By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Waters

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Waters has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dolls House Plan
29/12/2010 16:20:08
Hi all,

I want to make a dolls house for my two daughters.  I have seen the article in the last edition of Practical Woodworking (Toys and Games) which looks good, however, I also remember seeing one a while back for a Tudor style dolls house.  I think this was also in an edition of Practical Woodworking but I have looked through my collection and can't find it anywhere.

Can anyone remember what edition it was in and does anyone know it if is available to buy as a back issue?

Cheers
Thread: Problems with getting Triton
31/07/2009 09:48:27

Daniel,

Further to my last post.  I have a found a shop called Hunter Tools.  They seem to have some stock of spares and accessories.  They even had a WCA400 which I have been looking for ages for (must be the last one anywhere!).  There is no on-line  ordering but given them a call and they will arrange delivery etc.  They are based in Surrey if you're local to there.

Or if you are after a dust bag, my local B & Q (Milton Keynes) have three left on clearance at £28.50.  If you are near there you could pop in, otherwise, if you want send me a message we can arrange so that I can get you one and post it on.

Ian
30/07/2009 13:03:36

There is some information on this page here about Triton.  Spare parts/accessories may be available again soon hopefully.

Thread: Ryobi 1525
29/07/2009 11:27:40

I am looking to buy a second hand table saw.  I have a MK3 Triton Workcentre which is great, but it takes ages to set-up to make accurate cuts and as I use the Router table top as well I am constantly having to re-align the saw when switching between routing and sawing.  I don't need a big capacity saw as I don't have room to cut large sheets anyway and most of the projects I have planned are small.  There are a few Ryobi 1525 saws on eBay going for a reasonable rate.  Would anybody recommend these?  I not the most experineced wood worker so I think accuracy is the most important thing.

Cheers

Ian
Thread: Hand Planes
22/01/2009 13:40:28

I also recommend second hand.  I managed to get a old Stanley No 5 off ebay for £12.  It had a small crack on the handle which I fixed with some glue and the blade needed sharpening but that was it.  Works perfectly now.
Thread: Triton Users?
22/01/2009 13:37:02

I think I have seen a few people on her before say they use Triton tools?  I have a few and have just tried to order a spare part from a few places and have been told that the UK distributor has gone bust and they can't get anymore.

I have e-mail Triton in Australia and am waiting for a reponse.  If anyone thinks they might need some spares might be a good time to order before they are all gone!

Thread: triton
10/09/2008 13:25:00

Triton stuff doesn't seem very popular in this country at all.  A while back B & Q had all their stuff on clearance.  I got the Precision Circular Saw and 1/2" Router for £90 each, the RRP is over £200 for each of these.  The build quality and accuracy of these tools is very good however both the router and saw I think are mean't for use in the Workcentre as they are very heavy and awkward to use by hand.

Thread: Hand Planning
29/08/2008 13:48:00

Thanks for the replies.  I didn't round over the blade when I sharpened it so that could be the problem.  It only happened on the first board so it was probably user error more than anything else.

I'll post some photos when I get home tonight.

I have to admit it is quite good fun hand planning.  I always thought I would be more of a machine man but hand tools are great.  A lot cheaper too.

Cheers

28/08/2008 21:03:00

I recently tried my hand at thicknessing a softwood board using a hand plane which I bought of Ebay.  It took a while to get the blade sharp but after it was I got on quite well. The only problem I had was on one board it was leaving small grooves in the wood, about 5mm thick either side of the blade. 

I'm not sure what caused this, does anyone have any idea?  I fiddled with the iron and cap and the wheel and it did go away on other boards but has made a bit of a mess on one board. The savings were comming off in long ribbons about half a mm think, is this two deep?

Thread: Price of Bench Grinders
02/05/2008 10:26:00

Baz,

I didn't realise there was a cheaper Tormek, £160 is still alot of money but thinking about it some more I think it might be worth while.  I bought some Stanley had planes on Ebay which need some sprucing up and the irons need a good sharpening.  I was going to get a Triton workcentre to go with my Triton circular saw (I don't have a table saw), but I think I will put this off and go for the Tormek.  I've avoided buying cheap stuff so far, so I don't think I should start now.

Cheers

Ian

30/04/2008 10:18:00

Thanks for all the replies.  It has cleared it up a bit, I don't think that even if I have a spare £360 quid I could justify the Tormek.  The record power 8" looks a good bet with a 5 year warranty.

23/04/2008 21:10:00

I am quite new to woodworking, I have read lots of books, read lots of magazines, looked at lots of tools, and bought lots of tools, I have even made one or two things.  Along the way I have learnt alot.  However, one thing eludes me.  How come some bench grinders cost £10 and some cost £360?  How can there be that much difference? 

All they consist of are two spinning discs, with one sometimes bathed in water.  So why the big difference?  Can there really be a difference in accuracy?  Surely this is down to the operator?  What about reliability, so what if the £10 one breaks after a year, I'll replace it, am I really going to go through 36 bench grinders?  So what is the X-Factor with these things? 

Thread: triton
10/09/2008 13:25:00

Triton stuff doesn't seem very popular in this country at all.  A while back B & Q had all their stuff on clearance.  I got the Precision Circular Saw and 1/2" Router for £90 each, the RRP is over £200 for each of these.  The build quality and accuracy of these tools is very good however both the router and saw I think are mean't for use in the Workcentre as they are very heavy and awkward to use by hand.

Thread: Hand Planning
29/08/2008 13:48:00

Thanks for the replies.  I didn't round over the blade when I sharpened it so that could be the problem.  It only happened on the first board so it was probably user error more than anything else.

I'll post some photos when I get home tonight.

I have to admit it is quite good fun hand planning.  I always thought I would be more of a machine man but hand tools are great.  A lot cheaper too.

Cheers

28/08/2008 21:03:00

I recently tried my hand at thicknessing a softwood board using a hand plane which I bought of Ebay.  It took a while to get the blade sharp but after it was I got on quite well. The only problem I had was on one board it was leaving small grooves in the wood, about 5mm thick either side of the blade. 

I'm not sure what caused this, does anyone have any idea?  I fiddled with the iron and cap and the wheel and it did go away on other boards but has made a bit of a mess on one board. The savings were comming off in long ribbons about half a mm think, is this two deep?

Thread: Price of Bench Grinders
02/05/2008 10:26:00

Baz,

I didn't realise there was a cheaper Tormek, £160 is still alot of money but thinking about it some more I think it might be worth while.  I bought some Stanley had planes on Ebay which need some sprucing up and the irons need a good sharpening.  I was going to get a Triton workcentre to go with my Triton circular saw (I don't have a table saw), but I think I will put this off and go for the Tormek.  I've avoided buying cheap stuff so far, so I don't think I should start now.

Cheers

Ian

30/04/2008 10:18:00

Thanks for all the replies.  It has cleared it up a bit, I don't think that even if I have a spare £360 quid I could justify the Tormek.  The record power 8" looks a good bet with a 5 year warranty.

23/04/2008 21:10:00

I am quite new to woodworking, I have read lots of books, read lots of magazines, looked at lots of tools, and bought lots of tools, I have even made one or two things.  Along the way I have learnt alot.  However, one thing eludes me.  How come some bench grinders cost £10 and some cost £360?  How can there be that much difference? 

All they consist of are two spinning discs, with one sometimes bathed in water.  So why the big difference?  Can there really be a difference in accuracy?  Surely this is down to the operator?  What about reliability, so what if the £10 one breaks after a year, I'll replace it, am I really going to go through 36 bench grinders?  So what is the X-Factor with these things? 

Thread: My first workbench
06/04/2008 22:15:00

Chaps,

I have just been building my first workbench.  Nothing exciting, just made the frame out of 2 x 4s and plonked a solid core door on top. I'll post a pic when its finished.  I bought a 9" vice from Rutlands but I am not sure where to place it.  I will be doing a lot of hand planning of stock (partly because I want to learn the skills, but mainly because I can't afford machinery!).  Should I put on the wide end or the narrow end?  I guess the best thing would be to buy another one and have one in each place?  Also what is the best way to fix it to the top?  The holes are quite large, I thought coach screws and a washer?  Any thoughts?

Cheers 

Thread: Performance Power Mitre Saws
11/03/2008 21:50:00

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.  I had a look at the saw in person in B & Q earlier and it is very flimsy.  I have had a look on eBay and there are a couple of used examples of better saws going at a reasonable rate so I think I will go for a second hand one.

Cheers

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact