By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for derek willis

Here is a list of all the postings derek willis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Liming Techniques for Oak
21/07/2009 14:39:47
I'm a bit late with this as I have just come accross it through Router Forums, first you will need to open the grain on the oak, this is traditionally done with a brass brush, then you just apply the wax as a very thin coat all over, it will.of course fill the open grain which enhances the whole efect, leave to dry and buff off to givea very pleasing finish to the Oak.
I have ablanket box constructed with Oak veneered M>D>F> and natural Oak treated this way, aBracket clock and a jewellery box, all of which look very good.
Derek.
Thread: powdered baize
19/09/2008 15:31:00

I hope there is such a thing, and that someone knows of it, very handy indeed.

derek. 

Thread: View with open drawers
19/09/2008 15:02:00

Brian,

I don't think they collect and return, but all the arrangements wil be in the two magazines that Ben is editing, after Christmas, I just know that some of the exhibits there are really eye opening, and are enough to make one really envious of the standard of the workmanship and originality, why don't you message Ben, and make my suggestion clear to him with your questions.

Good luck with it all.

derek. 

19/09/2008 08:49:00

Brian,

A well chosen design and choice of timbers, a piece like this should be entered into the competition at the Ally Pally exhibition next Feb. if only for it's dipla, so that so many of us can see it up close.

Superb in all of it's features.

Derek. 

Thread: Router Table Insert
19/09/2008 08:45:00

NIgel,

Sanding sealer comes in different recipes, I always use spirit s.s. which is a diluted shellac, purchased from Relics, www. try relics ,co.uk, or Axmister, or any of your usual finishing suppliers, as for the beeswax, there is no finer polish.

Derek. 

Thread: interior door help
18/09/2008 14:29:00

Gav,

Yes I did buy a very nice cutter set this year, but, it is for cabinet doors of 20mm to 25mm thickness, you would have to buy a large ogee or ovolo cutter to make the moulding, and then cut the groove for the panel with a slotting cutter, these can be of multiple construction to give you grooves of various thickness, but why not just use a stopped chamfer which you can do quite easily by hand router or table router.

Derek. 

Thread: Workshop/Garage Doors - Advice Needed
17/09/2008 12:09:00

Olly,

If you want real security, do away with the windows, make the doors as normal and then when fitted fit sheet steel over the whole of each door, with a cut out for the key, or whatever, fix the sheet steel with clutch head screws and they won't get in, unless they unscrew the hinges, here again you can use bolts to avoid that.

Derek. 

Thread: FAME
17/09/2008 09:25:00

Mike,

He's obviously aged and it suits (suites) him. 

Derek. 

16/09/2008 19:34:00

I expect Ben wrote it down so he could sat-nav you to find you.

Derek. 

16/09/2008 17:22:00

Ben,

Why are you accepting all the flack, I thought that the Woodworker was your baby not Good Woodworking. 

Derek. 

16/09/2008 17:20:00

Mike,

Doh!!! Explain.

Derek. 

Thread: Childrens Toys
16/09/2008 13:23:00

Go to your local library, you will get a book to show you many of these types of toys, if you can't find one ask, they will get one in from another branch.

Derek. 

Thread: Workshop/Garage Doors - Advice Needed
16/09/2008 13:21:00

I guess you won't want to do this, but there is a very easy way to make your glazing bars, just use plain ex 25x50 and half joint them over one another, mortise and tenon into the rail and style, then rout out the rebate and the external moulding, good time saver.

Derek. 

Thread: FAME
16/09/2008 13:13:00

We don't need to go back many years to see that every time you were featured either with a project or as in this case, that you got a complimentary copy. This was under the leadership of, Phil Davy and then nick Gibbs, alas it all stopped after that.

I have the copies to prove it.

Derek. 

Thread: Shooting Board
14/09/2008 08:59:00

My straight and my 45deg. shooting boards are both made of 25mm. mdf, they have given me very good service for 10 or 12 years with no trouble, I have a screw on addition to the 45deg. one to cope with 621/2 deg angles.

Derek. 

Thread: Re-furbished Drum Table..jpg
12/09/2008 11:46:00

Ralph,

Veneer, if you look further down at my original post that Dave Atkinson responded to you will see the full explanation.

True about commons, but fletton make a lot of various facings.

Derek. 

11/09/2008 21:01:00

Because someone else put one up as well as me.

derek. 

11/09/2008 18:16:00

Oddjob,

You dinn't like the brickwork, your place in peterborough probably gives the brick it's name, the most used brick in the country in all it's derivations, greatly  made  down south by L.B.C. London Brick Co. and elsewhere in the country as well.

Derek. 

11/09/2008 17:04:00

Oddjob,

Four drawers, four blanks.

Plain Flettons never did look much. 

Derek. 

11/09/2008 17:03:00

Oddjob,

Four drawers, four blanks.

Derek. 

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact