By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Doug

Here is a list of all the postings Doug has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Another Pressie
28/11/2010 22:25:23
Great pressie Derek.

Is it an oil finish?

Baz  
Thread: Competition entry
28/11/2010 08:21:15
Morning Dennis.

I completely agree with you with regard to accepting criticism, i wouldn`t post photo`s of my projects if i thought otherwise.

I hope my reply to Derek is taken as an explanation of why i turned a foot & not a knee jerk over reaction. I apologize if it does not appear as such.

cheers.

Baz  
27/11/2010 22:13:52
Thanks Sam.

Hi Derek,

I turned a foot so that it lifted the piece up, i was worried that it would look dumpy if it just sat flat. It wasn`t a chucking point as it was turned on a face plate & although the photo doesn`t do it justice, the foot is quite shaped.

I find design the worse part about turning & although i like the piece, there are elements i would change if i made it again.

Cheers,

Baz  
26/11/2010 07:32:56
Morning all, 

Many thanks for the comments,

My wifes take on the finial, was that it looked like a chess piece, can`t be subliminal i don`t play chess. 

The good news is i`ve been asked to return the piece so it can be photographed, which means it has been" placed" . Though i`m on tender hooks now as that`s all i was told & have to wait until the 8th of December to learn where i`ve come. Still i`m thrilled to have got into the top 3, so where ever i come will be great.

Cheers.

Baz  

23/11/2010 23:14:16
Not had much time recently around the forum, one of the reasons has been the making of this spalted sycamore hollow form which i made & submitted in my local turning club competition.

Competition entries where of a very high calibre so i have all my fingers crossed for the decision at Decembers meeting.

Inside view. 

Cheers all.

Baz  
Thread: Large apple
09/11/2010 17:38:00
Not a good photo, i managed to get a real good shine on this apple with the Chestnut buffing system, but the gloss finish has picked up the fluorescent lights & the white sheet i placed it on to take the photo, funny it didn`t look this bad on my phone.

Anyways, it`s turned from spalted sycamore with a walnut stem, measures 4" high not including the stem & 3 1/2" wide.

It was requested by my good lady wife as she`d seen something similar whilst out shopping.

Cheers.

Baz  
Thread: Yippee
09/11/2010 17:29:10
Glad to hear you are up to venturing out to the shed Derek.

As Sparky has said, take it easy mate.

Cheers.

Baz  

PS, shed time definitely keeps you sane 

Edited By baz on 09/11/2010 17:31:01

Thread: Bob Chapman`s new DVD
06/11/2010 09:36:07
I have just been browsing Bob`s site, on his home page  >>here<<  are details of his new DVD on bowl turning.

Congratulations Bob, i very much look forward to seeing you in action on the lathe from the comfort of my armchair, it`s definitely on my Christmas wish list & will make a pleasant change  having something decent to watch on the TV on Christmas day. 

Cheers.

Baz  

Edited By baz on 06/11/2010 09:36:37

Thread: hardwood supplies in south wales
03/11/2010 22:03:42
Hi Ben & welcome to the forum.

I don`t know >>this place<< but i think it`s close to you & it does native hardwoods.

Best of luck with the new workshop & don`t forget to post some photos, we all like a nose round other woodies shops.

Cheers.

Baz  
Thread: lathe motor shaft
02/11/2010 23:19:29
Excellent news Dennis.

Cheers.

Baz  
Thread: Christmas pressies
02/11/2010 23:17:10
Really sorry to hear your news Derek.

I hope you are on the mend soon.

Best wishes.

Baz  
Thread: lathe motor shaft
29/10/2010 08:33:32
That sounds like shocking quality of steel  Dennis.

I had a gear cog in an Axminster mortiser break into half a dozen pieces whilst under load,  The metal it was cast from was of such poor quality, it`s a wonder it lasted as long as it did.

It`s fine for companies to say there is no difference in quality of their product when they move their manufacturing to China, but these sorts of things do make you wonder.

I`ll be interested to hear how you get on with Record, i bought a bandsaw from them, it arrived damaged & the replacement parts they sent me were for a completely different model.

Best of luck Dennis, as you say keep us informed.

Baz  
Thread: Cyclone
19/10/2010 13:15:01
Posted by steve h on 19/10/2010 08:44:59:
Just over £200 for mine Alan with the drum -

Jeez, they`ve gone up in price, i bought mine from the Ally Pally show, 
The $ was weak, but still, that`s a hell of a hike in less than 3 years.

Baz  

Thread: What type of varnish?
18/10/2010 22:15:54
I don`t know about taking it to bed, my copy is in the smallest room in the house & it`s pages are well thumbed  

Baz  
18/10/2010 22:09:52
I paid around £125 for mine so not cheap.

You can now buy just the cone & fit it on your own barrel, more info is >>here<< on their site.

One thing i would say is for it to work well all joints etc need to be air tight, otherwise dust can escape & suction lost.

Personally i was happy to pay for the dust deputy, after seeing many different posts here & else where, about drop boxes & separators that took a lot of making & didn`t always work.

Cheers.

Baz  

Thread: I'm beginning to see the light.
18/10/2010 06:46:46
Posted by sparky on 17/10/2010 22:30:13:
I don't know if you know but if I remember correctly, 1 Lumen = 1 candle light

yebbut the candles are a lot easier to light.

Baz  
17/10/2010 22:12:04
I`ve had a dust deputy like that for getting on 3 years & as you say it works brilliantly, i`m highly delighted.

Just to add mine is hooked up to the single motor Cam vac & it works a treat, practically nothing goes into the vac. 

Cheers.

Baz  
Thread: A Head of the rest
14/10/2010 22:19:58
Hope you`re feeling better soon Derek.

You have my sympathy.

Baz  

Thread: DeWalt Planner Thicknesser DW733
14/10/2010 22:16:37
Andrew.

A quick google search threw up a Db level of 98 for the 733.

Hope that helps.

Baz  
Thread: A Famillier Name
12/10/2010 20:41:03
Thanks George,

I`ve a little wait, i`m sure it will be worth it & fireworks to celebrate  

Baz  
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact