By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Kinch

Here is a list of all the postings John Kinch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Router Boss Joints
14/10/2010 16:12:16
Very nice, but at £659. I don,t  think many people on this sight will be rushing out to buy one. 
  regards john k.
Thread: problem with motor.
18/09/2010 18:14:07
Hi, sorry it has taken a while to answer but I am in the throws of renewing the kitchen.
 Sarky, thanks for that address, but I have already tried it,thanks
 Dennis, Iwent straight out and tried what you said using apiece of wood to try to spin the motor, but that didn't work, thanks.
 OPJ, I looked at maplins sight but they only seemed to cater for the pcb components but nothing large enough for my motor, thanks.
   I have had a peek inside the starter box and found 3 20Amp fuses and checked them for continuity with my avometer, but they were not open circuit. This box contains loads of connectors and wiring, most unusual for a simple motor link up.
 I think I may have to phone for an electrical engineer to check it out for me, I don't want to do any more damage in case it is only a trip switch I can't find, or haven't found as yet. I think I will have another look in case I missed something before.  

John K.
16/09/2010 18:39:17
Hi, all,   The motor on my multifunction machine packed up due to trapped thin off-cuts. I went to start it up and it made some unusual noises and cut out. When I was trying to troubleshoot it I found one of the two starter capacitors was very hot whilst the other was normal. Could this be the reason it won't start now, although it hums when switch on but won't turn.
    I checked out the internet for a replacement capacitor but had to buy 1000 minimum from China, nobody in this country sells them. The capacitor is a CD60 300mf 50/60Hz 3.75 ins long and 2ins diameter.
    Can anyone help with my problem please.

John K.
Thread: Norm's Back
16/07/2010 14:34:59
Sam, I have looked for it in the magazines but i don't think Virgin show it. It is the only reason I stayed with Sky. Sky broadband is too fragile and keeps dropping out, so I was thinking of going over to Virgin. With fibre optic cables the signal is far stronger.

John.
Thread: Hollowing
12/07/2010 18:20:07
Hi, all thanks for your advice, I think I will buy this tool as a starter it sounds to be ok. Once I get into deeper hollowing or more complex sections a different type of tool will have to be purchased.
  john.
11/07/2010 21:16:12
I was thinking of buying this tool from Axminster. I have not yet tried hollowing but would like to start. Any help or advice would be useful. Thanks.  john kinch
11/07/2010 21:12:19
Hi, all Has anyone used this hollowing tool from Henry Taylor (HS187)

Thread: Replacement Bandsaw Fence
13/06/2010 14:13:29
Julian, I recently replaced my 10inch table saw fence with one I bought from axminster tools. They do 2 sizes. It will depend on the table size. I am well pleased with mine, cost about £60.

John.
Thread: Album pop-up
23/05/2010 15:34:59
I still see it every time I log on and it obscures most of the home page. To get away from it I have to go to forum then go back to home page and it stays off.

Johnkinch.
Thread: Bookcase design - help needed
18/05/2010 18:34:50
Hi Lizzie,   A common practice when making bookshelves is to fix a strip under the front and/or backof each shelf to add extra support rather than use thicker material for the shelves themselves. It can improve the design but don't make them too deep and restrict the opening between shelves.

john.k.
Thread: Record Drill Stand DS19
18/05/2010 16:05:17
Just checked out record sight, Maxi deal is shown as £1999.95

john kinch
Thread: Iceland
26/04/2010 11:30:39
Marc  Thanks for the welcome home. It seems like the workshop may have to wait a little bit longer. I need to replace 8 fence panels in the garden, a job I have been putting off for quite a while now.
                          My next woodwork job will be kitchen cabinets, making carcases and doors, in fact it will probably be a complete refit,money permitting!
           John kinch.
25/04/2010 10:08:01
Hi all  Home at last. Got standby seats on direct flight to Gatwick on Thursday (exactly one week  overstay), too busy reading latest Good woodworking and Practical woodworking mags to put message on sight. Can't wait to get into the workshop and make something. Regards John Kinch.
20/04/2010 14:28:43
Richard,  You are right, our whole family are here and my 9 year old grandson is missing school as are some of his mates and even his class teacher is stranded abroad. We are just a few and we are still not sure yet if our flight booked for Saturday will fly us home or be cancelled yet again.

Regards johnkinch.

Edited By sparky on 20/04/2010 18:07:31

19/04/2010 02:33:44
 Richard and Marc, thanks for your sympathy but the insurance companies have already found their getout by declaring it as an act of God and they are not liable for it. But we are booked onto a flight on Saturday from here in Atlanta to Detroit to Amsterdam to Heathrow, arriving Sunday 26th.
   John kinch.
18/04/2010 20:00:09
Hi all, I'm one of the unlucky people stuck overseas due to the volcanic ash.
             My family were on holiday in a villa in florida for two weeks and were due to fly back home Thursday but flight was cancelled,rebooked to fly via Amsterdam and find ferry or train to UK but that was cancelled.
              We got as far as Atlanta (USA) and are trapped in a hotel paying for rooms on a daily basis waiting to get any flight back to UK our cases are still at the airport lost in baggage reclaims. Having to buy new clothes until cases are found. Costs are mounting daily and money is quickly running out. We are a family of nine, so you can imagine the costs.
              We are all hoping the government step in to repatriate all of us and the thousands of others caught up inthis disaster.

John kinch.
Thread: Introduction - recent new member.
08/03/2010 15:48:53
Marc, I thought this was a woodworking sight not a fishing site?

John.
Thread: Table saw blade
03/03/2010 16:35:13
Steve,  I use 250 in place of 254 but it may be dicy using 260. The periferal speed would be greater with 260 and could cause safety problems.

Regards, john.

Thread: Issue 225
23/02/2010 14:17:14
Marc, Thanks for your help, it does seem strange but the grey envelope had no tears or breaks in it so it never fell out in the post and the staples were clamped tight in the centre pages ie. 50 and 51

John.
23/02/2010 10:15:54
Marc  It said that in the magazine, but it definitely wasn't there. I then checked every page before posting on this sight, but it isn't inthe mag. at all.

John.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact