By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Kinch

Here is a list of all the postings John Kinch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Oak Plonker
26/07/2011 21:00:48
Bill, I've often wondered what a plonker really looked like, thanks.

John K.
Thread: Band saw
26/07/2011 20:57:42
simply google ebw2523 manual and download from Ryobi sight.

John K.
Thread: model t truck
26/07/2011 20:47:54
Hi Richard, I bought the wheels for this truck but am just about to make the wheels for the big dumper truck in progress.

John K.
22/07/2011 19:21:29
Derek, I've added work in progress for dumper truck. I read in one post about showing materials from which finished items are made, so I have included the blank timbers obtained to make this truck.

John K
21/07/2011 17:55:53
Derek, I got the catalogue at the Ally Pally. It's called Woodworks. Their websight is www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk

John K.
19/07/2011 18:04:16
Thanks guys, it's easy if you buy the plans. My next one is well on the way, it's one of those extremely large mining tipper trucks, approx. 18" long.

John k.
Thread: tv problem
29/05/2011 17:42:06
Can anyone watch part 7 of Peter Dunsmores veneering series?
if I go to TV clickon part 7 I get part 6. If I click on the digit 7 I get an invitation to an exhibition. Is it just my computer or a glitch on the sight?

John kinch.
Thread: Robert Sorby Tool post
17/04/2011 15:09:28
Dennis, I left the post with my freind so can't measure.

Julian, I phoned Robert Sorby on Friday but they shut at 1o'clock.
15/04/2011 20:35:09
Has anybody got one of these tool posts? I am trying to find out what thread is used for mounting the cross-bars. I bought a post at the woodworking exhibition but it was too short for my lathe and a freind has offered to make one for me but needs to know the thread size for screwing on the tool rests.

John K.
Thread: Get Woodworking Live 2011
09/03/2011 16:31:01
I will be going to the show on Friday with a freind and am hoping there are a few more seats around as I have a spur on my heel which bears on the tendon and prevents me from walking or standing for long periods. Usually at these shows seats are only found near the eating area. I would be most grateful if more seats could be provided,
regards John K.
Thread: how to dry wood,
05/03/2011 17:25:01
I have sealed the log and written the date and species on the end and tucked it away in the workshop for future use. But nobody has mentioned how it turns or what it's like to turn. I do have a lathe and can wait until it's ready, thanks.

John K.
04/03/2011 18:32:20
Hi all, I was in the park today and they were felling some holly trees and I obtained a piece about 6" dia. x 10" long. Has anyone had experience of turning holly? and is it best to turn it wet or dry it first? The ends looked very damp possibly too wet to turn.

Regards john k.
Thread: wood mouldings for a longcase clock
28/02/2011 15:15:38
Hi roy, I have made several grandmother clocks with arched tops and what Simon said is the way to go. Hand routing this shape is not really practical or safe. You must make the arch shape longer than required and cut it to size later. Also you need to cut the S shape onthe band saw after all the detail shaping is finished. Then use a ply jig trimmed and shaped,sanded smooth to guide the bearing of the router bit around the shape. See clock picks in my album.
John k.
Thread: segmented vase
26/01/2011 17:06:18
Hi, Dennis, thanks for your reply, will check pm.
John K.
26/01/2011 15:05:27
Dennis, these are marvellous, I'm just starting my first attempt. Made a sliding jig to give accurate and constant blocks on my smaller 10inch table saw. Now attempting to glue pieces together into flat rings to create layers. Pva glue slow and difficult to achieve good results, what glue do you use? Do you glue all segments in one go for each layer? Your latest vases seem thicker than mine, is there a minimum wall thickness to safely turn bowl?

regards John K.
Thread: Pillar Drills
15/01/2011 17:17:54
John, You should also look closely at the Ryobi. I bought one last year and it is great, with cross hair location and a really good depth set-up which is simple to use. The round table has rome around the edge for clamping things to it. It was highly recommended in a magazine so I took a closer look and bought it and am very satified with it.
                     John k.
Thread: practical woodworking mag
24/12/2010 13:29:10
At last I got my magazine in todays post. I had almost given up trying.
                                        J.Kinch
Ps. Happy christmas to one and all.
Thread: TIMBER WORKTOP OFFCUTS
01/12/2010 11:24:22
I recently bought some from my local B&Q store. The staff were very helpfull and cut me acouple of good pieces from some full length tops that were damaged stock.
  John k.
Thread: Quick response
30/11/2010 14:41:50
Hi, all
           Just wanted to tell people about the quick turn round on an order from Rexon Spares.
            I rang them yesterday to enquire about new thrust bearings for my old Rexon BS10 bandsaw. They still had them in stock and took my order. The parts arrived in the post this morning. That's what I call service, well done Rexon Spares I will definitely use them again and recommend them.

John k. 
Thread: pratical woodworking
11/11/2010 14:16:15
This issue of practical woodworking was my last free issue with my subscription, but for some reason it wasn't sent out. Now they tell me theyv'e run out but have ordered more and I will have to wait. I get the feeling I'm being given the run around. I can't wait to get my hands on after reading these comments.

John k.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact