By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RICH KELLOW

Here is a list of all the postings RICH KELLOW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workshop build
09/09/2008 19:57:00
Evening fellow woodies, I thought that there was a video link to Alan Holthams workshop build but I can't find it? can anyone help me please. Regards, Rich.
Thread: Accurate Mitres
20/07/2008 21:10:00

Nice one OPJ,

Glad to see you have it sorted, the zero clearance inserts are VERY helpful, but of course, if you want to make compound cuts you have to re-install the original.

Regards,

Rich.

BTW, when checking my fence for squareness, I lay a piece of perspex on the table, this lifts the square away from the teeth and lets the blade of the square rest on the internal side of the teeth and onto the main body of the blade.

19/07/2008 22:18:00

I don't mean to be rude, OPJ, But have you checked that the fence is square to the blade? all machines need "FETTLING" that is to say, adjusting, regardless of the make and cost, I only have a cheapo from B&Q, but once fettled, it cuts beautiful mitres, I also installed a zero clearance insert so it is much easier to see the cut line,(I don't trust the laser) try a 45 cut in a piece of timber and then put both ends together, if you don't have a 90 angle, then the fence is out.

Regards,

Rich.

Thread: Minimum Table Saw Sepcs for Stack Dado Set
20/05/2008 20:53:00
Mike Garnham wrote (see)

Baz,

where else would you use one other than on a table saw?

My dad had one which, I think, may have been home-made.

Mike 

Hi Mike, I've seen Norm use one on his Radial arm saw.

regards,

Rich.

Thread: Chisels V. Health & Safety
23/04/2008 22:51:00

I appreciate what you say Mike and agree that the fishermen know far more than I do, but was the little lad given a choice?

Rich.

23/04/2008 22:24:00

Like I said chaps, it's not the tools but the users, for those sitations described above, I have no sympathy, there's a pic in the Express today of a father with his son sat in a pool on the very lip of Victoria falls, or should I say fools, UNBELIEVABLE, some people don't deserve kids.

regards,

Rich.

Thread: to shave or 2 sand
23/04/2008 19:39:00

Just a quickie whilst I am reading this thread, anyone please, I notice an Icon that says "ignore member" why would I want to do that? that's why I joined the forum to interact with other members,

regards,

Rich.

Thread: Chisels V. Health & Safety
23/04/2008 19:30:00

If the HSE could sort out the definition of an "accident" then we would'nt need them anymore, if we paid attention to EVERYTHING they recommend we'd get nothing done, as is the norm nowadays, the agenda is being pushed by company lawyers and a fear of compensation culture, for goodness sake, the public liability insurance a self employed chap has to take out now is frightening, thank fully I'm on the cards now, just like guns, tools are not dangerous but the user MAY be.

regards,

Rich.

Thread: Magic gripper,(my version) 1974
17/04/2008 21:14:00

They are called shooting blocks, you can make them yourself for pennies, well I did anyway, and they held my doors rigidly enough when I was working on them before hanging them.

Regards,

Rich.

Thread: When your not there
16/04/2008 22:22:00

Like I said george, all this chat can make a man thirsty, I only drink twice a week, once for three days and the other for four.

Regards,

Rich.

14/04/2008 23:24:00

Baz, I have to get my wife to take a fresh photo every twenty minutes,, but I'm not complaining, anyway, all this chat can make a man thirsty,

Rich.

14/04/2008 22:16:00

My wife calls me treasure, only because people keep asking her where she dug me up from!

Rich.

14/04/2008 21:15:00

I go into a room and think, now what did I come in here for, halfway up the stairs it's am I going up or was I coming down, and now it's even got to, am I getting in the bath or getting out, now where was I??????

REGARDS,ER, UM, oh yes, Rich.

13/04/2008 21:12:00

I put it down to the spiders, their so big they've got jockey's on their backs, but to be fair, they do wear slippers,

Rich.

Thread: Setting up shop ~ part 1
23/02/2008 19:59:00

Hi lads, thanks for the comments and input, the lathe I intend to buy is the Axminster SIEGC2 Mini-lathe, current price is £316.00, if any of you know of a similar one and cheaper I'd be much  obliged for the info.

regards,

Rich.

21/02/2008 23:47:00

Mike, isn't it ironic that my next purchase, (probably from Axminster) will be a metal working lathe, ah well, such is life.

regards,

Rich.

21/02/2008 19:59:00

Hi Mike, I'm 54, I v'e worked in metal all my life, never laid a brick or made a shelf and then I discovered nyw, well I was bitten, so I HAD to have a workshop, the quickest way, and within budget, was to buy a flat pack h/d workshop, when it was erected there was an 8ft gap between it and the back of my old 8x4 brick workshop, so I built an "infill" and increased the lenght of the new one to 20x8.

having said all that, if I were to do it again I would'nt hesitate to build it myself now that I have the confidence if not the time.

regards,

Rich.

Thread: Bandsaw advice please
17/02/2008 00:03:00

Hi Baz, Iv'e had my BS300X for 2 years now, purchased it from DM TOOLS, mine came with a free wheel kit, 3 spare blades and most importantly a dvd hosted by Alan Holtham, which took you through every step of bandsawing, from setting up to using it, if you didn't get a dvd I think you should contact Record and demand one,

regards,

Rich.

Thread: I need wood!!!
25/01/2008 21:49:00

Hi Wes, I live in Reading, and I can recommend ARNOLD LAVER on the Basingstoke road in Reading, they deal in hard/soft/ exotic woods, you can choose your own, don't go on a saturday morning there's only 2 yard staff and you wait ages, they are alittle above average on prices but the timber is good and well laid out for inspection, I don't know if they provide a cutting service, I prefer to buy oversize and dimension myself. hth.

regards, Rich.

Thread: which router?
30/11/2007 19:12:00

Hi Phil, I took myself down to my local Aldi store here in Reading and bought 2 of their 1/2 inch routers for £25.oo each (box of cutters included), they are very robust, have a fine height adjuster facility, decent fence, and are comfortable to use, also have variable speed facility, even if I only get a years work out of them what a bargain.

Regards Rich.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact