By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workbench
13/11/2015 11:42:15

Hi Clive - Good to hear that you are going to build your own workbench. There a multitude of designs out there on the interweb to choose from but why not take a look at Paul Sellers You-Tube Page where there is a whole series of excelent tutorials on making his bench (very similar to the Roubo Bench). This one is on my todo list for the winter.

Best Regards -- Julian

Thread: Oak Dinning Room Table top how to join together
15/10/2015 10:40:29

Hi David -- I am no cabinet maker however modern glues these days should be able to hold the joint of the table top together for a lifetime without any reinforcement. You say the planks are 35mm thick, there should be enough surface area here for a really good strong rub joint so long as the planks are jointed properly. You would only use the biscuits to help align the planks and stop them moving while the glue cures. It must be said though that the table top be aloud to move accross the grain when fixed to the base so use blocks or slotted screwholes otherwise it will split over time. Hope this helps and don't forget to post a picture of the finioshed article. Julian

Thread: Coloured Sycamore Bowl
21/09/2015 14:26:11

Hi Mark - Good to see you posting again and nice piece of work. I saw Nick making this bowl over at Burnham on Sea woodturners earlier in the year, it's from his Viking series. You may be interested in a product that Simon Hope uses for his spray paints (or some of them at least). It's a product called Preval Sprayer, they have a website and plenty of U-Tube videos but worth looking at if you don't want to go down the road of a compressor. -- Julian

Thread: Yandles Autumn Show 2012
30/08/2015 13:20:21

Hi Gerald, Keep an eye out for a Jensons Coach about 11:00 am on the Friday as it will be the club bus from Cwmbran. Not sure how to recognise you as you don't have a photo but it's always good to meet another forum member. This Post was originally started by Sam who I haven't seen at Yandles for a while, have you any idea how he is (if indeed you even know him). Julian

Thread: Band saw re-tyre
24/07/2015 22:09:43

Steven -- I spent 30 odd years in a similar role as yourself here in Wales but looking after all the electronic equipment in our Schools. I acquired the bandsaw and a few other bits and pieces from a school that I closed down a number of years ago. as you say great machines. -- Julian

Thread: Pizza Board
24/07/2015 20:24:13

All my turning tools are Ashley, I get them from Yandles when I am there at the show. You don't save a lot by getting them unhandled and there handles do sit well in the hand but you can make your own handles to your own length and design, I think this gives a lot more satisfaction. -- Julian

Thread: Band saw re-tyre
24/07/2015 20:15:20

Sounds interesting Steven, I have an old Startrite 352 with the original tyres it must be 40 years old but still going strong and the tyres are still in good shape.

Derek -- When did you become a Moderator ? good work. -- Julian

Thread: Buying a new lathe
22/06/2015 12:33:43

I have the Killinger 1400 and can't fault it but the Chinese copy sold by Axminster is also very popular and very good.

**LINK**

Axminster use them as their training machines.

Julian

Thread: Timber identification needed please
22/04/2015 11:36:06

Hi John, You could log into the AWGB Forum and post your picture there. The members are very knowledgeable about things like this. Julian

Thread: adding photos to threads?
22/04/2015 11:30:47

Hi Russell, when you are logged in you will see an Edit Post button in the header of your post, you have to put the photo into one of your albums first and then select the photo from the album when you post it. If you don't have an edit button just let one of the moderators know and it will be enabled for you. -- Julian

Thread: Dead bandsaw
22/04/2015 11:27:11

Hi Gary, Not sure how competent you are with this kind of machinery but if you are not then don't attempt it. If you remove the blade and switch on you can give the motor a tweak it should run up, if it does then the problem could be the startup capacitor. You may need to over ride the safety switch to do this which is why I would ask about your knowledge of maintenance, if you don't use a safe method it could be dangerous. As I say if this is not your area of comfort then don't attempt it. -- Julian

Thread: Stanley No 7 C corrugated bottom jointer plane
21/04/2015 14:42:42

Ehh Up Ron - Young Uns ??? OK you're probably older than me. I don't have a No7 but have used one once and although it planed smoothly enough (it was razor sharp) I did find it a bit heavy to control. I wish I could find one in a car boot sale for £9, I haven't seen one in any of the sales round here ever ! - Julian

19/04/2015 11:06:38

I found the No7 a bit big for me also, I think you need to be big and strong to use one. As Al says a No5 will do the job ok but it will need to be super sharp. Go onto YouTube and search for Paul Sellers his is probably one of the best videos I have come across if you want to use traditional tools, he is a true time served craftsman.

Thread: bandsaw advice
26/02/2015 12:05:29

Hi Max -- Bandsaws generally go on for ever, mine must be 50 years old. Run it till it drops as it's a good one and will last a long time. Julian

Thread: Fences
26/02/2015 12:02:15

Hi Roy -- I have the Kreg Bandsaw Fence on my Startrite 352 and it works a treat, very worthwhile purchase. -- JulianKreg Fence

Thread: christmas greetings
20/12/2014 16:30:29

It's that time of year again isn't it - very happy Christmas and New Year to you all -- Julian

Thread: Pocket Hole Jigs
20/12/2014 16:28:47

Hi David, never tried them on MDF but on pine they give a very strong joint. edges need to be perfectly square and apply a little glue. I have the Kreg Jig. -- Julian

Thread: Started the winter projects!
24/10/2014 12:30:29

Many thanks for that, this is the way that I was going to fit the new ones but rather than use oval nails I was going to glue in wooden dowel pins to fix the t&g to the rails. Not sure what your thoughts are on this ? Julian

Thread: Router table set up
23/10/2014 19:29:50

Hi David, I have two Erbauer 1/2" routers and the one attached to the table is exactly as Ron describes, cable tie and NVR switch. Julian

Thread: Electrical wiring help
23/10/2014 19:27:24

Hi Andrew, If your Table Saw is double insulated and does not require an earth then it doesn't matter. That said it is definitely not good practice to wire the wrong way round as a lot of safety devices are balanced between the neutral and earth so it could cause problems under fault conditions. I would wire correctly after consulting the manual as a matter of course. Julian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact