By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Finally a job in Oak!
28/05/2012 19:55:39

I agree - you cant beat real wood for a job, I presume Simon that cabinet restorers use wire wool on their work without problems because the surface of the job is already sealed. Would that be correct ?

Thread: jcb for hire
28/05/2012 19:52:25

Ah well, you live and learn. Thanks for that Al.

Thread: Dado
28/05/2012 19:49:56

Hi Paul -- I think we all see how easy Norm does it with the dado blade set and you can get them in the uk, David Free used to have the legal bit on his website but it doesn't seem to be around anymore. I think it was up to 7/16" on a Saw that has a long arbour but that would have to be checked, the new regs on table saws say that they have to have an electronic blade brake this has been the case for a good few years now and you definitely can't use a dado with a blade braked saw. I have never used a dado and found the router to be perfectly accurate if the correct jig is used, have a look at Ron Fox's articles and U-Tubes they are really good and informative.

Thread: jcb for hire
27/05/2012 15:58:31

Hi Robert - These are great looking models, I don't think you can realy

call them toys can you ?

Does anybody know the reason why so many of the posts on this site

spread over to the right hand side of the page underneath and beyond

the adverts !

Edited By Julian on 27/05/2012 15:59:24

Thread: A bit of a gloat :-)
21/05/2012 19:49:02

Hi Ian -- Don't think you can go far wrong with a startrite machine if it's been looked after but from the looks of your picture the T-30 is about the same age as my Saw & Planer. Both these machines are imperial in their threads so you may find that the mounting port is 1-1/4" rather than 30mm. Still a good price though and I would think plenty of parts available for these. Good Luck and let us know how you get on -- Julian

Edited By Julian on 21/05/2012 19:52:48

Thread: Tenor ukulele
19/05/2012 14:35:53

Hi Admiral -- I don't think anyone could say that the ukulele is a toy, although I don't play it both my Father and Grandmother played them brilliantly, Jake of course is probably one the best in the World.

Thread: The next generation...
19/05/2012 14:24:35

Hi Paul -- Good to see the kids getting involved, they seem to be a bit more creative that us old stick in the muds ! (I only talk personally) -- Julian

Thread: earing stand
19/05/2012 14:21:15

Hi Dennis -- Another masterpiece, is it Cherry ? -- Julian

Thread: adding photos
19/05/2012 14:18:16

Hi Dennis -- I notice a few changes to the site as late, most of them good. I still wonder what the real reason was for removing Sparky's Guide from the front page as they were just so good. Julian

Thread: club comp
10/05/2012 19:10:06

Hi Dennis and Robbie -- Your club certainly has some talent in it, this has been said before but I know when my club had an open competition it was said at the outset of the judging that the object itself was not being judged because you can't compare beautiful girls against lumps of rock so you have to award points to the various turning actions and the perspective and balance of the piece. As Ian says each judge has different ideas about a piece but you must not be put off by their decision. Learn from it and understand what the judges are looking for and emphasise those points. You can't fail to win then ! ! ! Any way better luck next time I am still in envy of you both. Julian

Thread: Ash Bird table
23/04/2012 19:59:34

I have to say that I make all of mine from pressure treated timber from the wicks shed, it's done me ok over the years and pretty cheap too.

Edited By Julian on 23/04/2012 20:07:35

Thread: looking for plans and then ouch!!!
23/04/2012 19:57:14

Dave -- As Al says, Brimarc used to be the UK outlet for NYW Plans so may be worth giving them a ring to see if they what you require left in stock. I suppose since Norm retired the marketing has gone too. I picked up the plans for his English Garden bench from Brimarc a while ago Good Luck !

Thread: julian's bowl
09/04/2012 11:06:57

Hi Sam -- I like smooth flowing curves as well, not always in woodworking.

08/04/2012 11:31:41

Hi Ian -- The colour of the wood is completely natural, all I have done is put some sanding sealer and wax on it. You cant really see the profile in the picture but when turned I put it on some pin jaws to turn the socket off where it was held in the chuck. The Guys at the club said that you must always remove or disguise the holding method. The person that gave me the blank said that it was Sycamore but it could be ask I suppose, I find it difficult to tell the difference.

This is the underside, sorry about the background !

Thread: digital archive
07/04/2012 17:21:30

Hi Ged -- I seem to recall one of our moderators saying the same as Richard a little while ago also.

Thread: New to turning
07/04/2012 17:20:02

Hi Eugene -- I am also pretty new to Turning and bought the Axminster set originally and I still use them, they are HSS and it has just about all you need to start with. After visiting the Yandles show last year for the first time I got Talking to the Guys at Robert Sorby and Ishley Isles so bought a couple of each and have to say they are both streets ahead of the axminster set in quality. I also bought the RS universal sharpening system for the chisels together with a record power grinding wheel and the two go well together.

This is my latest project made from sycamore (I think) and only using the Ashley 13mm Bowl Gouge and a piece of formica to burn the rings.

Have fun Eugene you will find a wealth of info from the guys on this site. -- Julian

Thread: Blades
31/03/2012 11:44:50

Hi Derek, Article in this Months Woodworker by Alan Holtham about Bandsaw Tuning _ Julian

Thread: Yandles Spring show
31/03/2012 11:38:56

Hi Simon -- arrived thismorning. Many Thanks -- Julian

Thread: Blades
29/03/2012 13:01:25

I tend to use Hamilton Beverstock only because they are walking distance from me, I can't fault them.

Thread: Yandles Spring show
29/03/2012 13:00:10

Hi Simon, will have to check when I get home. Julian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact