By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Meredith

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Meredith has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which planer thicknesser
25/04/2010 19:26:52
Hi Bojit, I have the new HMS 2600 for about 2 years. It is very accurate and powerfull, I would recommend it completely  any questions just ask!
Alan
Thread: Alan's Step Stool
19/01/2010 16:41:40
Thanks OPJ
      I got a few pictures off the old website and estimated from them, the origional design was by Bob Chapman. It was a picture of his stool i had
  Alan
Thread: Alan's rocking chair
18/01/2010 13:53:48
www.rockingchairs.net
www.haltaylor.com
  These are Hals websites just follow the links. Expensive but totally worth every penny.
Alan Meredith.
Thread: Alan's Chair
18/01/2010 13:46:49
It was a little over €150 depending on the exchange rate for plans and unlimited email or phone assistance and you can sell 1 Million of them if you want, Hal has no problem with that . the timber cost €310
Thread: Alan's Step Stool
18/01/2010 13:42:40
Richard
  I think your right, its a few years since i made it, they were the firts things id ever turned and I was 14/15 years old. I got the design from a picture that was on the old getwoodworkingwebsite in about 2005. I estimated everything from the photo and since it was my first real piece of furniture the proportions are a little off, its a piece that close to my heart all the same.
  Alan

Thread: Alan's rocking chair
17/01/2010 23:54:02
Hi Andrew, I take photos of everything I make and the process, however for this one I did not take so many to save time and let me concentrate. I will however upload what I have.
Thanks Alan
p.s everyone is an ameteur the plans I used were quite comprehensive
Thread: Alan's Chair
17/01/2010 23:43:52
Thanks for all the comments, yes it is walnut and i did use hal taylors plans sparky, he has been developing the design since I started walking, the plans were a joy to use.
Alan
17/01/2010 17:33:54
hi big Al 
ye I designed the foot rest myself and he gave me advice on it an any other probs I came apon. They cost 150 euro or so but anyone would save that money in time saving during the build.  
Thread: Alan's spinning wheel
10/08/2009 16:01:57
well when you break it up into its indivindual components  the majority of pieces are just turning. however there was quite a lot of work and the glue ups were tricky. but with good planning any competent turner with the tools could make one
08/08/2009 18:39:12
I made it from an article that featured in the jan 2006 issue of 'the woodworker' by Derek Toze. The wood is from an old pine beam that I bought. It was supposed to be pitch pine but it is not. I have been unable to identify the wood other wise. but my guess is ponderosa pine, douglas fir or a close cousin due to its resinous nature.

Thread: Woodworker of the Year Competition
24/12/2008 19:13:00
Can you enter more than one of your pieces into the competition???
Thread: soaking biscuits
25/11/2008 12:32:00

My resoning behind soaking the biscuits was that I used pu glue and also so they would swell in the joint. table top has not split 4 months later so something must of worked.

glad you like

Alan

Thread: oregon pine?
09/07/2008 22:00:00

Rob, Your sure are right about those characteristics and with sharp tools its a joy to turn with and excellant finish.

Sure is prone to cracking as I found out the hard way. 

Many thanks,

Alan.   

06/07/2008 22:03:00

Baz

Ye well that sixteen year old was pobably me 6 months ago when I was buying the timber!!!  When I was sixteen.

As for the spinning wheel its a working progress got the   12spokes for the wheel, the rim and the hub made  so suppose the worst is over. However Its a school project so work has to be carried out under supervision in school  And now that I'm on holidays I can only do thinkering - (the hard part)    I'll post the pictures in the gallery when its done    around next march!!!!

Alan..

Thread: SS850798.JPG
03/07/2008 23:21:00

ye at least you know its working then

then again happiness is a shed full of shaving,    dont think it said anything about a bag full of shavings

03/07/2008 15:58:00

not so bad i'm sure a jig on the stone grinder would do the trick then!! 

02/07/2008 22:33:00

What can I say, thanks mike been 17, not all fun!!!

Back to the planer,whets the story with sharpening the blades do you need special jig???      Hopefully it will work without an extracter, have seen a mate of mine who has one and works full time on high class furniture, workshops a mess and not a dust extracter to be seen, turns out fine stuff.no problem!!!!      

Bet his lungs think different

Alan

02/07/2008 18:51:00

Thanks warren no hard feelings about the reactions earlier tell you the tuth real chuffed by the reaction.,

#Was just talking to my supplier yesterday and he reckons that the scheppach is about the only one that will function properly without a dust extracter but i suppose it would be no harm . Bit more expensive than a sweeping brush though.

What kind of planer do you have ??? 

Alan.

Thread: SS850784.JPG
30/06/2008 23:30:00

Ralph

Glad you like my workshop is getting an extention next week as a 1500mm round table has to get out the door. Lots of hard work to be done pulling down walls.

Alan 

Thread: SS850798.JPG
30/06/2008 23:18:00

Thanks Rob I appreciate that,

As for the money OPJ at the age of about 11 I started selling dog kennels with minimum tools my dad had on our farm  handsaw, screw drivers, hammer etc . then bought lathe and sold bowls and lamps. then bought band saw with that money etc, ect.   Getting my planer thicknesser from the profits on the bench and savings in the next couple of weeks, have been looking at a scheppach any suggestions.

Over hear in Ireland we get our holidays in june so have had one month off already. Have not made very much yet preparing for my next big project its a round table from oak again. Have to get my planer first though.

Guy many thanks for all your thoughtfull comments I appreciate them

Alan.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact