By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gwilym68

Here is a list of all the postings Gwilym68 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Teds woodworking.com
26/01/2014 15:45:04

Hi Derek

Not really looking for any particular plans, but was browsing the web and came across Tedswoodworking and it looked interesting and thought it may be worth the purchase, (always looking for ideas) and I thought having 16000 plans would surely be handy, plus the other products/software that are included.

however can't get that saying out of my head, o.k it's £51 and some people may say it would be worth the risk, suppose I may be being to cautious, and I am very indecisive!

Gwilym

26/01/2014 13:13:13

Hi all... Can anyone help?

Has anyone gone ahead and subscribed/purchased the offer of wood working plans etc from Tedswoodworking.com?

You know that saying "if it sounds to good to be true it usually is" is this the case with this offer?

Your advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers guys

Thread: how to loose your fingers
01/12/2010 06:23:37
Prevention is better than cure...Ged, You are making a very good point with regards to safety etc, I pride myself in taking all possible steps to reduce accident when working, however like the saying goes, accidents will happen!! we can only strive to reduce the risks by taking - time, care and preventative steps. In January this year my table saw bit back! and yes all safety measures were being followed, it all happened so quick and before I could say "anyone seen my fingers" I was in hospital having my left middle finger re-attached and left index finger stitched up. Unfortunately the finger reattachment failed and was removed a week later.  anyway the moral of the story is... Health and Safety shouldn't be taken lightly, and all safety precautions should be taken to prevent accidents, however like I stated earlier they are only preventative measures and accidents unfortunately still do happen.
Thread: The next Practical Woodworking Special Edition Bookazine
30/04/2010 10:04:30
Hi All

Can anyone tell me who actually stocks practical woodworking, looked in many stores but cant get my hands on a copy.

Many Thanks

Richard 
Thread: Happy New Year folks!!
01/01/2010 20:56:04
Happy New Year to all,
Thread: sharpening
31/12/2009 10:12:42
Hi OPJ

Funny enough I,m currently on D&M web site looking at the Scheppach Tiger 2000s, its already in my basket but not bought yet,  its on offer at mo for £99, what you think of this system??

Cheers

30/12/2009 12:06:47
Hi all

I'm also looking to purchase a sharpening system,  comparing both Tormek and Schepech the price difference between them is bordering on rediculous. Can anyone explain or justify the price difference?  The Schepech machines seem to be of similar design as tormeck and do the same job at the end of the day but  for a far more resonable price tag. With the difference in price I could purchase a lot more tools and or other machines. I suppose my mind is made up, but still interested in your comments.

Roger B, Mailee, would be interested to know which schepech models you use and your opions with regards to the quality and ease of use etc.

Cheers

Thread: Workshop Heating
24/12/2009 23:53:47
Thanks all for your input, think I may stick to my oil filled radiators... especially after info from Sam, dont think I want to spend that much money on heating. Thanks all
Thread: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL
24/12/2009 22:48:34
Merry Christmas to Everyone, Hope you all have a good one and great new year.Cheers to you all
Thread: Wood burning stoves.
23/12/2009 12:03:18

This will teach me to read all threads… I have just started a thread with a similar question.

Oh well never mind.

I to am considering installing a wood burning stove mainly for heating but secondly waste disposal. We generate lots of waste within our workshops then often encounter difficulties in disposal so a wood burning stove like this could kill to birds with one stone and save on heating costs. Surely when designing these stoves they take into consideration the risk of fires etc, surely as long as the required precautions are taken they wood be safe. After all they have been installing these in log cabins for years. I suppose you could say the same for all workshop equipment really, if we misuse them or fail to take the right precautions they become dangerous.

Gwilym68
Thread: Oak Meter Box
23/12/2009 11:22:28
Looks a brilliant cover m8 your father-in-law should be well pleased. I like the idea of using the oak flooring and agree not to glue them.

Gwilym68
Thread: Workshop Heating
23/12/2009 11:10:20

Hi All

Not sure if anyone’s noticed  but the weather seems to have turned a bit colder and with all the insulation I put in my workshop it has turned into a fridge/freezer . Can anyone suggest a good heating system that would be low in cost to run etc.. I'm currently using two oiled filled radiators and even though they said in the right up that they are cheap to run I‘m a bit sceptical about this, no doubt the figures they state relate to the lowest settings…To get any sort of comfort I must run them on the highest.

Because of the waste we can all produce and sometimes the difficulties with disposal I was wondering about a log/waste burning stove, but it does make me nervous to have a wood burning stove in a wooden workshop. Any thoughts
Thread: Newbie
22/12/2009 21:56:57

hi all

May I start by thanking everyone for the welcome messages, its great to be part of such a friendly forum.

I've already had a number of people interested in my made to measure sheds, and one person enquired with regards to me building a pigeon loft. so here’s hoping that after the Christmas period I will be a bit busier. I expect business to be slow on start up, but am hoping that word and mouth will help in my venture as well as the usual leaflets etc. not looking to become a millionaire even though it sounds nice but I am happy with my current life style. Anyway if I was a millionaire what would I wish for? We live for our dreams it gives us a goal in life.

Hi OPJ, Upstairs was designed mainly for storage. (but a coffee  shop sounds good Steve h ) I intend to make Christmas decorations, garden planters, ornaments bird tables/house or what ever proves popular etc throughout the year in readiness to sell at the right seasons.

Hi Oddjob/Wolfie, I managed to convince her indoors that to do a job right you need the right tools…. So it was with her blessing (until I told her the cost ) that I invest in a few new machines, still need to build up my hand tools and replace some that have received a battering over the years (but my tool catalogues have seemed to have gone missing ). But never mind, I have put a letter into Santa for some, so here’s hoping.

Anyway I’m going on and on….

Thanks again all

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.

21/12/2009 11:45:15

Hi all

I have been a member of this site for a couple of weeks now but have been sitting quietly in the background reading through the current and past threads which I have found enjoyable and informative.

I have been dabbling with wood for a few years now, mainly due to the purchase of a house in 2000 that was in need of restoration. I am by no means an expert just a very persistent Do It Yourself person.

Prior to August this year I was in the employment of the NHS but fortunately an opportunity arouse for me to take voluntary redundancy (fortunate because I had become very unhappy and disillusioned with the NHS)

Following this decision and after long discussions with the better half and having a young family it was decided that I would not look for further employment but to try and establish a business that could be run from home. Because of my love for wood and an artistic flare we decided to risk starting a family business RGL Garden and Property Maintenance Services, basically this will be a handyman service painting and decorating, gardening etc. but hopefully will be able to specialize in sheds made to order, garden planters, gazebos, kennels, hutches, garden toys and playhouses etc.

It was decided to use some of my redundancy money to establish the business this year in readiness for 2010, since the decision I have been re-designing the bottom of our garden and constructing a new workshop to replace my old one.

Following on from all your examples I have placed photos on my profile of the progress and will continue to contribute to the forum as and when possible. No doubt I will be seeking some advice because I’m continually learning as I go along, I will most probably make a few mistakes on the way, but like the saying goes you learn by them.

May I take this opportunity to thank you all for the knowledge you have all already imparted on me through you very informative threads and wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy prosperous new year.

Richard

P.S reading through the threads I noticed that there is another Richard, so not to step on his toes or to confuse anyone I have decide to go with my middle name Gwilym

All the best

Gwilym

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact