By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Win with Irwin
03/07/2017 12:36:44

Thanks Derek, it's a nice clean cut with a fine kerf so yes - a good win

29/06/2017 13:16:59

A big thanks to Tegan Foley and the team at The Woodworker for running the magazine competition in June. The Irwin 165mm x 1.8mm 24T Saw Blade arrived this morning in good shape all ready to be fitted, It will be interesting to see how it compares with the existing B&Q Special (not that there is anything wrong with this one). -- Julian

Thread: Marc's carving
15/01/2017 16:44:31

Marc -- Good to see you back after such a long time. Hope things are ok with you, if I lived a bit closer I would offer to do some retrieval work on your old PC and get your data back. So long as the hard disk is ok it shouldn't be too difficult I am sure the grandchildren will be able to help you. Looking forward to more posts -- Julian

Thread: Staircase finish
24/12/2016 16:41:35

I would go for the Rustin's as well, once cured it's like a diamond.

Thread: Circular wooden column
13/12/2016 12:41:36

Hi David - This one is not as easy and straight forward as it may first sound. You may well find that the roller will need to be crowned and it will probably have a square shaft running through it so the roller will either need to be breached or done in two halves after milling the centre hole. I think most of the mangle rollers were made of Beach. I only repeat this because I have read it from posts on the AWGB Forum recently. I wonder if you were to look up your local woodturning club on the AWGB website you may find someone local that could do the job for you. I know your woodworking skills are very good so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for the average turner if you can work together on it. - Hope you are successful --- Julian

Thread: Big Thanks
15/09/2016 10:57:33

It's not the size that matters Ron, it's the quality - Glad you're sorted ArryB -- Julian

Thread: Spam ?
30/08/2016 17:07:30

27th @ 16:34

28/08/2016 16:25:37

Yes, I had one as well. I wonder if they skimmed the site for users or somehow managed to get the user list from somewhere. -- Julian

Thread: Christmas Toys
22/08/2016 11:12:52

This one came through on another forum so thought it may create some interest here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if the following would be of interest to the members? I am contacting you from Raise the Roof Productions, a television production company. We produce Kirstie Allsopp’s Christmas craft programmes for Channel 4. Each year we feature a number of Christmas craft competitions on the programme, in which we invite talented makers to appear on competing and showing off their skills in some fun Christmas competitions. You can see last year’s competitions here: **LINK**

This year we are adding a new category – best handmade toy. We are keen to hear from people who make toys from wood who might like to apply to take part. In particular, we’re keen to find people who have or could make a go kart or similar that they would like to enter.

I’ve attached a flyer, if you think this might be of interest to your members then please feel free to circulate. It’s a fun thing to do and we had great feedback from the entrants who took part in last year’s programmes to say how much they enjoyed the experience.

Please do let me know if you require any further information.

Best wishes,

Kate

Kate Wilson
Producer
Raise the Roof Productions
The Hub
Pacific Drive
Pacific Quay
GLASGOW
G51 1EA
Tel: 0141 427 5880
kate.wilson@raisetheroofproductions.com

Thread: 1:20 scale Kenworth T908 Tri-drive, Side-Tip Quad Road-train.
16/08/2016 20:06:07

Thanks for posting Roger, these are very impressive. -- Julian

Thread: Solution
16/08/2016 20:04:27

Well I go to sea in a bucket. I have never seen anything like that before. Thanks Derek. -- you certainly got me thinking down the wrong line Sam.

16/08/2016 16:54:17

Nope - still none the wiser. I have seen wooden stemmed glasses before but don't see what this does to help you make them, it's going to be a jig of some description but what for ? -- Julian

Thread: Windsor chairs
29/07/2016 14:27:01

Hi Derek -- Mine arrived this morning as well, as you say a very well written book and will provide a lot of useful information. My thanks also go to the team at The Woodworker Magazine for all their work and to Tegan for getting in touch with me and letting me know. -- Thanks again -- Julian

Thread: Next generation....
04/07/2016 16:55:20

Hi Paul, as you say it's very quiet here at the moment. Good to see your daughter getting the skillset on the lathe. You don't see too many girls in woodworking but it's a good hobby to have. -- Julian

Thread: Charnwood W583 Planer Thicknesser Problem
11/03/2016 12:49:40

Good news Andrew, glad it's all working again. -- Julian

21/02/2016 13:21:47

Hi Andrew -- Could be any number of things, I would dis the starter capacitor and try again as this could have a short if it's leaky otherwise there could be a shorted turn in the motor, you would need someone that knows a bit about motors to have a look at it. -- Julian

Thread: chainsaw
01/02/2016 14:25:53

Hi John - You will probably find that your local washing machine repair shop will be able to sort you out with some brushes. You may have to cut a pair down to size by rubbing on emery cloth so long at the contact type (the copper braid bit) is the same. If not go to your garden machinery repair shop as most of these things are pretty common across the ranges however 20Kw is quite a big chainsaw !!! -- Julian

Edited By Julian on 01/02/2016 14:27:30

Thread: Golf storage
07/01/2016 11:08:58

Nice piece of kit Mailee but I have to say. Poor old Bu****r having to store his pride and joy in an outside container !!¬

Thread: Christmas greetings
21/12/2015 10:31:39

Not too active on the old PC myself these days since not working but maybe will post a few things in the new year. A very Happy Christmas to everyone at Get Woodworking and to all the forum members and onlookers.

Julian.

Thread: Bandsaw Motor
13/11/2015 12:00:03

Hi Ged -- I have the 352 model which has a similar motor, it must be 40 years old now if it's a day but a brillient workhorse. My motor has a thermal cutout built in so after a long run of realy heavy work (generally converting logs to useable blanks for turning) it will just click and cut out. I then have to leave it for 20 minutes before I can use it again. As you have found out the cost of motors has come down drastically over the years and it is a lot cheaper to replace than repair as it is with most technology these days. -- Julian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact