t look that old Derek, if your photo is anything to go by.

Last summer my old dad, 80 years young, did up his shed & informed me he had a few projects he wanted to do. I did point out that as i had to make new windows & help him re clad it, it would probably be quicker for me to do his projects for him. I was firmly told to get on with it & do as i was told. If only my sons were so obedient, "the younger generation". Though i seem to remember him saying that about me, some things never change.

Baz .

Thread: A quick guide to dust extraction
10/03/2008 21:26:00

I can understand that Mike, all dust deputy have done is rip off Dysons idea.

The vacuum hose (inlet) goes in on the top (widest) part of the cone, & the incoming hose a inch or so down. The cone causes a cyclon action & the dust drops down the cone into the collection drum.

Baz .

10/03/2008 21:15:00

Richard, it sure does, the other benifit is it keeps the kids out, "DAD YOUR SO OUT OF TOUCH" & hopefully i always will be.

OPJ. I have to hold my hands up & say you are right.

I got the planer for nothing as it was going to be scrapped as it was unsafe, & still is. Wadkin hadn`t even got a record of its type as it is so old, they were very good & sent me the oldest instructions they held for a surface planer.

Having said this it is the best machine i have ever used, & i have used a lot, even cnc. It`s so easy to use & set up & so accurate. Of all the tools i have it would be the only one i wouldn`t part with.

Cheers Baz .

10/03/2008 20:49:00

Derek,

I recently helped out a mate who has a big firm, but was having  labour shortage problems. I worked for him for 3 weeks & was staggered at the amount of extraction.

Even the bench i was working at, the top was were made out of 1" slates with a slight gap between them, with a filter beneath the top. the whole 8` x 3` bench was connected to the main extracter. It was an eye opener, no dust anywhere & they were producing a lot of stuff.

I thought it was real overkill, until one day a guy in a suite came round with a wand connected to a computer testing the parts per million of wood dust in the air, Mr health & safety.

I don`t think i`m even close to that kind of cleanliness, but if hardwood is as toxic as others have said on this forum, perhaps we all should be more conscious.

Cheers Baz .

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact