By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Kinch

Here is a list of all the postings John Kinch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Woodex 08
02/10/2008 16:24:00
The Winter Woodex Show is on this weekend and I'm planning to go on Saturday, I hope it will be worth while, it's a 2 hour drive from Romford.   John Kinch.
Thread: Can any one help
26/09/2008 18:50:00
Thanks Mark, I didn't know how to get the correct page in the link.     John Kinch.
Thread: Have you cleaned your lathe lately?
24/09/2008 20:17:00
Hi, I started to clean my lathe and found the headstock centre and tailstock centres were not properly in line. i eventually stipped the whole lathe down and re-assembled it checking for squareness and alignment as I rebuilt it. Now it is correctly aligned. But it took most of the day to do,but well worth it.    John kinch.
Thread: Can any one help
24/09/2008 18:54:00
oops, www.rutlands.co.uk
24/09/2008 18:52:00
roger, try this www.rutlnds.co.uk  I'm not sure if the link is ok, being a novice with computers.   John kinch.
23/09/2008 19:05:00
Hi  Roger, Have you looked in the Rutlands catalogue? They sell bandsaw tires 12" for £13.95 and 14" for the same price. Page 193 item 4. Best of luck,    John kinch.
Thread: RAGE 185mm Multipurpose Circular Saw
17/09/2008 18:53:00
Hi, Have you checked the motor cover where the 100mm pipe connects to it, on my extractor there is a grille detail to prevent extra large lumps entering the machine, I found mine was choking up at this point and I kept clearing it by pulling off the hose and removing the blockage by hand. maybe you could open up the grille by cutting some of the bars, but be careful not to open it up too much.              john kinch.
Thread: damatomachine
15/09/2008 20:12:00
Hi,  Yes I bought a multifunction machine, a lathe with copying attachment, and an extractor. The lathe and extractor are fine, but the multi function machine is a bit heath robinson. I still sometimes have problems setting up saw table accurately.But the planer thicknesser function is good and gives a good finish.Because I have two routers I have not really needed to use the mortiser yet and the moulder look too scarey to use. Personally I would look elswhere for a new machine. Best of luck,      J.kinch.
Thread: Segmented Vase no. 1
01/09/2008 21:55:00
Ralph   Congratulations on producing such a masterpiece of workmanship.Please give us the full rundown on how to glu-up the blocks to produce such a superb bowl.    John Kinch.
Thread: Universal or separate
01/09/2008 21:46:00
Thanks for your reply Bill,my spindle moulder and slotter are fixed to the end of the planer spindle, ie. horizontal. The moulder block is 50mm.Dia. and uses 40mm. cutter blades.    John Kinch.
01/09/2008 20:07:00
Bill  I agree with you on setting up each operation on a multi-function machine. Is your spindle moulder horizontal or vertical? Mine is horizontal and being an amatuer, I'm not too confident on how to set the moulder up. Maybe someone can advise me on using a horizontal spindle moulder/mortiser or Ben could cover it in the Woodworker magazine for all to read.    john kinch. 
Thread: SNIPE
24/08/2008 18:09:00
Ged,  Check the height of output table, it must be same as top of cutter blades. this subject has been dealt with in Good woodworking magazine and on this sight fairly recently.    John.
Thread: Glue film
21/08/2008 20:46:00
GUEFILM IS ALSO AVAILABLE FROM SL HARDWOODS LTD. A very useful sight for woodwork supplies.  J. kinch.
Thread: Musical Instruments
07/08/2008 19:20:00

You might also want to look in the Axminster catalogue where they have a book on guitar making.            

J.kinch.

Thread: ProtecTool Wax
13/06/2008 20:15:00

Lads, Surely whether or not a wax or silicone is used as an aid to easier sliding on tools, the work piece must surely be sanded finely before the final finish is applied? Residues left after machining will be sanded off.

J.Kinch.

Thread: DSCN06470001.JPG
20/05/2008 21:49:00

Thanks Sparky we can always rely on you to make us laugh eith your witty remarks.

John

Thread: How do you rate your lathe
20/05/2008 21:07:00

I recently bought my lathe from Damatomacchine in Italy. The headstock shaft is 1"x8TPI. I have had a quick dabble with the copying device but will really get down to some proper turning later on this year, as I am making three grandmother clocks for my kids and each clock has four spinles around the pediment. But at the moment I'm playing with my multifunction Discovery 260/7 planing and thicknessing 6x10' lengths 10" wide mahogony down to correct sizes. Pediment details come later.

John

Thread: DSCN06470001.JPG
20/05/2008 20:44:00

Thanks for your comments lads,but this was a cheap job for my brother and I wanted to put flashing above but he wanted only a mastic filler in the gap,so we came to a compromise with the morter filler. He has since painted over the tiles and the morter with red brick paint to match the house tiles. Yes there is roofing felt under the tiles and the overlap of second course of tiles is nearly two inches.

John

Thread: Setting up shop ~ part 2
15/05/2008 19:19:00

John, I bought my disco 260/7 direct from Italy and it cost 1,166.00 euros.Shipping to my door cost 92.00 euros.There were no other charges,like import duty etc.It's a solid machine with cast iron tables.I'm using mine at the moment to plane up 6 1" solid mahogany boards 10" wide, 10ft. long. Because of the weight I have marked them close to size and cut the length down.Width is max. possible on this machine 101/4" .If You want to see the machine and have a try let me know.

John kinch

Thread: Computer drawing
12/03/2008 20:21:00
I Have just downloaded sketchup 6 and within a few minutes of playing with it I have decided to get to know it better and use it to sketch things I plan to make in the workshop as well as using my faithful old sketch-pad,thanks for leading me to it,it's a great tool.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact