By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Charles Fellows

Here is a list of all the postings Charles Fellows has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: pens etc
14/03/2012 17:46:45

Continuation of Thanks Dennis, I pressed the wrong key!

Sadly as I were typing the previous entry my friend just died, I am just about to leave for my woodturners club Trent Valley in Kegworth Leicestershire.

Charles.

14/03/2012 17:40:43

Thanks Dennis,

14/03/2012 16:08:41

Hi,

I wish to discuss the the matter of Pen pricing, I have for some time been producing pens and lately donated them to the Cancer research charity, this is where my problem lies the charity shop has set the price at £5.00 per pen, but even at that few if any have sold.

Although I enjoy producing the pens and wish to help the charity I feel that they are grossly under valued bearing in mind that each pen kits with the Cancer Aware Ribbon clip costs me around £2.50.

My dear friend and fellow woodturner; who as I write this is in her last days on this earth so I hope that my efforts effective in fund raising.

So any advice will be greatfully received.

Regards Charles Fellows.

Thread: New Stuff from Jack !!!!
02/05/2011 20:43:18
hi Jack,
Have you tried working with "Corion" the stuff some kitchen worktops are made of? I was fortunate to have access to offcuts from a worktop maker.

I have turned many pens in various colours and patterns, they come up lovely sanding down to 1200 grit and using burnishing creamas the final polish.

In addition I have created other items by bonding the 12mm thick pieces together using thin superglue, example Ear ring tree, Soap dish, and currently working on surrounds for clock inserts.

Yours Charles "Chowie" Fellows
Thread: Spindle conversion insert.
11/09/2009 17:26:10
Hi George,
Thanks for you quick reply.
You are right I measured the female thred in the chuck not the spindle my mistake.
the actual spindle sizes are 24 & 25mm respectfully which still makes a difference of 1mm not a lot but makes the chucks incompatable with each other.

Regards Charles
11/09/2009 10:36:54
Dear All,
Can anyone help me? I have two lathes one is the machanical variable speed as marketed under many names, the second is a Belgium made Lannartfors SL320. which is no longer in production.
The problem is although they both have what appears to be 1" x 8 there is a one millimetre diffesence ie the first being 21mm and the second 22mm overall spindle thickness.
Question has anyone had this problem if so how was it resolved?
I have contacted Axminster and Hegner although helpful were not able to offer a solution.

Regards to all,

Charles Fellows.
Thread: Removing self adhesive glue from disk sander
22/09/2008 14:10:00

How about converting the disc to "Velcro" type backing, I have bought the required fabric from Axminster, the advantage is that the grades of the discs can changed far easier.

Regards Charles

Thread: Biscuits, not for tea!
12/07/2008 11:18:00

Oh Dear, It appears that I have opened a can of worms! I might be considered a sad person, but my original intentions were that as a warning to other people of a similar level of expertise as myself.

I have been a hobbiest woodworker for sometime, and perhaps drifted into being blase!

The main fact is that owing to the size of the workpiece it should have been clamped to a firm surface, as I now believe it was the "propelled piece of wood" that did the damage.

And yes I agree that all tools are safe if treated with care and respect, which in my case on this accasion I did not! RISK ASSESSMENT NOW COMES TO MIND.

Sighed Sad Charles.

10/07/2008 17:06:00

A fair chunk out of the base of my left index finger and skin abrasion to my thumb, I am not sure whether it was the blade of the propelling bit of wood that caused the damage;I can only assume that had it been the blade I could be a missing a finger! 

Ironically I had just read the biscuit article in this months Woodworker magazine.

10/07/2008 14:18:00

Yesterday 9th July

As I was plunging into the end grain of a 4" x  3" piece of oak which I thought were safely held against the fixed fence of my radial saw, the work piece jumped from my hand causing a severe injury to my index finger and thumb, rendering an enforced break from my workshop activities.

SO PLEASE DO WHAT I DID NOT DO - SECURE SMALLER WORK PIECES TO A FIRM SURFACE! 

Thread: Welcome to the turning section
09/12/2007 12:08:00

I have a lathe which is marketed under various names i.e. Fox, Draper. amongst others; it is the one whith the variable speed control, and the heavy cast iron bed.I recently tried to replace the "Multistar" chuck with a more convenient chuck which uses a "T" bar wrench tool.

On trying the first chuck it was not running true as was the replacement, but the machine ran true when a 150 mm faceplate was fitted. in the event both chucks were returned.

I must admit that the machine is quite old but nether the less I have turned some decent work on it.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thread: Removing self adhesive glue from disk sander
22/09/2008 14:10:00

How about converting the disc to "Velcro" type backing, I have bought the required fabric from Axminster, the advantage is that the grades of the discs can changed far easier.

Regards Charles

Thread: Biscuits, not for tea!
12/07/2008 11:18:00

Oh Dear, It appears that I have opened a can of worms! I might be considered a sad person, but my original intentions were that as a warning to other people of a similar level of expertise as myself.

I have been a hobbiest woodworker for sometime, and perhaps drifted into being blase!

The main fact is that owing to the size of the workpiece it should have been clamped to a firm surface, as I now believe it was the "propelled piece of wood" that did the damage.

And yes I agree that all tools are safe if treated with care and respect, which in my case on this accasion I did not! RISK ASSESSMENT NOW COMES TO MIND.

Sighed Sad Charles.

10/07/2008 17:06:00

A fair chunk out of the base of my left index finger and skin abrasion to my thumb, I am not sure whether it was the blade of the propelling bit of wood that caused the damage;I can only assume that had it been the blade I could be a missing a finger! 

Ironically I had just read the biscuit article in this months Woodworker magazine.

10/07/2008 14:18:00

Yesterday 9th July

As I was plunging into the end grain of a 4" x  3" piece of oak which I thought were safely held against the fixed fence of my radial saw, the work piece jumped from my hand causing a severe injury to my index finger and thumb, rendering an enforced break from my workshop activities.

SO PLEASE DO WHAT I DID NOT DO - SECURE SMALLER WORK PIECES TO A FIRM SURFACE! 

Thread: "T" Bar
14/12/2007 10:15:00

Dear All,

Could someone tell me where to purchase the "T" bar section as used in the router table project shown in the latest Woodworker magazine, as it is my intention to contruct one also.

Thanks,

Charles.

Thread: Welcome to the turning section
09/12/2007 12:08:00

I have a lathe which is marketed under various names i.e. Fox, Draper. amongst others; it is the one whith the variable speed control, and the heavy cast iron bed.I recently tried to replace the "Multistar" chuck with a more convenient chuck which uses a "T" bar wrench tool.

On trying the first chuck it was not running true as was the replacement, but the machine ran true when a 150 mm faceplate was fitted. in the event both chucks were returned.

I must admit that the machine is quite old but nether the less I have turned some decent work on it.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thread: SIP Bobbin Sander
03/12/2007 17:19:00

I have been the owner of a bobbin sander which although it carried a SIP name the same item is also marketed many others, the problem I am having is that after only a very short period of use the worm wheel assembly which operates the reciprocating action fails, I am now on the third repair.

Has any one else had this problem? I also apprecaite that these items and many others are "manifactured" in China or similar where quantity and price takes precidence over quality;  to the demise of British manifacture!

Thread: Creative Woodturner
30/10/2007 11:19:00

As a new member I hope that this page is the correct forum for my concern.

I purchased a SIP branded bobbin sander from QVC shopping chanel, although this item is also marketed under other suppliers names, this item has failed on three accasions after very little use on each. The problem is with the worm and worm wheel arrangement which controls the reciprocating action of the machine.

It would be interesting to know if other people have had the same problems, my machine is currently with SIP which will be at my expense.

As a postscript I appreciate that many items are now manifactured in China or similar and that British or european sourced equipment would be more expensive if available.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact