By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Emco Rex B30 planer thicknesser
11/08/2019 09:30:29

Hi Sorry I can't help on your model mine is a Startrite and about 50 years old, I had to shim the infeed table with shimstock to get it level but I am sure when you sort it out it will last for ever. Good luck with it. Julian

Thread: Want to start woodworking
12/07/2019 09:42:19

Hi Aodhan, I always recommend Paul Sellers to newcomers His Youtube site is brilliant his bench designs are good and he is a good teacher. Hand tools only which by the sound of it will suit you. Best of Luck -- Julian

Thread: Acacia wood beams
03/06/2019 20:20:05

Hi Alan -- I don't know much about Acacia but if it's for indoors you will need to do some research on the seasoning of this timber as drying out too quickly will cause it to split and buckle quite badly. If it's come straight from the sawmill I presume it will be quite green. -- Julian

Thread: Shed Plans
03/06/2019 20:14:10

Hi Jasper -- I can't comment on Ryan as I don't know his plans but there seems to be a plethora of companies about that will build you a custom made shed however it's not difficult to do yourself and will last a lot longer than most that you will buy. -- Julian

Thread: Workbench
03/06/2019 20:08:23

Hi John, A workbench is probably the most important item in anybody's workshop and a purpose made one will always be the best. Have a quick look at Paul Sellers You-Tube Site He has a couple of different benches on here all of which in my opinion are excellent and anyone can build them and modify them to their own needs and size.

Julian

Thread: I wanted to Sharpen a Pencil...
02/04/2019 10:36:30

Hi Wilf -- I used to do the same but now just use a chisel. -- Julian

Thread: Good Woodworking Issue 236 Jan 2011
20/02/2019 12:27:05

Hi Brian - Sorry but can't help with the Good Woodworking, you can only keep so many magazines and mine went to good homes back last year sorry. I still have The Woodworker going back to 2011 though but that's no good to you.

Julian

Thread: Power and heating
20/02/2019 12:22:25

Hi John, I think a chat with your electrician will be the best way to deal with this as there may be local issues with your supply. I have a separate 40A RCD going to the workshop via 12mm 3-core SWA (only because I already had the cable) you may get away with 6mm as you will probably only be using one machine at a time. I would definitely use electric heating in the form of oil filled radiators (your supply will need to accommodate this) as gas will create a fire hazard with airborne sawdust as will most other types of heating. Good luck with the build -- Julian

Thread: New to woodworking–need advice
05/02/2019 12:53:23

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum - I echo Brian but will also say that you don't need any power tools if you want to be a hand tool only woodworker, it all depends on your enjoyment level. Probably my most used power tool is the bandsaw, I don't own any Lie Nielson planes or chisels but I do have a number of old Stanley planes from No4 to No6 as well as shoulder planes and rebate planes. All of these are second hand but work extremely well, the same for my chisels. The other very important thing is your sharpening system, using sharp tools is so important. I have some very cheap chisels (costing about £1:50 each) but they have a keen edge and work beautifully although the backs did take a bit of flattening. I think you should decide which area of woodworking you want to get into and choose the tools carefully and if you need a special tool for a purpose then get it. Have a look at Paul Sellers website and YouTube channel you will find a wealth of good information on here https://paulsellers.com/ Hope this helps -- Julian

Thread: Design and draw software
09/10/2018 11:31:00

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum - I am hopeless at using cad packages mainly because my need for them is so rare I suppose. There is one free package that people like to use and that is Sketchup, I think it's available on the google site. It may be worth you trying, there are lots of tutorials (good & bad) on UTube. -- Julian

Thread: Beginner
17/06/2018 16:43:51

Well I wish you luck with your build John, if you have ever done any woodturning you may have a look at Andrew Hall's website He is a professional woodturner and runs courses for his Blues Guitars. He had a series of tutorials in some recent copies of the Woodworker. He is up in County Durham. Julian

13/06/2018 12:52:02

Hi John, I remember reading Paul's article and thinking how well explained it was, I am sure it's not as easy as Pauls article would suggest. Also you may wish to have a look at Crimson Guitars in Dorset, I have been watching and speaking to Ben Crowe at the Yandles Woodworking Show for a few years now and he has some excellent You-tube videos as well. -- Julian

Thread: Happy New Year All
02/01/2018 16:34:38

So do I Derek, so do I !! It was sadly lacking in 2017 for various reasons but we should be clear now to carry on as we were in 2016. Have a good 2018 Derek, see you on the other forums. Julian

31/12/2017 12:56:45

I would just like to wish all of the members, staff and viewers to this forum a very Happy and Prosperous 2018. Happy New Year All -- Julian

Thread: Looking for Ryan Davenport
20/12/2017 10:57:53

Hi Michael - I am not sure what Ryan is doing these days as due to personal circumstances he has withdrawn from official activities and we haven't heard from him for a while now. Derek's link is a good idea if the query is awgb related otherwise you may have to look further. Julian

Thread: Small Table saw 10ins
21/11/2017 12:41:36

Hi David and welcome to the forum. In answer to your question I think the reply would have to be "use a router" for several reasons. Dado sets can be extremely dangerous and have to be used unguarded, all of the suppliers that I have seen say that they are not suitable for machines that employ electronic braking on the spindle. All machines supplied in the EU must have electronic braking as I understand it (or at least that is what my suppliers in work have told me). I went down this route many years ago having watched Norm Abram on the goggle box but now find that my router and a few cutters are much safer and more controllable than a dado set would be. The choice obviously is yours in a hobby situation but just remember that when you switch off the machine the blade will be trying to undo itself and a dado set will have much more torque than a single blade (flywheel effect). Julian

Thread: Acorn Smoothing Plane
09/08/2017 12:16:34

Hi Dave, I have seen these in the boot sales for a similar fee so probably not out of the way. My Son is living in Bangkok and says the same about tools it just adds to your luggage weight when going home, he tends to get his friends to take stuff out to him when they visit and get a free hotel ! -- Julian

Thread: Win with Irwin
03/07/2017 12:36:44

Thanks Derek, it's a nice clean cut with a fine kerf so yes - a good win

29/06/2017 13:16:59

A big thanks to Tegan Foley and the team at The Woodworker for running the magazine competition in June. The Irwin 165mm x 1.8mm 24T Saw Blade arrived this morning in good shape all ready to be fitted, It will be interesting to see how it compares with the existing B&Q Special (not that there is anything wrong with this one). -- Julian

Thread: Marc's carving
15/01/2017 16:44:31

Marc -- Good to see you back after such a long time. Hope things are ok with you, if I lived a bit closer I would offer to do some retrieval work on your old PC and get your data back. So long as the hard disk is ok it shouldn't be too difficult I am sure the grandchildren will be able to help you. Looking forward to more posts -- Julian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact