By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Great high chair for my buddy
19/08/2019 18:00:15

I think the easiest thing to do is search the internet images and find one you like and work from that. I have no experience of making a high chair and that is where I would start.

Sorry can't be any more help than that

Thread: Want to start woodworking
21/07/2019 08:54:15
Posted by Wilf.T on 16/07/2019 10:46:35:

Sandpaper of 3 different grits >>WT<< just a roll of 80 or 120 Grit – as used it will get softer (finer) grit.

Once you have used sandpaper it does not become "softer" it looses it ability to do its job.

Once sandpaper is used go to the next grit this will ensure optimum abrasion with it. It is one of the fastest moving pieces in my workshop.

Not only that but the idea of moving through the grits is to remove the scratches from the previous paper. Never jump more than 100 grit between paper changes this makes it easier to get rid of scratches from the one used before

Thread: Teesside woodturner charity give away
14/07/2019 10:20:36

How about some little bird houses

dscf6553 (2).jpg

Thread: Red wood slab
11/07/2019 20:16:13

It will take a very long time to dry normally 1" per year plus 1 year but the problem is that it is a very thick piece and can take a lot longer. If it is still wet/green then the ends ideally would need to be sealed to slow the drying and hopefully prevent it splitting from the end grain.

A moisture meter will only tell you the moisture on the surface or as deep as the probes can penetrate

Thread: Workshop heating and humidity
13/05/2019 08:54:38

I have insulated my shed and have a greenhouse heater(electric) in it this I find keeps the workshop above freezing this is OK to protect the tools. I have a second heater which I put on to bring it up to a comfortable temperature to work in this is only turned on at the beginning of the day for about 10 minutes as that is all it needs.

Both of these have a thermostat to control the temperature and the green house heater is very low wattage. As for the humidity I can't help on that one but I am sure using electric heaters will help.

My main heater is the oil filled type and the greenhouse heater is also enclosed.

Hope this helps in a very small way

Thread: Plans for child's wheelbarrow
05/05/2019 21:35:29
Posted by Cedric Wheeler on 15/04/2019 16:40:39:

I have some plans for a child's wheelbarrow that came from a Woodworker magazine about 50 years ago. My late father made one for my children (who are now over 50!). I wanted to put them on the forum but when I try and download them to my album the page is too big although it is only A4 size.

Am I doing something wrong?

Not sure how I missed this post but can I remind you that posting plans from any where can be covered by copyright so please check before posting any especially from publications.

Edited By Derek Lane on 05/05/2019 21:36:01

Thread: Early Christmas boxes
14/04/2019 19:29:17

Blimey and I thought I had started early making some candle holdersdevilwink

Very nice ad should be well received

Thread: Just joined, noob queries, excited about first project please help
11/04/2019 18:04:53

Try a google search for timber yards near where you are all you can do is phone and find out what they will charge many will also cotdown to length so it fits in the car.

How about newrailway sleepers the ones that Garden centres sell

Is this the video

Edited By Derek Lane on 11/04/2019 18:05:48

Thread: Bandsaw - Ripping down
02/04/2019 14:55:44

Check the blade tracking this will effect the way the blade cuts. You will need to readjust the roller guides at the same time as they may not sit where they should once the tracking is moved

Thread: Black & Decker DN339 Bandsaw
28/03/2019 17:46:01

Something similar HERE

I know it is not B & D

Thread: Autumn
30/01/2019 15:41:54

I was not sure about the pattern to start with but when applying the last coat of finish a friend came in and asked how much when I told them they brought it before the varnish had dried need I have worried.
This measures 8" X 2" made from field maple sprayed with ebonising spray and the leaves were done with Jo Sonja iridescent paints and then acrylic satin spray. I turned and sanded the three little feet to help lift this piece rather than my usual flat type bottom.
I ended up taking this photo in sun light to highlight the pattern

Some more photos of the piece

dscf0836 (800x535).jpg

dscf0833 (800x600).jpg

Thread: Stained Field Maple
29/01/2019 11:06:52

Thank you SadSam it came a respectful first It gets harder each time as there are some very good turners in our club, as well as many other clubs

Thread: Wooden Bench Screws
22/01/2019 18:44:24

The problem of rethreading is that in summer it will then be too loose. It needs stripping down in summer or if done in winter take it indoors for 3 or 4 weeks then give it a good seal with something like one of the oil finishes. Someone else may have a better answer

Thread: What sort of glue is likely to be used to join these wood pieces together?
22/01/2019 11:04:34

I highlighted the link and opened in a new tab and it shows a bed try now

**LINK**

Edited By Derek Lane on 22/01/2019 11:05:02

Thread: Stained Field Maple
04/01/2019 22:27:28

First turning of this year. Made for our club competition.

Field Maple and measures 7 1/4" X 2" and has some light ripple in the bottom, sanded to 600grit and then wiped over with water and given a final sand of 600grit to de-nibed. Chestnut spirit stain applied with paint brushes and acrylic satin varnish was used as a sealer because I ran out of proper sealer. Final coats are Acrylic gloss lacquer. I left the bottom of the foot as plain wood.

Started this Tuesday and only just finished and ready for the competition is tomorrow, I like to cut it fine and if any stage goes wrong I go into panic mode

dyed maple bowl 4.jpg

dyed maple bowl 2.jpg

Thread: natural edged laburnum bowl
30/12/2018 10:16:46

Very nice indeed Dennis I like the lip around the bowl rim

Thread: Removing rust from hand tools
24/12/2018 14:19:33

How much rust is on them. For light rust a very light sand with Wet and dry sand paper using a light oil then wipe off if it heavily rusted then look at either chemical rust removers.

Thread: Crucible
15/12/2018 20:55:16

Thank you Derek

14/12/2018 17:01:43

The Crucible

This piece is based on work of Mark Sanger. And not from the recent article in the magazine as I had already started before it came out.

Turned from a piece of quite plain Walnut. Texture applied with a power carver and the blue is Anchor interference blue paint over Chestnut black ebonising spray and a coat of Acrylic satin varnish. The copper is a metallic spray paint.
Measures 4 1/4" X 3 3/4"

Crucible 2

Crucible 3

Thread: Woken up again
09/12/2018 19:55:14

Good to see some of your work again Brian.

Two exceptional pieces love the burr inlay

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
Tormek
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact