By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger W

Here is a list of all the postings Roger W has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bentley Wood Fair
09/10/2008 20:54:00

I couldn't agree more with Oddjobs comments on fittings, and while I dont know much about clock mechanisms I understand the one I got for my long case clock (see my gallery) came from Germany. When it came to the face I couldn't find anything suitable - so ended up buying a sheet of brass and engaraving my own. I'm lucky enough to work at a school with access to CAD drawing package and a small CAD/CAM router!

On a similar note I had the latest Rutlands catalogue delivered today. It had a cabinet hardware supplement and everything looks top quality.

Roger 

Thread: Sound proofing
16/06/2008 09:50:00
But the question was about Sound proofing not thermal insulation!
10/06/2008 17:46:00
Condensation need not be a problem. You need a few small ventilation holes top and bottom to the outside, loosley plugged with cotton wool or similar to keep insects out. The air movement is slow and doesn't affect the thermal property, but it ensures the humidity is the same as outside, but the temperature will be above outside so the air in the void will be above dewpoint. It may get there briefly when the temperature ouside falls rapidly but should soon clear.
10/06/2008 13:02:00

If you make your own double glazing make the panels NOT parallel by about 10 degrees, and line the end with the widest gap with sound absorbent material. The sound will get reflected into this rather than being bounced backwards and forwards between the glass untill it get through!

Never tried it myself but the theory seems to work and I'm told it makes a difference! 

Thread: Woodwork Fellowship
01/06/2008 09:20:00
Good Idea. I'll talk to them when I see them, but this might not be for some time!
30/05/2008 21:56:00
I won't be able to make our June meeting but if you were to call in the members would make you welcome!
29/05/2008 18:08:00

I belong to the Sussex Woodcraft Association who meet in Burgess Hill Sussex -

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/fablamorna/sussexwoodcraft.html 

They normally meet on the second Wednesday of the month (3rd Wednesday June 08) have a speaker (not necessarilly wood related) and exhibitions, (next one at Wakehurst Place 21 - 22June), talk about their work and have a small sale table (surplus tools wood etc.) at every meeting. In November are having a tool auction.

Thread: Stanley No.5 NEW_1
18/05/2008 21:51:00
And don't they feel a lot nicer! It's usually one of the first things I do to a "new" plane, but isn't that black stain a pain? Why on earth did they  feel it necessary
Thread: slabbing 024a.JPG
14/01/2008 09:03:00
What a great set of photos.
Thread: The International Woodworking Exhibition 2008
04/01/2008 21:08:00

I too try to go on Friday, some times you can get better deals at the end of Sunday if you're prepared to haggle and they have things they don't want to take back!

Roger  

28/12/2007 13:05:00

I always try to listen to some of the masterclasses.. I always listen to John Pizey who gives one on french polishing. He's brilliant. Most things you can get from a catalogue but talking to people .......................

Roger

Thread: Honing guides ~ six of the best
26/11/2007 21:46:00
They do make it more accurate but they make it much slower. With a bit of practice just  feel for the primary bevel, lift up another few degrees, 3 or four strokes on a diamond stone, wipe the wire edge off and job finished  before you have even  fitted the blade into the guide. For the same reason (speed) I love the Clifton cap iron. You can keep your blade sharp in a fraction of the time it would otherwise take as you don't need to remove it to sharpen, and no time wasted resetting after. If you work like this you'll sharpen the blades as soon as they need it and will enjoy the work more.
Thread: Bentley Wood Fair
09/10/2008 20:54:00

I couldn't agree more with Oddjobs comments on fittings, and while I dont know much about clock mechanisms I understand the one I got for my long case clock (see my gallery) came from Germany. When it came to the face I couldn't find anything suitable - so ended up buying a sheet of brass and engaraving my own. I'm lucky enough to work at a school with access to CAD drawing package and a small CAD/CAM router!

On a similar note I had the latest Rutlands catalogue delivered today. It had a cabinet hardware supplement and everything looks top quality.

Roger 

Thread: Sound proofing
16/06/2008 09:50:00
But the question was about Sound proofing not thermal insulation!
10/06/2008 17:46:00
Condensation need not be a problem. You need a few small ventilation holes top and bottom to the outside, loosley plugged with cotton wool or similar to keep insects out. The air movement is slow and doesn't affect the thermal property, but it ensures the humidity is the same as outside, but the temperature will be above outside so the air in the void will be above dewpoint. It may get there briefly when the temperature ouside falls rapidly but should soon clear.
10/06/2008 13:02:00

If you make your own double glazing make the panels NOT parallel by about 10 degrees, and line the end with the widest gap with sound absorbent material. The sound will get reflected into this rather than being bounced backwards and forwards between the glass untill it get through!

Never tried it myself but the theory seems to work and I'm told it makes a difference! 

Thread: Woodwork Fellowship
01/06/2008 09:20:00
Good Idea. I'll talk to them when I see them, but this might not be for some time!
30/05/2008 21:56:00
I won't be able to make our June meeting but if you were to call in the members would make you welcome!
29/05/2008 18:08:00

I belong to the Sussex Woodcraft Association who meet in Burgess Hill Sussex -

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/fablamorna/sussexwoodcraft.html 

They normally meet on the second Wednesday of the month (3rd Wednesday June 08) have a speaker (not necessarilly wood related) and exhibitions, (next one at Wakehurst Place 21 - 22June), talk about their work and have a small sale table (surplus tools wood etc.) at every meeting. In November are having a tool auction.

Thread: Stanley No.5 NEW_1
18/05/2008 21:51:00
And don't they feel a lot nicer! It's usually one of the first things I do to a "new" plane, but isn't that black stain a pain? Why on earth did they  feel it necessary
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact