By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Kinch

Here is a list of all the postings John Kinch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What's a "thread i.d."?
10/12/2009 14:33:22
As an engineer I understood a thread id as the intenal diameter of the thread which would normally be measured as the internal diameter of the nut. The od of a thread is the otside diameter mesurement of the screw. Hope this throws some light on the problem.
                          John Kinch.
Thread: Article Requests
15/11/2009 17:07:26
Ben,  I would like to see a "top ten slide mitre saw 250mm." comparisontest.
             Thanks, John K.
Thread: Spindle moulder safety
15/11/2009 17:03:35
OPJ, Yes they sent a manual but as usual with foreign countries they are not very comprehensive.  I'm ok with the morticer, I have also got a Record bench morticer, it's the moulder I could use help with. The table for this function seems a bit narrow and will be difficult to use usual featherboards etc, and you are working at right angles to normal moulders.

John Kinch.
15/11/2009 09:40:36
On the subject of spindle moulders, I have a multi-function machine from Dammatomacchine in Italy where the spindle of the planer projects over the bed and is used with a moulding head and a small table mounted at the side of the planer body. The moulder is running verticlly instead of horizontally as in most machines. Are there any books on using a set-up like this and is it safe? The overhanging spindle can also be used as a morticer, using the screw-on collet and drill type bits provided.
 John Kinch.
Thread: Mahogany & Oak trinket box
12/11/2009 17:32:45
Hi marc, I like it very much, it's simple but artistic, well done.

John Kinch.
Thread: Good Woodworking magazine
11/11/2009 18:59:15
Marc, Thanks for clearing that up. I still look forward to a group test of mitring machines and I have just found out that Metabo have just released some new machines.
 John K.
10/11/2009 21:03:59
Marc, my mag says "don't miss our huge mitre saws group test! What will Andy Kings final verdict be?"
  JohnK.
10/11/2009 19:51:29
In GW 220 next issue was to include  agroup test of mitre saws, and I am about to buy a better one than my present one, so I was waiting for issue 221 to pop through my door before lashing out on my new saw. But when the magazine arrived there was no article or even a mention to say maybe it will be in next months mag. I am very dissappointed.

John Kinch.
Thread: Triangular Pyramid
06/11/2009 21:23:45
Oddjob I did as you said so I hope this works.

Not sure if you will be able to see it properly. John Kinch
05/11/2009 21:59:59
Oddjob I think I have worked out an answer to your problem and have made a sketch but cannot upload it to the site from my pictures folder where I got it from my scanner. \can you help please?
  John Kinch.
Thread: Albums
28/10/2009 16:24:19
Mark,  something seems to be wrong in the albums gallery that requires you attention. Overlaps and blanks have ocurred.

John K. 
Thread: Squaring sawn timber
12/10/2009 18:17:55
Andrew, A way to cut a long straight edge on your boards is to nail or screw a false side to the board which you know is true and overhangs tthe waney edge so you can then use this true edge against your rip fence and saw the other edge of your board straight then remove the false edge and saw your board parallel to its other edge.
    John Kinch.
Thread: Clocks.
08/10/2009 18:23:26
Hi Al, those questions were asked on a previous post by Alan lappin. Basic timber was American mahogany and some parts were made from my old mahogany conservatory reclamation. Mechanisms etc. were obtained from Martin H. Dunn where I found the service was excellent..
  John Kinch.
07/10/2009 18:43:55
Third and last clock finally finished, see album. Has been about 20 months working as and when in the mood, including building workshop 20ft x 9ft. installing machinery from Damatomacchine in Italy, wiring the workshop etc. to finishing the clocks.

John Kinch.
Thread: Fence upgrade
23/09/2009 21:10:27
Yes, you are right  marc, well spotted, must come with experience.

John Kinch.
22/09/2009 18:51:45
In case anyone is thinking of upgrading their 10 inch table saw fence which I've just done I have uploaded a few pics to my album.
   I used the Axminster fence which was just the right size for the job. Fixing to the table top required drilling two holes through the front of the table as far apart as possible and fixing the brackets with m6 screws. Tape rules are stuck in the recess and job is finished. This is a super upgrade and only cost £56.00
    John Kinch
Thread: Sept 21st High Street Bargain Hunter
22/09/2009 14:37:47
 Hi, Ralph  and  Mark,  I bought the rutland  scroll chuck earlier this year for just under £100 about a week or so later they cut the price to £69.00. I always seem to be unlucky like that when buying.  But the chuck is very good. Excellent quality for the price. I had a slight problem with a piece of swarf trapped in the back  of the jaws but was easily removed by removing the jaws and cleaning and re-greasing .

John Kinch.
Thread: Newsletters
17/09/2009 17:54:07
Ben, I received my news letter a couple of days ago, thanks.

John Kinch
Thread: John`s clock
17/09/2009 17:15:27
Hi Alan,   The timber is a south american mahogany I bought from ebay. The plans I had from about 25 years ago when I built my first one. I bought the plans from Hobby's. but they are still around and various suppliers have them. The design is called Cambridge on the plans is a reference No.1341 Craft Patterns. by A. Neely Hall. hope this helps.  
    John Kinch.
Thread: Router table
16/09/2009 15:45:34
Hi , Blondy, since routing tapes into surface I have had no problems yet, but if you want to use steel rules go ahead they will last longer provided they are well stuck down on the table. I agree the legs look a bit thin, but provided you assemble them correctly they firm up. Adding the wooden base onthe cross members increases their strength as well. Good luck with it.
      John Kinch.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact