By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Lappin

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Lappin has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Insurance for workshops
23/10/2009 23:06:29
I'm with Nationwide
When i renewed two years ago i told them about my work shop and asked if there was any extra to pay, there reply was that providing i wasn't charging a fee for my work then there was no charge .
I'm still concerned that should i need to claim there would be a reason not to pay or pay part of it only
Alan
Thread: ITS SUICIDE TONIGHT
09/10/2009 21:02:45
Hi ged
My suggestion would be to put the dados on the other side and fit as normal, and tell your client if he needs an extension to the book case the rebates are in place ready to go.
If that fails yes i do have a shot gun you can use, hope this helps
Alan
Thread: Furniture Grade Pine
08/10/2009 22:27:57
Thanks Andy.
 With the help of everyone i sure i know what to look for as tomorrow I'm off to the wood yard to buy the timber, i rang them today and they told me they had scandinavian pine.
When its finished I'll try to get some photos on the site.
Thanks again everyone.
Alan
03/10/2009 22:07:24
Thanks for your advice guys.
I've learned a lot in a few words.
I'll chose my timber this week and get it delivered asap.
Cedric very nice piece, the feet did you buy them or turn them yourself also the finish, great shine wax,varnish?
I'm going to make the boards myself and see how i go i'll buy the planks in at 150mm wide so i may have to cut them down turn one round and glue together. The design is based on shaker so the panels will have to be planed down to approx 14mm thick do you think i might have a twisting problem
Thanks again
Alan
Thread: Boxing In A Boiler
03/10/2009 21:07:49
Hi Jed welcome to the forum i think the item you are looking for is in good woodworking issue 211 in house and garden by Phiil Davy called boiler cupboard
Thread: Christmas list?
03/10/2009 20:42:34
I put up stockings up every year but nothing appears in it  that on my wish list,but a nice veritas shoulder  plan would be nice
Thread: Furniture Grade Pine
29/09/2009 21:22:49
HI Al
Thanks for coming back to me.
I was under the impression that redwoods come in different hardness some more suited for furniture than others.
I use a local wood merchant that sells softwood only for diy jobs and trial peaces for the dovetail gig etc.
What concerns me is if i ask for redwood they may sell me the best they have, but with my inexperience i wont know weather it is suited for furniture or not.
Hope you can help
Alan
28/09/2009 13:34:38
A relative has asked me to make a computer desk out of pine, the only job i have ever made from pine was a few years ago from pre manufactured boards from a local diy store it was a bit of a disaster as there were holes from knots missing and tear out from planing since then i have only used hard woods mainly oak.. So could someone tell me the type of pine to ask for ie Douglas fir, Red wood etc, i have heard of un sorted timber whatever that means.
Im sure somebody can help thanks.

Alan
Thread: Phone Sales
21/09/2009 15:34:19
Hi Mike

I had the phone call early last week, the offer was a years subscription for a £1.00 per copy.

I told him to put it in writing and send it to me, nothing yet

Alan
Thread: Belt sander
19/09/2009 22:34:58
Hi Marc

Hit the save button on profile, hope its worked

And no computers arnt fun someone keeps hiding the letters on the keyboard

Thanks Alan

19/09/2009 19:47:37
Hi Marc

Thanks for getting back to me.
computers are not my thing but i will take some photos and get my computer guy at work to put them on the site and perhaps someone might  recognize it.

in the meantime i've filled in my profile.
thanks again Alan.

Thread: John`s clock
17/09/2009 14:20:31
John its a beautiful clock something to be proud of, could you tell me the timber you made it from and weather you bought the plans or designed it yourself, its one of my many future projects well done
Thread: Belt sander
17/09/2009 11:27:17
Hi   can anyone help i have recently bought a second hand 415 volt paramax belt sander the model no is p 3300 i think .
its stamped on an aluminium plate and is hard to read but it did not come with a hand book we have tried the suppler but were un successful  if any one can help with a copy i would appreciate it regards alan
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact