By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Keith McCarthy

Here is a list of all the postings Keith McCarthy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Problems with getting Triton
30/06/2009 09:17:47
A word from Australia.  We're devastated by what has happened. but the rumour is that Bosch might purchase the rights to make Triton tools.  I'm sure someone will as they are well respected around the world.   Keith McCarthy
Thread: pyrography
22/05/2009 04:30:27
Does anyone know, is if safe to burn mdf, pyrography-wise, mdf, or would fumes, if any, be hazardous?  Please, no opinions, just knowledgle answers, as the consequences of doing the wrong thing here could be dire.
Keith McCarthy.
Thread: bits and peices
21/05/2009 00:38:34
Good work.  Here in New South Wales Australia, local councils have been running competitions called Waste to Art for items created from unwanted materials, and some really good items have been created as a result.  Suggest it to you local council to encourage reuse of materials.
Keith McCarthy.
Thread: mats
21/03/2009 10:31:35
I visit a big coal mining area several times a year, and the thought occured to me that used or offcuts of conveyor belting might make for a good workshop floor. Some of the conveyor belts in this area run for miles, and there are a number of companies servicing the belts.  I have been able to purchase a number of offcuts, a metre or two in length, as well as a longer length of used belt which I turned upside down so the good side is upwards, and put these in front of my bench and machines (router table, bandsaw etc).  Wow, great on your feet, especially if your workshop floor, like mine is concrete, non-slip, easily swept clean, and inexpensive.  And odds are, if you drop something, it will survive undamaged.  Highly recommended!
Keith McCarthy.
Thread: goodwoodworking replies
20/11/2008 07:08:00

There were a few obvious typos in that message.   Please forgive lousy typing.

Keith.

20/11/2008 07:05:00

Yes me too.  Following the article about constructing that boat on the cover earlier this year I sent them a lengthy email about related projects here in Australia when I live, including a large sailing ship currently under construction, but haven't received an acknowledgement yet let along thanks.

Keith McCarthy.

Thread: drill bit sharpening
20/11/2008 06:56:00

Any thoughts on sharpening drill bits, that is normal twist bits, not brad point bits.  I    invested in a Drill Doctor, which when used exactly as per the manual, flattens my bits, rather than sharpening them.

Keith McCarthy

Thread: Bandsaw Vs Tablesaw
25/10/2008 10:34:00
A bandsaw is more versatile.  You can do deep ripping, or (the other extreme) swap to a narrow blade, I've used right down to 1/16in, to made jigsaws from thin material, and everything in between.   The bandsaw is quieter, safer, what else do you need.  My bandsaw is a 16 inch one which gives me plenty of capacity.
Thread: goodwoodworking replies
20/11/2008 07:08:00

There were a few obvious typos in that message.   Please forgive lousy typing.

Keith.

20/11/2008 07:05:00

Yes me too.  Following the article about constructing that boat on the cover earlier this year I sent them a lengthy email about related projects here in Australia when I live, including a large sailing ship currently under construction, but haven't received an acknowledgement yet let along thanks.

Keith McCarthy.

Thread: drill bit sharpening
20/11/2008 06:56:00

Any thoughts on sharpening drill bits, that is normal twist bits, not brad point bits.  I    invested in a Drill Doctor, which when used exactly as per the manual, flattens my bits, rather than sharpening them.

Keith McCarthy

Thread: Bandsaw Vs Tablesaw
25/10/2008 10:34:00
A bandsaw is more versatile.  You can do deep ripping, or (the other extreme) swap to a narrow blade, I've used right down to 1/16in, to made jigsaws from thin material, and everything in between.   The bandsaw is quieter, safer, what else do you need.  My bandsaw is a 16 inch one which gives me plenty of capacity.
Thread: Orbit or Belt Sander Which One?
14/03/2008 07:19:00

Belt sanders can be pretty aggressive, and dig a trench quite readily if you're not careful.

Randon orbit sanders are much easier to control, and can remove a lot of material readily (using 40 or 60 grit paper) or create a beautifully even, scratch free surface if you progress carefully through the grits up to 150 or 200 or even finer.  Mine is a Bosch PEX400, which I think has just been superceded by a newer version.  Performance is excellent, dust collection good, and it won't break the bank.

Keith McCarthy (in Australia).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact