By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wooden marble elevator toy!
14/06/2018 22:21:35

Looks like great fun and so many possibilities. I have seen many on u tube that are made in modular sections to make a larger marble run.

Thread: Beginner
08/06/2018 20:08:29

Try this http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=68823 for Pauls Build

Edited By Derek Lane on 08/06/2018 20:09:26

Thread: This months GW
23/05/2018 09:36:46

I totally agree about the amount of posts and have commented on this in the past. As Derek stated it use to take a bit of time to read daily posts.

Thread: Machining timber question[s]
21/05/2018 13:13:24

Once the piece has two paralelsurfaces and one edge then cut to a fraction over the width and finish either on a surface planer or hand planer to complete the prparation of the board.

Can't help with the chip problem as i have different machines and also have extraction to remove chips directly from them. Saves a lot of cleaning up afterwards

21/05/2018 10:29:22

If for example you want two boards from one the first planing action I mentioned will give the first board a flat and edge but the second after re-sawing will not have a clean planed surface so will require planing also. This will give me two boards with a flat and an edge planed ready for the thicknesser.

Sorry I am not very good at putting things into print. Hope this explains it a bit better

19/05/2018 23:53:32

When preparing wood for a project I surface plane a wide flat first and then edge plane one edge square to the first. I then resaw to just over the correct thickness.

Before thicknessing the board I will take the unplaned wood and surface plane that again so that I have two edges before re sawing this piece I continue doing that until I have used up the board I started with.

I will now put these planks through the thicknesser to the required thickness.

My final job will be to cut the width required plus a little so I have a parallel to the first this can then be planed so I end up with wood that now is the correct thickness and width which is planed all round

Thread: Elektra beckum HC 260 m plainer & thicknesser
16/05/2018 16:01:36

He could be talking about a capacitor. If so these can be brought but check that the rating matches that of the old one

Thread: Mini drawer chest in mahogany with side magazine slots
11/05/2018 19:11:03

You can never have enough storage. A nice little unit

Thread: Beginner
09/05/2018 22:42:50

You could look around your local area to see if there are any adult classes that you could attend. Everything that I have learnt is from books. I am a hobby woodworker/turner but there are still lots that I would like to learn. Be carefull of places like U tube as there are some very bad video's on there as well as some good ones it is a case of know which is which.

Ask questions on the many forums that are around as well can reap many answers

Thread: Lurem combination machine
26/04/2018 11:25:46
Posted by dan powers on 26/04/2018 05:39:58:

I just bought one also with a bad motor looking for one Tried to get one here just sold semi valley, was that you peter?, I love the machine mine has aluminum top I also have a robland x31 love

Dan you may find that you may not get a reply as this thread is 9 years old.

Thread: Segmented work
12/04/2018 21:18:02

Love the flower one well executed and turned. The other one is good as well. I see so many segmented workand after all this time still have not had a go yet maybe one day and if it comes out half as good as yours I will be pleased

Thread: My Recent Project
30/03/2018 18:27:08

Welcome Dave. That looks like a fantastic table and should get many years of use. There is always that feeling of success when you have made something which will be used

Thread: The Tower
28/03/2018 17:58:51

Thank you Al

24/03/2018 15:00:38

Thank you Derek. I had great fun making it.

24/03/2018 10:58:54

It stands 12" tall and at it's widest is 3 1/4" The main tower is Ash and the bowl section is Field Maple with the eye in Holly. The top was textured on the outside using a hanging type multi-tool with a small metal cut off disc in the edge.
Ebonising spray was used for the black and airbrush gold paint for the inner surface over the ebonising spray as it is the best effect when done that way. I added some decorative copper nails around the base to add something to a very plain support.
The eye again ebonising spray after using a pyrography machine for the pattern then a gold gilt cream rubbed in. Once it was fully assembled a coat of micro-crystalline wax applied for protection as this is for decoration only so will not be handled a great deal.

dscf9330 (600x800).jpgdscf9327 (600x800).jpgdscf9328 (800x600).jpg

Thread: Looking for a high quality hammer drill
23/03/2018 08:58:57

De Walt , Makita and Bosch as well as a few others are all better drills, I would however advise that whichever you go for that you work out what size you need to drill and which is the most common size as that needs to be within the centre of the drills capacity of drill size

Thread: making small mouldings
18/03/2018 16:15:48

Great idea and stop the wood tipping if trying it without I should imagine

Thread: How to identify the quality of pine flooring
11/03/2018 16:06:02

I may not be the best person to answer this question but them boards don't really look as though they would hold op to much traffic. With the samples could you not take them to a local wood yard and just ask if it would be suitable.

Can you push your finger nail into the wood and mark it easy if you can then I would say no good.

But please get an expert with this type of thing, personally I would go for a hardwood. The boards that they have shown a picture does look a bit like scaffold board

Thread: Pergola
27/02/2018 20:18:42

Veyr nice indeed Paul. Good to see you posting again, next job put a roof on it so you don't get wet when going to the shed

Edited By Derek Lane on 27/02/2018 20:19:24

Thread: Burr bowl and economy bowl
27/02/2018 11:18:27

That's the main thing that you like it. have fun in the shed

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact