By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Kinch

Here is a list of all the postings John Kinch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Design and draw software
30/10/2018 11:41:06

a program called sketchup woodworking is on utube with introduction videos to walk you through the learning proccess. put together by an american company. but makes it look very easy to use.

Thread: moving house
29/05/2016 09:09:10

Thanks Derek, got my extraction set up have used machines but nothing really exciting yet. Bought a T11 router and table insert so I can use the adjuster from above table, works excellent. Have made a couple of bird stand feeders and repaired a large garden sun shade.Replaced 6 internal doors. revamped an airing cupboard once the boiler was replaced and tank removed from cupboard. Insulated garage/workshop roof. But generally still settling into new bungalow.

Thread: Rogers Big Rig
26/05/2016 18:06:03

Hi. I would be interest in plans. Have made a few trucks in the past and found them to be very interesting, involving various aspects of woodwork machinig.

Thread: moving house
26/05/2016 18:02:02

moved house 2 years ago, but had problems. the removal people overloaded the shelf on one lorry and some of my tools came tumbling out onto the road and nearly seriusly injured one of them.

My new workshop needed lots of work doing so have been too busy to sign in on gw. I see some of the old faces are still here. havent yet got down to much woodwork yet but hoping to soon.

Thread: Sander problem
26/03/2013 13:47:59

I would check the motor brushes first, they could be wearing down and sticking in the slides.

j. Kinch

Thread: help with bookmatched table
19/01/2013 13:08:20

I sometimes store large flat items like this under my double bed which leaves the room clear for access

John k.

Thread: Chuck Advice
01/10/2012 19:16:32

I have one of the chucks from Dakota and the extra jaws, all work fine without any problems. John K.

Thread: veneering
29/11/2011 13:00:27
Hi, yes it is best to veneer first and allow for additional thickness when cutting dovetails.For sticking veneer to panels I found best method was to use double-sided sticky tape made for this purpose.It comes off a roll so you buy it by the metre. Cut out a piece slightly bigger than your panel,remove the backing sheet and stick it to the panel and iron it on (not too hot,use wool setting on domestic iron.). Trim to size with a sharp scalpel. Repeat on all faces to be veneered,then start assembly. Always keep apiece of the shiny release coat between the iron and the panels,it helps the iron to slide over the surface. After applying the iron follow it along with a piece of wood to press the veneer down and to cool it down or the veneer will want to lift off again.
Hope you can follow all that and good luck. Practise on a few scraps first.
John K.
Thread: Melamine Faced Chipboard
11/10/2011 12:58:20
I have often cut mfc on a cicular saw by sticking masking tape on melamine surface,marking the required line in pencil on the masking tape and cutting on the saw melamine face up. Give it a try on some scrap to see if satisfactory first.

John k.
Thread: what wood is this?
17/09/2011 17:43:47
There should be more than enough to make another grandmother clock, that'll be my fourth.
John K.
16/09/2011 18:27:28
Size will not be much of a problem Bill, I have 6 lengths 10ft long some are 8" wide and some 10" wide all 1" thick. Somehow they got delivered with other wood I ordered and they refused to have them back,shame.
John K.
16/09/2011 10:56:11
thanks for your confimation folks, I'm not decided yet what to make with it but all suggestions are welcome, thanks

John K.
15/09/2011 18:21:16
I have a few lengths of this timber but am not sure what it is. It's very hard and is difficult to machine without lumps spitting out on the planer. It looks very wavy but is flat. It's almost like 3D on the surface.

Some of the shots are after applying varnish as a test.

I think it might be a Maple, any ideas?

John K.
Thread: GW Magazine
08/09/2011 13:51:53
Darren, Have I missed out on this months good woodworking issue 245 or is it too soon to say? Having finally got last months issue just in time to enter the comp, I thought I would ask just as they are about to hit the shops.

John kinch.
19/08/2011 19:28:11
Darren, Have emailed My hobbystore they are already sorting, thanks.

John kinch.
16/08/2011 18:29:48
Hi all, am I the only one who has not yet received this months GWMagazine? I noticed last months issue never mentioned this months issue, either when it's coming out or what features will be inside.

John K.
Thread: What You doin
14/08/2011 17:14:15
Hi, Derek I've had a few days holiday on the south coast and since returning I have stripped and cleaned my 8" bench sander, which seemed to be running a bit slow lately. It was crammed full of fine sawdust. Now it runs like new, with new disc and new belt and tables etc all set up nice and square to disc.

John K.
Thread: Dumper truck
01/08/2011 18:12:17
Bill, These parts are not that small. this truck is 17.5" long by10" high and 9.5" wide. My planer will thicknes down to 6mm, which is the thickness of the dumper part and the re-inforcing strips. The fiddliest part was gluing the 1/8th inch hand rails.

John K.
31/07/2011 22:07:32
Hi Mailee, It took about 6 days on and off.

John K.
31/07/2011 18:45:51
My latest production, finished today.

John K.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact