By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Looking forward to a treat
28/03/2012 17:10:50

Watering down the Whiskey ! well I never did.

Thread: Yandles Spring show
28/03/2012 17:09:42

Hi Sam -- Just about two weeks time. I shall be there on the Friday, will you be working again ?

Thread: Narrow Boat
25/03/2012 11:55:37

David - Looks great I hope you enjoyed doing the work, after 6 years I would think you will be kept busy with the maintenance from here on in !

Ian - Good to see you back on the forum. -- Julian

Thread: Carving #2
20/03/2012 19:13:47

I think that's first class Derek, I love the little mouse face 1 -- Julian

Thread: Looking for a chuck!
04/03/2012 13:27:40

Hi Paul -- The metalworkers will use a three jaw as they tend to be self centering where as the 4Jaw tend to be independant. In woodworking most lathes will use 4 Jaw which will be self centering so have no fears over this. There are a number of different Chucks out there at all different price ranges but you will find that you get what you pay for. The Axminster series of chuck are very good with good aftersales service and a good range of jaws. I have the patriot chuck which I find excellent, what I will say though is get one with an removable mounting adaptor. This will enable you to use the same chuck if you change your lathe and the new one doesn't have the 3/4 x 16 thread. You may soon find that the No1 MT is a bit small for you and No2 or 3 MT will have a larger thread. Hope this helps Paul, you will find lot's of help on this site. -- Julian

Thread: Burgess Bandsaw
14/01/2012 13:39:58
Nice one Derek, Thanks -- Julian
14/01/2012 12:43:08
Hi Paul -- You don't have apublic profile so I can't send you a pm. If you send me a pm with your e-mail address I will send it to you. Julian
Thread: Yew wood
09/01/2012 13:22:35
Hi Steve -- Good advice from everyone, Yew is a wonderful wood for turning so look after it. Yes it does have a tendance to split but so long as it's seasoned properly yew should be ok. Julian
Thread: is it tight enough?
09/01/2012 13:19:18
Hi Diego -- PM me your e-mail address and i will mail you a copy of the manual. I've done it for a few on this site. This is a good little saw but be gentle with it. Julian
Thread: Greetings
23/12/2011 20:05:06
Hi George -- Good to see you on the forum again, hope everything is ok with you.
A Very Happy Christmas and New Year to all on the GoodWood Forum and to our viewers. I will also echo to Sparky if you are out there Mark ? -- Julian
Thread: Competition Pieces
23/12/2011 19:44:16
Hi Mark -- Two very nice pieces, I like the contrast between the woods and the proportions are pleasing to the eye. I take Richards point on the top finiel but excellent work never the less. Have a good Christmas Mark -- Julian
Thread: Garage doors
23/12/2011 19:41:48
Hi Mailee -- I have often wondered about the best method for fixing the boards as there would surley be a security risk if you could kick them through easily or dig them out with a jemmy bar. By the way - you say that the car was full of wood for the doors, what happened to your new van ? -- Julian
Thread: My new shop
23/12/2011 19:38:38
Hi Mailee -- Certainly looks big enough for the job, hope everything goes well over the Christmas Break. Happy Christmas -- Julian
Thread: job in process
20/12/2011 19:30:19
Um !! Forgive a Dull Question but what is a bowl saver ?
Great Work so far Dennis.
Thread: First Colouring
19/12/2011 19:46:00
Very nicely done derek, I was watching Les Thorne down at Yandles in September doing his colouring and he makes it look easy but I am sure it's not. -- Julian
Thread: xmas wish list
19/12/2011 19:42:20
Hi Paul -- Glad your getting something out of it all, my wish list is for more time in the shed !
Thread: Skittles.
19/12/2011 19:36:18
Hi Ron -- I have to say that you have some very talented turners at your club. Some very attractive pieces from what can only be described as scrap wood. -- Julian
Thread: Setting a planer???
11/12/2011 11:08:12
You are not getting a bit of snipe on the ends are you Drew ? You generally need to alow a few inches on each end of the piece for where the wood leaves the machine, the middle bit being on a flat bed can't be anything but flat and parallel
Thread: sculpted pen
11/12/2011 11:03:07
Hi Dennis -- That's a really nice combination of blank and kit, they go well together. Interesting that you say you are using the micromesh wet, does it make a difference to the finish ? I have only ever used mine dry.
Thread: rustic stool
11/12/2011 10:58:54
Hi Medims -- I love the Celtic Design it's so much like the the ones we get here in Wales. Is the top cut from a single board ? -- Julian
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact