By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: teak rememberance bowl.
23/10/2014 19:22:52

Nice display piece Dennis, they should not be put in a drawer and forgotten about. - Julian

Thread: Started the winter projects!
23/10/2014 19:21:06

Hi Mailee -- Nice looking Gate, funnily enough I have been asked to make a few garden gates as well but not being a pro in this area I have just been fixing the lower panel into a rebate with some pins. Although the timber is well sealed against the weather I was wondering how it should be done professionally so that there is no water collection point at the base of the gate.

Thread: what glue
04/10/2014 20:23:18

Hi Dennis -- When ever I have seen Norm use Teak he has removed the oil with Thinners then as Derek has said just used PVA. Let us know how you get on ( it may take a few years to fail mind ! ) -- Julian

Thread: bur oak
23/09/2014 13:29:49

Blimy Dennis, what type of antique shop do you go to !! nice bowls by the way. -- Julian

Thread: Thank you Axminster
23/09/2014 13:26:12

Hi Dennis -- Tuesday 13:23 and just finished bolting down and fitting together. The wife has to put up with odd thing staying overnight, we are both involved in so many activities that we are as bad as each other.drill press 2.jpg

22/09/2014 20:46:26

Back in the February Woodworker there was a competition to win a couple of Pillar Drill Presses supplied by Axminster Tools, well imagine my surprise when on Friday I had a phone call from a girl at Axminster telling me that I was the lucky winner of the Hobby Series Floor mounted drill press. Well it arrived today a bit battered around the lid but otherwise ok, I have straightened the metalwork so the lid now fits again and looking for a space in the workshop to fit it (job for tomorrow). So thank you Woodworker and Axminster Tools.pillar drill.jpg

Thread: Piano girls
27/06/2014 10:07:39

Hi Robert -- I think these are wonderful. Are the patterns generally available ? would dearly like to see a WIP on this sort of thing. Julian

Thread: Yandles Spring Show
27/06/2014 10:02:37

Looks I've missed the Yandles Spring Show as it was on 5-6th Sept !! face 24

Thread: Nikos Siragas demo
23/06/2014 11:03:55

Hi Dennis -- I am sure you will pick up a few tips as we all do at these events even if it's only in presentation but put those tips into your demo and it will transform the day for you. -- Julian

Thread: teak square bowl
09/06/2014 19:36:07

Dennis -- Glad you take it in good humour as it's meant, I do like the bowl and did have a go at turning one after looking at this post first time around, I had a piece of walnut given to me that was about the right size and got the gouges razor sharp but there was so much tearout on the end grain that I gave up on it. I will try again though with a piece of sycamore or something similar just to see how it turns out. Hope the fingers repair quickly -- Julian

09/06/2014 11:40:19

Hey Dennis ! with all your experience you should know better than that. Glad the damage is not too bad and that the bowl wasn't damaged either.

Thread: Where to get planer drive belt
09/06/2014 11:36:42

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. I don't know where you are but I should try looking on the interweb for a local bearing supplier and contact them, most will also supply drive belts of any design, shape or size. My local one is called antifriction components. Hope you get sorted out soon. -- Julian

Thread: Denis candle sticks and photographing
01/06/2014 15:21:56

You can get some nice little light boxes on the net at a very good price click here

The results are very good, it has been suggested to me to use the modern low energy bulbs and use the box as the defuser and yes no flash.

01/06/2014 15:20:52

You can get some nice little light boxes on the net at a very good price click here

The results are very good, it has been suggested to me to use the modern low energy bulbs and use the box as the defuser and yes no flash.

Thread: First Hand Made Project
29/04/2014 10:06:59

Hi Gareth -- Thanks for posting the picture, a very good first attempt. You will always remember your first project especially one that has had a lot of time taken over it to get the details right. I must admire you though for being allowed to set up a workshop in your living room and not a shaving in sight devil --- Julian

Thread: Shabby TV cabinet
26/04/2014 11:33:28

This is lovely ! I assume that the shabby bit is the distressing of the paintwork. A good reminder though to always keep the battery charged when you take the camera with you. Julian

Thread: Yandles spring show 2014
26/04/2014 11:29:43

Hi Simon -- Like you, I spent a long time looking at this work and the amount of detail that she went into. There was a lot of interest while I was there so I hope she has had some good feedback from the show. Julian

Thread: You may have wondered
20/04/2014 12:14:00

Hi Derek -- Nice lathe, they seem to be very popular so you should be very happy with it. I can't remember who it was now but it was suggested on one of our demo days that if you are turning a large item on a 1MT spindle to put a dummy 1MT shaft into the headstock just to give it a little extra strength. One of the lads up at the club has one and the shaft broke on him after a few months, Record replaced it by return so very good service from them. No problems since it has to be said. -- Julian

Thread: Shabby TV cabinet
11/04/2014 20:33:45

That's looking really good and up to your usual high standard but can I just ask why the AWO if it's going to be painted ? -- Julian

Thread: Hello anyone there?
11/04/2014 20:31:28

Hi Ron / Derek -- I was thinking the same thing but I suppose as guilty as anyone just viewing and not posting.

Julian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact