By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for The Admiral

Here is a list of all the postings The Admiral has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workshop advice - large shop I need of some TLC
25/07/2014 16:05:06

I'm hoping to again some input from the wise heads on the forum.

we moved into our new house in April, and I'm just getting round now to sorting out the workshop. It's an old boat shed, as the previous owners kept a boat, and is pretty sturdy - although the roof needs replacing begin to long, and - and this is the point of the post, some of the boards which make up the walls are cupped, and light (and the weather) is clearly able to penetrate.

ideally I'd like to insulate and ply line, and put in some windows, but there seems little point at this stage if it's not weather tight. The boards are in good nick and have clearly been treated pretty regularly, but the wall with the main issue is south facing and consequently gets a lot of sun. The construction is weatherboard on a timber frame.

I'm thinking it could be as simple as screwing the boards back with some tropicalised screws, but do I then need to line it with a proofed martial before using a foam insulation? The previous owner had used the temporary measure of hanging white tarps, as he stored furniture in there, but that's not a long term solution clearly!

I'd welcome any thoughts.

Thanks.

A

Thread: New workshop - priorities?
10/02/2014 20:39:15

Simon

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, and I've had a look at your pictures of the workshop : very nice, and well organised. Could I ask you how you lined and insulated it please, as the workshop I'm looking at is a simple frame covered with heavy duty t and g, and it will need some finishing internally to make it comfortable year round? Thanks for the view on the machines too - any thoughts on manufacturer when you refer to just getting in under the £1,000?

Regards

A

09/02/2014 20:37:06

I am potentially in the fortunate position of having a 24 x 12 workshop at my disposal, and I would welcome a bit of insight into what people think would be a good investment in terms of machinery.

The workshop is part of a house we are hoping to buy, and if we can do the deal, I'll be fitting out parts of the house with bookcases and cabinets etc. Material will generally be ply or MDF, and I'm thinking of perhaps a decent table saw, which will mean I can rip down sheets myself, rather than pay the yard to cut it for me. I'd rather buy one decent bit of kit than 3 poor ones, and I'm happy going down the second hand route - from a forum such as this. Budget would be a maximum of £1,000 - which I have managed to convince my wife represents the saving on paying a tradesman to do the work(!). It will get use from there on, so something of a serious hobby/ light trade bit of kit would be the idea.

If anyone thinks I could go beyond one machine with that budget, I'd welcome views on what next. I also need to think about dust extraction and any suggestions on that would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

A

Thread: Tenor ukulele
16/05/2012 19:57:30

Stunning - a beautiful looking instrument. Congratulations.

And just in case anyone thinks they are a 'toy' guitar or not a serious instrument, you may want to check this Youtube video : **LINK**

Thread: Advice on plane purchase
08/03/2012 09:05:06

Now I have the workshop up and running, the first thing on my list is to upgrade some of my hand tools - particularly a good plane or planes.

I would welcome some suggestions as to what to go for in terms of a good all rounder for basic work. I'm happy to go used and I have my eye on a couple of Stanley planes on eBay, but equally, if new is the better option, then that's fine. I know this is a bit 'how long is a piece of string' in the sense that one could spend hundereds of £ on just one top of the range tool, but it's the classic trade off between someting really cheap, which is cr*p, and spending more than I need to, to get a useable, quality tool that will last. I'm not looking for a Kia or a Ferrari - more the Mondeo of planes!

Thanks in advance.

A

Thread: Power supply for new workshop
02/03/2012 14:35:14

Gents

Many thanks for your collective wisdom. I'm actually having the cellars converted at my house, and the sparkie who is doing the rewire of the cellars (4 cellar chambers - new distribution board and wiring throughout etc) gave me that price as an additional job, which may be why he is doing it for what is a 'good price' - based on your feedback. It just seemed a lot of cash for what looks like a pretty straightforward job - but, as has been pointed out - there is more to it than one imagines.

Cheers

A

01/03/2012 17:01:12

I'd welcome some views on a price I've been quoted for putting some power into my new workshop. (14 x9 heavy duty workshop, tanalised 35mm T&G, shingle roof - very, very nice!!) It will be coming through our cellars - which are fully accessible (you can stand up) and dry - out of the rear wall and down the garden, 125 feet (about 35m) and finished with a RCD distribution board and 4 x 13 amp sockets. Standard 240v mains. The armoured cable is being clipped to the bottom of my fence, and so no digging required - just a bit of wriggling behind the shrubs. To me this doesn't feel like a desparately expensive job, and I accept that we may be talking £100 - 150 wholesale for the materials, but £500? Is it me, or is that a bit pricey?

To be honest, I'm tempted to do it myself, and have it checked by a qualified electrician - it can't be that hard with a good amount of reading. I've done some wiring before, and I learned a lot from my late Dad who was a qualified electrician (which is perhaps why I am baulking at the price - I know how much he would have thought it was worth!).

Any experience(s), or thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

A

Thread: Any views on this package please?
28/11/2009 20:21:58
Thanks gents

If it was guitars - I'd have no problems, but I'm a bit lost in terms of tool brands I'm afraid - beyond the obvious ones you would expect to find in the diy superstores.

In my experince there is nothing more frustrating than realising you have wasted money on a bit of kit - only to have to buy again, when you have more experience and know more.  Also, most peoples experience of tool buying will be at the diy end of the market - wher you find a limited range, which finishes at  the Stanley/Bosch, or maybe DeWalt level.  Consequently they have no frame of reference, as they would with say cars : everyone knows about Rolls Royce and it's even become a colloqiual term 'Rolls Royce product'  - and equally we might have a view on Skoda or perhaps Kia - so what are the equivalent brands?    

Has anyone done a feature on buying a tool kit from scratch - with say 10 - 12 key items, and then running a head to head test at perhaps three price points - to establish the 'best buys' in the categories - Bronze, Silver and Gold - or to follow through my car analogy : Ford, Audi and Porsche perhaps?

I would imagine most manufacturers would be delighted to be awarded a 'Get  Woodworking' Gold Award - and push this on their packaging.  It certainly works in the Hi-Fi and car worlds - with What Hi-Fi? and What Car? giving out gongs, which are then plastered all over their advertising.  Improves brand awareness for the website too.  Perhaps you could arrange a competition off the back of it - for a 'Gold Standard Tool KIt' - made up of all the class winners?   

This type of feature would be very useful for the likes of me, and also something one could leave laying around for one's better halves to stumble upon : especially near Christmas!

Regards

28/11/2009 17:48:22
I'm currently upgrading my tool kit and I have some very cheap and nasty planes which I would like to move on from, and I spotted this on Amazon.

>> Faithfull's 5 piece carpenter's tool set <<

I actually need all the items that come in this set -so if as a brand they are worth having in terms of quality I may invest.  I have no frame of reference as I've never seen Faithfull before.  Alternatively - am I better off looking for something second hand froma better manafacturer, and if so, any thoughts on where - other than the obvious such as eBay?

All observations welcome!

Thanks

A   

Edited By sparky on 28/11/2009 18:39:29

Thread: Hello - and some advice please!
25/11/2009 16:14:45
Hi Frank

Thanks for the tip on adjustable legs - good idea if we move and I have to put it on a level floor.  I actually got married in Australian in 1997 - in Tascott NSW, and we flew to Cairns - before driving down the Queensland coast to Brisbane as a honeymoon.  Lovely country - just a bloody awful journey getting there.  Sorry about he cricket last summer by the way!

A      

Posted by Frank Plummer on 25/11/2009 09:46:53
:
Hi Admiral I'm Frank and I live on the Gold Coast of Queensland Australia,welcome to the forum.I've just finished my workbench in my shed,it has 4 x 4 legs with 3/4 threaded bar drilled into them so that it becomes adjustable for height,a shelf under where I have plenty of storage including 3 large drawers for bits and pieces. I agree with some on the forum that a good bandsaw should be the first machine to buy because of its versatility then after a small thicknesser to finish your timber to size,saves a lot of work.
Welcome to the forum. Regards Frank

24/11/2009 23:48:50
Thanks guys - some good input and very welcome.  I'm going to be looking at second hand without doubt, and perhaps that is  a subject for a feature in the magazine : a guide to buying used tools and machinery?  I certainly wouldn't have a clue on makes to look for, or how to spot a knackered bit of kit - and I imagine that each item will have obvious weak points which one might find expensive to resolve, particularly wear & tear issues.

I've actually been following a few things on ebay, and I've picked up a nice Record 52 vise for £11 from a guy in Bradford - which give me something to start the bench building project for, and I'm keeping an eye out for a decent plane or two now.  Interesting that many of the people on eBay seem to be selling 'inherited tools' that belonged to their Dad - and they now have no use for.  Quite sad in a way that those much loved workshops will be broken up now, but at least we  can try and give the tools a good home I suppose.  

Regarding the floor : I have considered this, and we did actually look at getting a cellar conversion done, right through the basement level, but as there are only the two of us - and the mess and upheaval is horrendous, (as was the price!) we decided against it.  I could just do the front cellar - where I'm looking to put the bench, but it's a dirty job, digging out 12 inches of concrete and sub floor - and then pouring a new slab, and consequently the prices I've been quoted are not feasible.  So, a wonky floor and duck a bit it is then!     

Finally : I was interested to note that on the click through link to Timber Merchants on the 'where to buy' thread, there were none in the Manchester area.  Anyone know any up in this neck of the woods - or know a member who might have some thoughts?

Thanks again chaps.

Regards

A

Edited By sparky on 25/11/2009 04:43:40

23/11/2009 09:48:55
Hello 

Like many people who join forums I suspect - I've 'lurked' here for a bit, trying to get a feel for the mood of the board  - and I have to say this seems a very friendly forum (unlike some I read from time to time). Consequently I'm hoping for a bit of advice about upgrading my tools and building a bench.  I had a bit of a health scare recently and it's prompted me to make a few changes - not least the fact that I'm going to get on with doing all the things I have been promising myself for years - including putting up a bench in my cellar, and renewing my relationship with my tool kit.

Firtsly, the bench.  I live in an Edwardian house and the cellars are dry and heated, but, at 6ft 2in, I can only stand up in the 8 feet near the front of the house, where the floor slopes away to the old washday drain.  The rest of it is about 5 10, so I can't stand up - or work - comfortably.  I have always used a B&D workmate up until now, but I want to build a proper bench, with a woodworking vise and, in time, a metalworking rotating 'mechanics' vise, and finally, jut to complicate things further, not only have I got to level it on a sloping floor, but it has to be moveable, as I need access from time to time to the drain.  I'm not looking at anything too fancy - I have some salvaged 32mm MDF for the working surface for instance, but any suggestions for a design which will accomodate a Record style vise would be welcome.

Secondly - the tools.  I have a good tool kit and I have always looked to buy at the slightly better end of the DIY spectrum : Bosch power tools etc - but I am now thinking of upgrading - particularly the hand tools, which aren't terribly good.  Any thoughts on brands, and perhaps what constitutes a good starting tool list?  I don't have a wide range of woodworking specific tools- and some guidance would be welcome.  This will no doubt be driven a little by what I'm going to use them for - which will be building some garden furniture (Adirondack chair for the Mrs), some bird boxes and down the line - I've always fancied having a go at a solid body guitar!  I certainly need some new chisels and a hand drill for example. 

Finally - and thanks for your patience if you got this far - what small workshop machinary would you buy (if any) if you only had room for one or two things, and they had to share a cellar with the laundry (so not too much dust!) : planer/thicknesser, router table, or perhaps a bandsaw?

Many thanks in anticipation of your input - sorry for the long post!

IM                
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact