By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Small cabinets - suitable for Kitchen/Bathroom
15/09/2012 12:20:24

Hi Mick - They look very good, I am sure you will do very well. Best of luck

Thread: yew vase
09/09/2012 12:05:32

Hi Denis -- I know there are members on this site that don't like flaws in wood especially large holes in the side of a piece but this one turns the vase from a functional piece into a decorative piece and as such I think that Yew is wonderful in the colours and contrast that it produces. Nice Work Dennis

Thread: Mica
06/09/2012 19:13:46

Hi Ivor -- Well, I coulden't help with the question but would love to know the answer ? - Julian

Thread: what to do with a pice of checked and split wood
06/09/2012 19:11:18

Hi Denis - I love this kind of work it realy adds to the character of the piece, well done

Thread: Zyliss vice
28/08/2012 19:51:20

Hmm !! -- 3-1/2 year old post. Hi John & welcome to the forum, I too have one of these and love it to bits. My bench is usually too full of rubish when I need to do something so it usually comes out.

Thread: Goblets
23/08/2012 21:22:35

Hi Steve -- I think that most of the advice has already been said above, you need to work from the centre out and keep the handle of the gouge slightly above the cutting edge of the tool with the face at about the 10O'Clock position and keep the bevel rubbing as has been suggested. You will probably need to switch to a shear scraper for the sides or use the wings of a spindle gouge to bring up the sides. This should reduce the amount of sanding needed at the end, I think important also is to not ask too much of the tool in this I mean take light cuts and don't try to force the tool into the work.

This is my first goblet that was done a while ago now

goblet no1 - copy.jpg

Thread: Yandles Autumn Show 2012
17/08/2012 13:18:33

Hi Simon/ Sam -- I will be there on the Friday

Thread: Planer Blades
17/08/2012 13:16:05

Hi Derek -- You could try Tewksebury Saw Company, they manufacture them or Hamilton Beaverstock they advertise in the mags. They are manufacturers also. Not sure of the size that you need but Hamilton supply the ones that I use but mine are not disposable ones and they are only 1/2mile from the house

Thread: From pew to pigeon holes
30/07/2012 20:03:54

Hi Richard -- All been said, a fantastic job well done.

Thread: ELEKTRA BECKUM SPA 1000
30/07/2012 20:01:51

Hi David - three answers are always better than one. Also have a look in axminster tools there is not much you cant get from there with regard to the hose clips and bags etc. That doesn't mean that there are not cheaper places around either mind.

Thread: Dust extraction
30/07/2012 19:54:51

Hi Chris and welcome -- I had a little wobble there for a minute when I saw Sparky come up

The others will know wink

Thread: made this tick tock but?
30/07/2012 19:51:47

Dave - I think they do but too a lesser degree, a blade will cut cleanly so there will be no contamination however if for instance you turn a piece of ash with a tool that is not quite as sharp at it could be there will be a bit of pink wood around the cut edge of the piece as you are rubbing the bevel of the tool against the wood.

Thread: I must be doing something right!
29/07/2012 14:03:26

Good Tradesmen are few and far between these days Mailee, I don't think you have anything to worry about until the competition raises it's game quite a bit.

Thread: made this tick tock but?
29/07/2012 14:00:45

Hi Dave - I think you have answered your own question with the wire wool. The steel will blacken Oak quite readily as it will a lot of timbers. Mailee hit the nail on the head with that one wink I have a lump of Yew that has gone quite pink in colour because of barbed wire being wrapped around the trunk on the tree for years when it was out in the field. Very Nice Clock by the way -- Julian

Thread: megaturn lathes
09/07/2012 21:29:29

Derek/ Keith -- Talking of pricy lathes you may with to take a look at the latest newsletter from my club **LINK** the article is called Keith's Big Day Out

Thread: sierra pen
18/06/2012 12:11:57

Wow -- As you say Dennis very classy indeed, I hope you do manage to sell them -- Julian

Thread: A Use for Leftover Bits of Worktop
18/06/2012 12:09:38

Hi Richard -- Verry nice indeed, I presume the table top and the chair seats

are the old counter top ?

Edited By Julian on 18/06/2012 12:10:01

Thread: Riving knife for a table saw.
18/06/2012 12:08:12

Hi Paul -- It's only a piece of steel about 2mm thick that will come to the top of your blade and follow it's curve. If it's been removed for a reason the mounting bloc should still be in tact so should be quite straight forward. May be easier however to try and find a spare for your model (you don't say what it is). Best of luck -- Julian

Thread: Neighbours gift
03/06/2012 11:14:55

Hi Mailee -- Very nice indeed, probably a months work for me and I don't think I would even attempt the inlay. Well Done, I am sure your neighbour will be very pleased with it.

Thread: candelabra's
03/06/2012 11:09:08

Hi Denis -- Looks fantastic to me very close indeed. Did you say in a previous post that your club was having a copy turning competition ? (I wonder)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact