By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: hollow form
07/04/2014 19:40:32

Hi Dennis - You have done this vase credit as I don't think the Big Brother is the easiest of hollowing tools to get on with. I would be interested to hear how you found it and what gap you ended up using to stop the thing clogging up also how wet was the wood ? as I understand that it works better on wet end grain wood to dry wood. - Julian

Thread: rocking horse
21/03/2014 12:11:27

How good is that Sam ! I am sure she will love it. Julian

Thread: closed segment turning demo
21/03/2014 12:08:48

Hi Dennis - Good luck with the prep work, we haven't seen much segmented work as late so will look forward to it. I am sure the guys at the club will enjoy the demo when it happens the last one was excellent. Julian

Thread: lathe not turning "round"
09/01/2014 20:27:18

Hi Mark, a 5mm throw is quite lot on something like this. As has been said by Derek and Eric the bearings are the most likely cause and not uncommon either. Do you get the vibration when there is no stock mounted on the lathe ?

Julian

Thread: Hello to all
09/01/2014 20:19:48

Hi Joo and welcome from me also, as Ian says we do try and help each other out when we can. Hope you enjoy what you are doing I think that's the important thing, my wife has got used to the rustic look around the house

Julian

Thread: What,s In Store
09/01/2014 20:16:18

Well firstly thank you all for your wishes and secondly I apologise if I sounded down hearted because I don't think I really am ! Having only another 4 years to go till retirement I will probably get there early and enjoy the Baking Hot Summer that is in store for us. I do really need to get into the workshop a bit more and develop my woodturning skills (or lack of them) so I think the new lathe is going to get a bit of a battering. Julian

07/01/2014 20:15:21

Happy New Year to you as well Derek, I don't know what's in store for me this year, Certainly more time in the workshop as a Redundancy notice arrived for me on the weekend, at least they waited till after Christmas.

Julian

Thread: Happy New Year
30/12/2013 20:27:14

Hi -- Just thought I would wish everybody a Happy New Year for tomorrow night and if your having a party, have a great one. Julian

Thread: Measurements
26/12/2013 11:02:09

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. If you have access to a copy of Woodturning Magazine there is a conversion table from 3/64th to 56" in old money and the other way in new money, you will find after a while of using metric that it comes second nature. Regards -- Julian

Thread: oak bowl
23/12/2013 20:31:54

Hi Dennis -- I like the fineness of this bowl if there is such a word, does the photograph show a slight undercut below the rim ? Very elegant indeed and I am glad you were able to sort out the lathe. It's always pleasing when you fix a problem like that. Happy Christmas -- Julian

Thread: We wish you all a Merry Christmas
23/12/2013 20:27:02

Good to see everyone is still very busy, A very Happy Christmas and New Year to everybody on the forum and to those that just observe and learn from the input of others. Have a good Break Steven and thanks for your efforts since you joined us. -- Julian

Thread: christmas decorations
15/10/2013 21:15:42

Hi Dennis - These are very interesting pieces and food for thought as I think we are all going to be doing some of these over the next few weeks. I was talking to a few of the lads at the club about it and it has been suggested (although I haven't tried it yet ) that the lower finial could be made from the offcut of an acrylic pen blank to avid the cost of the former. Colwyn Way from Axminster is going to be visiting the club in November with some suggestions for decorations as well so there should be plenty of ideas floating around.

Thread: Cherry cabinets
02/09/2013 19:39:59

Hi Mailee -- You seem to be getting the hang of this cabinet making lark. They do look rather stunning though I must say, I think Cherry is a great wood for cabinet work. - Julian

Edited By Julian on 02/09/2013 19:40:26

Thread: finished at last
02/09/2013 19:34:59

Hi Ian - You are obviously a very accomplished turner as those chess pieces are very nicely turned with nice crisp edges on the fillets and good form on the coves and beads, I also like the pawns you have copied them really well. I always find getting two the same difficult letalone 16 ! -- Well Done

Thread: I don't normally
27/08/2013 21:03:04

Hi Derek -- Yes keep up the experimenting there is some very nice work coming out in this piece. The reason I mention Mark is because I went to see him demonstrate a month or so ago and he was using a lot of material other than wood to mount his work on. things like slate that have been polished and waxed and it really emphasizes the work.

24/08/2013 17:50:29

Hi Derek - The top bit looks very good to me, the guilt cream in Ash works very well. The finial sort of highlights the void and draws the eye to it. I am not sure about the base though, I think I might have continued the curvey theme with it in some way but then I am no artist. You may wish to have a look at some of Mark Sanger's work for an idea of what I mean. A very nice piece though never the less.

Thread: Rosewood jewellry box
24/08/2013 17:42:46

Hi Sam - Also welcome from me, you don't say what part of the country you are in but if you are in the south-west Yandles Show is on 6th Sept in Somerset. I can remember many years ago learning to cut dovetails in school with an S&J saw a Stanley bevel edge chisel and a template made from a bit of angled aluminium. They didn't look great in those days (they still don't) but they were tight.

Thread: trailing leads
24/08/2013 17:32:33

Hi Dave, Still around but don't sign in much these days. Sorry Mr. Fixit I don'y know your proper name and forgive me for teaching you to suck eggs so to speak but on a public forum I think a word of caution for those that may be unaware of cable ratings may be in order. Dave is quite correct in his comment about 1.5mm cable but again be aware that this is the maximum current that the cable is rated at before any safety factor is taken into account. -- Julian

Thread: Lets talk Bandsaw
24/08/2013 17:25:24

Hi Dave -- I use an old Record Bandsaw, they used to be sold as Burgess BK2 Mk2. I've had it for years and years and it has never broken a blade. You can see pictures of it in my photos. It's not used every day but is used quite a lot for the smaller jobs around the workshop.. I get my blades from Hamilton Beaverstock because they are only a mile up the road and again superb service. - Julian

Thread: trailing leads
22/08/2013 13:06:19

Just be aware that the standard kettle lead (IEC Connector) is only rated at 6A so the cable may not be good enough for 13A. There is a 10A IEC Connector that is used in the better quality kettles these have a little recess between the L & N pin socket but still check the cable rating. - Julian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact