By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Barber

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Barber has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workbench
26/06/2019 11:19:00

Hi Zoe,

Yes Ironmongery Direct are good but can be expensive. I usually just collect brass hinges wherever I can find them, Hardware stores, DIY stores etc so I have quite a useful collection. Same with screws, always buy boxes of 200 or so, they are useful always to keep in stock. Screwfix are good and also cheap.

Brian

24/06/2019 22:23:47

Hi Zoe,

I have never had any problems with loose fitting screw on doors. The main thing is to use good quality brass hinges ( not the cheap brassed hinges) and good quality screws. Just make sure the correct size of pilot hole is used before fitting the screws, which should be really tight, no need to use any kind of thread lock in wood - usually this is only needed, sometimes, for metal nuts and bolts. My work bench suffers from plenty of violent vibration when in use but still no problem with loose fitting screws. Screws on kitchen doors can become loose since they are often made from chipboard which is not good at holding screws or nails.

Best wishes with your workbench construction, it would be nice to see a photo of it posted here,

Brian

21/05/2019 15:34:44

Hi John,

I built my own bench from scratch, have a look at my album New Workbench, gives some details of construction. I don’t use plans just build as I go along. Best thing about building to your own design is that you can make it to fit your available space and include features that you want. My main requirement was two front vices and a solid top that I could clamp on to all around the bench, also storage space. Best tip is to use solid wood (beech in my case, 40mm thick) kitchen worktops for the top of the bench. These are nice and flat and stay that way.

Brian

Thread: John Boddy Timber
30/03/2019 17:20:13

They closed down a few years ago. My understanding is that they were being bought out by another firm which subsequently went bust, so no more John Boddy, a great shame since they were a very good source of quality timber. I now go to Duffield timber merchants in Melmerby near Ripon, good for a range of timbers.

Brian

Thread: New to woodworking–need advice
03/02/2019 18:41:58

Hi Adam,

Well I was a beginner many years ago and it does take a long time to get to know what you need, I tend to buy anything and every that I fancy. Being serious the main thing is to become proficient in using and sharpening hand tools. The main tools you will need are good quality hand planes ( ideally Lie Nielsen or Clifton) and a good set of chisels ( Lie Nielsen are about the best you can get, although very expensive) and some hand saws. Yes power tools are very important, in order of preference I would suggest, Impact drill driver, Band Saw, Router, Table Saw, then Morticing machine.

At the cheaper end of the market you will of course need a variety of tools such as rulers, squares gauges etc.

Hope this helps

Brian

Thread: Woken up again
09/12/2018 19:10:32

Finished clockJewellery Box

Every now and the I get the urge to carry on with this woodwork game, to tell the truth it is a continuous process.

Anyway since it is Christmas i decided to make some presents for my daughters, both married. No 1 is going to get the clock and No 2 the Jewellery box, hope you like them.

Brian

Thread: Finishing Birch Plywood advice
22/03/2018 10:37:13

Yes white spirit or turpentine substitute is a paint thinner. I personally do not like water based paints or water based polyurethane since they tend to raise the grain and also do not give as good a finish as spirit based paints. As regards diluting water based polyurethane with water I would not know. Another problem with water based paints is that they dry very quickly and would drag on a cloth and ruin the finish.

Brian

21/03/2018 23:22:11

Hi Ravi,

I have developed my own method of finishing birch ply with polyurethane which works really well. First I dilute the polyurethane to at least 50/50 with white spirit and then brush on. When dry give a light sanding and do it all again at least once or twice until the grain looks reasonably filled. Then sand again lightly and apply a final dilute coat with a tightly folded cloth, not a brush. Finally apply a wax finish and polish. This really works but takes a little time.

Brian

Thread: Wedding present
06/11/2017 20:00:47

Console Table Complete

Been working on this for a while, it’s a wedding present for my daughter. I decided to make a Console table to my own design, as a useful present. It is constructed from Sycamore with a mahogany inlay on the top to give a little detail. All hand constructed even the dovetails for the drawers.

Hope you like it.

Brian

Thread: For Sale RecordRDX600i dust extractor
19/09/2017 20:06:48

Now sold

30/08/2017 20:56:31

Record Dust Extractor for Sale. This has been used for my planer thicknesses. Have decided to buy a new one so this now surplus to requirements. Would like only£30 for quick Sale. Best to collect from my location in Teesside since a little large for the letterbox.

Brian

dust extractor.jpg

Thread: For Sale De Walt 6212 Dovetail Jig
30/08/2017 20:47:25

dovetail jig.jpgHave attached photo of dovetail jig

Brian

29/08/2017 18:28:41

Sorry site is rockler.com not rocker.com

Brian

29/08/2017 17:42:05

I have an almost brand new De Walt Dovetail Jig for sale. Only used once since I prefer hand made dovetails. This is the same model as the 4212 Porter cable jig, see site rocker.com. This site also has the user manual and the jig retails for £160,

I am asking only £80 since I would like it to go to a new home with a happy woodworker like me. It will need collecting since quite heavy to post. My location is Teesside In the North East. Please contact me if interested.

Brian

Thread: Trend T11 router problem
20/01/2017 11:00:57

FIXED IT, with many thanks for your encouragement to get the screwdrivers out and brilliant technical support from Trend. A quick phone call revealed that a round magnet at the end of the armature and located in the middle of the speed control unit can move out of the way with vibration. Since my router is mounted upside down in a table the magnet moved down about 6mm under gravity and caused speed variation problems. A firm push back up fixed the problem - works fine now.

Many thanks

Brian

19/01/2017 22:43:10

Thanks for your comments. Yes I will now investigate the brushes, hopefully this is the cause.

Brian

19/01/2017 17:31:02

My Trend T11 router has suddenly started to speed up and slow down at a frequency of approx 2 to 3 seconds as if it were constantly firing up and trying to stop. It is 7 years old but is not in constant use. I use it about every 3 to 4 months on projects for a few hours at a time so should still be in good condition. I was wondering if it could be the brushes or would the symptoms be different. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Brian

Thread: Just in time
20/12/2016 17:57:12

Thank you, yes it is 1/12 scale and therefore suitable for standard furniture ( which I am not going to make).

Brian

19/12/2016 16:43:34

Well at last it is finished. I have been working on this project, a traditional Georgian style Dolls House, off and on in my usual part time manner for the past year. It is a Christmas present for my granddaughter, so just in time. I have made it to heirloom standards, so should last the tests of time. Constructed almost entirely from 9mm birch ply (used two 8 x 4ft boards). All constructed from scratch, windows etc and has led lighting. Thought you would like to see it.

Brian

Front view

Thread: Surf and Turf
15/04/2016 15:43:58

Really nice Derek. I like your style, kind of inspirational work. Can you tell me what you used to colour the piece.

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact