By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Makita 2704 Table Saw
22/11/2009 13:37:18
Hi ben,

Yes sorry, not used this forum business. I guess I will get it right one day.
the saw is back now better that new but I don't want to try and straighten the casting as these have a habit of parting company. I will have to get a new frame one day and get rid of the shim.

Julian
Thread: help
22/11/2009 13:15:00
Hi Chris,
   I have just bought a Startrite Inca for £200, it took two people to get it from my trailer to the shed but what a good beast. It's only Cast Alloy but very strong and does a good job.
Good Hunting

Julian
22/11/2009 13:09:25

Nothing is ever easy in this game is it ?

Having stripped the machine down to it's component level

I had to see what was causing the problem.

The motor on this saw is mounted on a frame which is attached

to the underside of the table by a pair of swivel mounts. The one

end being fixed and the other end being adjustable, this enables

the blade to be tilted between 90 and 45 Deg. It turns out that there

was a slight bend in the fixed mount end of the frame which pulled

the rear of the blade away from the fence. By elongating the 

adjustment holes I could bring the blade back parallel to the table

but it was so close to the blade cover plate I had to put a 2mm shim

at the back of the blade to put it back to the middle of the cutting slot.

The upshot of all this if it makes any sense is that we are now straight

and parallel again but I can see that a new frame casting will have to

Edited By Ben Plewes on 22/11/2009 13:17:58

Thread: BE QUICK FOR FREE TREND CHUCK!!!
03/11/2009 12:45:05
Mine arrived today (Monday) and it looks a lot stronger than the B&Q one that I bought a while ago. The Snappy bits that I have fit well so I think Trend may have this one right.
The B&Q one lives in my drill chuck so it may now be replaced by the Trend one.

Julian
31/10/2009 13:30:44
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the info, yes the fence is true to the table as is the sliding mitre gauge.  No damage can be done to the block if the holes are made bigger, there is plenty of meat on the casting and it can easily be adjusted back again. 
This is something that I have noticed for a while but has not been too important as I class myself as a "knock up" woodworker rather than a cabinet maker

Thanks for the welcome by the way

Regards

Julian
31/10/2009 12:30:25
Hi Al,
On the Makita the motor assembly (Frame as they call it) is mounted directly onto the Table bed. It is fixed to a pivot point at the one end and an adjustment block on the other end. It's just that there isn't enough travel on the block to square it all up. I recon it must have had a bash at some stage during transport and just put a slight bend on one of the castings. It does look like I shall have to het the file out and make the slots bigger.

Julian
30/10/2009 10:13:59
I wonder if anybody out there has had experience with the Makita 2704 Table Saw? I bought one from an internet power tool shop that isn't there anymore (lesson no 1, but it was nearly £100 cheaper than advertised). It's a great saw, well built and sturdy. The dust collection is good and access to the blade is easy and the tool has a good solid fence. You don't see it advertised anymore though, I wonder why ?
My problem is that the blade is not in allignment with the table/ Fence. Makita have very kindly sent me the servicing manual for this machine from which I have set the adjustment to it's maximum but there is still a slight throw from the blade. Before I set to the adjustment block with a file to elongate the slots I wonder if anybody has come across this before. It means that when ripping a long piece of timber it will drift away from the fence as you work down it's length.

Thanks

Julian
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact